This is a modification of Yasemin’s refeed guide to suit vegans and vegetarians!
Because of the forums Ketogenic focus, I’ve modified it to exclude high carb foods such as starches and legumes etc. Make sure to do your own research too on what suits you!
(This could vary based on the length of your fast, your weight etc.)
NO Vegetables high in fibre
NO Tempeh, tofu, seitan
What to eat:
- Vegetable broth
- Vegetable soup
- Cooked veggies
- Vegetables high in water content & low in fibre (cucumber, tomatoes etc.)
- Olive oil/ seed oil/ avocado oil
- Raw Nut Butter
- Small amounts of fermented veggies
(Vegans should take B12 supplements during refeed and afterwards)
Stay on the lower side in protein
Avoid onions (hard to digest)
- Same as day 1 + below
- Raw nuts and seeds
Normal calories (if you’re still feeling good)
- Same as day 1-2 + below
- Introduce more raw vegetables (higher in fibre)
- Introduce higher protein foods, Tempeh, tofu, seitan
- Introduce cooked onions
- Maintain a ketogenic diet for 1-2 more months (you’re already in ketosis, might as well!)
- Intermittent fasting - OMAD recommended for maintenance
Make sure you consult your physician and do your own research as well
Here’s a quick little guide for the vegans and vegetarians who want to follow a ketogenic diet:
Avoid such things as
- Grains – wheat, corn, rice, cereal, etc.
- Legumes — lentils, black beans, peas, etc.
- Sugar – honey, agave, maple syrup etc.
- Fruit – apples, bananas, oranges, etc.
- Tubers – potato, yams, etc.
Include foods such as
- Tempeh, tofu, seitan, and other high-protein, low-carb foods
- Mushrooms — shiitake, king oyster, lion’s mane, etc.
- Leafy greens – spinach, kale, etc.
- Above ground vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, etc.
- Dairy replacements – unsweetened coconut-based yogurt, coconut cream, vegan cheeses, etc.
- Nuts and seeds – pistachios, almonds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
- Avocado and berries – raspberries, blackberries, and other low glycemic impact berries
- Fermented foods — Natto, sauerkraut, kim chi, etc.
- Sea vegetables — dulse, bladderwack, kelp, etc.
- (Sweeteners) – monk fruit
- Other fats – coconut oil, olive oil, MCT oil, avocado oil, etc.