Maga’s fasting journey

Exactly. Over the years shes seen me fast on green juices and do a 20/4 or OMAD… but never a pure water fast. I will send a video to her and hope it works. Thanks for the suggestion.

1 Like

** Day 4 **

Day 4 was easy. Here are the hightlights:

• Slight negligible headaches.
  • I can breathe soooo deep today. Its like parts of my lungs have opened up that I did not know existed.
  • Sinus has cleared up signigicantly.
  • I am getting in the zone now.
  • Meditation was 10 times more powerful.
  • My wife is fed up with this… so now I need to put up with it… I am hoping I get a few days more. Lets see.
  • Again 2 BMs water only. Dont know whats going on.
  • I tried to do a walk for 30 mins and that was fun, but I am unable to do any vigorous exercise. Just dont feel upto it. I am inspired by other posters and will try to do more tomorrow.

Happy fasting everyone!!
Maga

1 Like

Day 5 - Easy and Boring. Here are the highlights

• Have a bad rash behind my neck. WTF. This had happened to me a few times.
  • BMs still only liquid.
  • I may need to break the fast soon as my work from home days may end next week. Cant afford to run to the restroom every hour or have surprise BMs. Let’s see. For now I have decide to do it till tomorrow until work plans are finalized. It’s really a shame to quit for this reason when I am feeling strong. I think I will transition with bone broth on day 1 and juice on 2 and an OMAD. I will be incorporating bonebroth for the first time since I hear it does wonders for you gut. Please let me know if there is any vegan or vegetarian equivalent of the bone broth in terms of benefits.
  • A bit disappointed that I have not reached the state of mental clarity that I love.
  • I love smelling food now and that’s enough. However it can get dangerous so I need to stop it.

Cheers
Maga

1 Like

Keto Rash is pretty common. Heres an article about it:
https://perfectketo.com/keto-rash/

As far as BM’s… could be electrolytes making you go more often. Magnesium will definitely do that as well large amounts of salt. Not sure if you are using those?

I don’t think there’s an equivalent alternative to bone broth as it is heavy in protein but you can find vegetable broth at the store if you need a replacement. Just won’t have the protein.

I love smelling food on fasts too. I make my sons meals and get a weird pleasure from watching him eat! Probably not a good thing, though!! Very tempting.

You’ve done really well so far! Hang in there as long as you feel able!

1 Like

Awesome link about the ketogenic rash. I am just going to see if it heals itself.

About the BMs… I am just doing distilled water no electrolytes or salts. It does feel like deep cleaning if you will though but very inconvenient.

I am primarily vegetarian but occasionally eat meat whilst out of the house. We never bring it home. But I will give chicken or lamb broth a shot since people say it does wonders.

Another update… my wife and I have a call with a wholistic healer who fasts tomorrow or day after depending on his schedule. This is someone we respect so it should do the tick.

Thanks a ton for the info!

1 Like

Day 6

Day 6 was blah.

• Felt low on energy and did not want to do anything. Literally, I just wanted to sit.
  • Various detox symptoms - pain in my right leg and when it disappeared, my left knee started to pain for sometime. Very manageable but a bit strange. Felt excited about literally nothing today. I was so bored of this that I actually had moments when i wanted to quit, but after day 3 its easy to ignore those impulses.
  • @yasmin Is it possible to have a way to post SOS messages, maybe another board or something we write in the subject line like “SOS” if we have thoughts of quitting. Others can weigh in and it may save a few fasts. I know you should listen to your body, but sometimes there is temptation of food and sometimes after the hard part is over its just becomes a bit boring and dull like I experienced today. The ground rule may be that if you think of ending prematurely first post an SOS and wait for a few replies.
  • I did not have any BMs, but felt not great through the day and kept burping. Think its related.
  • Had a headache in the evening too.
  • Anyway, I want to continue this but my circumstance will not allow me too. I am thinking maybe a day or 2 more if I am lucky. So I have made a refeed plan and posted it. Please give any input here. Any advise would be helpful. I needed to cusotmize it to optimize gut health and food sensitivities. Link: The reefed plan - feel free to advise or tweak or add or remove stuff
  • Now I will try to sleep but not getting any. Hoping tomorrow is better and euphoric. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Maga

Day 7

Day 7 - Rollercoaster. Could not post last night so doing it now.

• Could not get sleep until 3 am amd then vomitted some liquid that looked like slime water. Gradually felt better thereafter.
  • Was irritated with low energy and itchy rash until 5 PM. After that I slowly started to feel amazing. At that point I thought I should extend the fast a lot more.
  • I need to have a plan to focus on more productive things so that I am not bored. I did some gardening last night.
  • I applied coconut oil on the rash and the itch disappeared … but the rash is still there.

Cheers
Maga

1 Like

Day 8
Day 8 - done!! was a breeze. Initial goal achieved as I did 7 days!!

• The rash continues and not much else to report.
  • Feeling sleepy early today so that’s good.
  • Deciding to hang on until I can.

Edit: Slept for a hour an worke up… my mind is super active. Body can use the rest.
Regards
Maga

1 Like

how long are you going for @maga? Hows the rash, Is it going away and is your wife on board now?

Hey Klye,

Thanks for checking in. In a surprising turn of events the supreme court (aka wife) has granted an extension. I sent her some videos and then we talked to this wholistic doctor who is an avid water fasting practitioner. That seemed to calm her down by 50% but shes still really freaking out. This morning she told me she would recommend fasting for her brother since he is a heavy smoker. So big win. She keeps asking me how long but honestly I dont know. It’s about feeling better and I want to stay in ketosis as long as possible which will happen only during the fast. To be honest I am hoping it cures a lot of abuse that I have done to my body and the weight loss is seductive - almost 11 kgs! It’s very shallow but I get inspired when I fit into my old suits and shirts that I could not button. Please dont judge :relaxed:

On the other hand if the rash gets worse I may throw the towel in. It’s in a very small area behind the neck. The itch gets annoying. But coconut oil soothes it. I think its getting better but my wife sees no difference. It’s on the back of my neck so I cant tell.

BTW the conversation with the wholistic doctor was riviting and we shared many common thoughts. He asked to to check out the china study and I told him to check out Paradise trap. He also told me about a keto device that helps you check ketosis levels. Will share the link when I get it.

Cheers
Maga

2 Likes

I’ve been vegetarian most of my life and occasionally I’ll go vegan if I cant get local eggs or dairy. I’ve read The China Study and I wouldn’t waste my time reading it unless you want a highly biased (statistically selective), judgemental, and dogmatic view of particular diets. I hope I’m talking about the same thing you are talking about?

1 Like

Yup I believe it’s the same book. But I have no idea about the contents. I am not sure how being vegetarian is related but for the most part I am too. Will take your advise especially since I am not a great reader… I may try to find a summary on youtube for 10 mins since I am a bit intrigued but will keep your thoughts in mind. Thanks for the info!

1 Like

WOW! Thats a fantastic turn of events. I’m so happy she has come around. Good job helping her understand what it’s all about and I agree with you on fitting in nice clothes! HUGE motivator. I think most reasonable people want to look their best… especially when they have recently dropped weight.

As far as ketosis… you know you will stay in ketosis on a Ketogenic diet, right? Obviously not as deep… but when you refeed you can still stay on the path to losing weight.

Keep us posted and Thanks for the update! This made my afternoon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The China study is a book that says humans evolved solely to eat plants and spouts nonsense about meat consumption. Well not all of it is nonsense but the dogmatism is repulsive

1 Like

Day 9

Day 9 - Easy peasy

• Day 9 was easy. Went out to grab a to go meal with my wife. I was happy with the aroma… didn’t want to eat at all.
  • I had a BM today and am concerned. My digestion should have stopped way back. And this BM was not just water. Should I be concerned???
  • I have done a lot of good things in this fast like sticking to the plan and have been very bad. My water intake is very low in the past few days. I switched to a cup with a straw and sipping on water now and then has increased the amount a bit. But I think I have a drinking problem :roll_eyes:
  • Another thing is that I have been occasionally vaping. I know it’s bad… horrible… but I am an addict. Maximum I go is 48 hours without it… I am handing the device over to my wife so that my lungs benefit from the fast.
  • I did some gardening and felt happy… not sure why I bother as most of my plants die the minute I repot them. But I am hoping this is not the case this time.
  • Rash still exists and is annoying. Coconut oil helps. Research on youtube does not. There are scary images there that make me want to quit the fast.
  • I think I can manage to squeeze in a few more days.
  • A bit disappointed that I am not feeling euphoric although I have some moments of clarity. Thought I would have mental clarity and make a breakthrough life plan. But all I end up doing is thing about the refeed plan. I made myself a jar of fermented veggies… will they to post a pic.
  • My sleep patterns are out of whack… but I love staying up at night and feel amazing in the night… really active and alert… not sure why.

Cheers
Maga

1 Like

I would give you all my Euphoria in a nano second! It really messes with everything for me. It does sound like you are doing some spectacular healing things with the time and alertness you have!

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Sounds like you are smooth sailing.
BM’s are normal on extended fasts. Your body still produces mucosa and other toxins that it eliminates. Not to mention, your intestines are about 10 meters long. There’s more stored up in there than people realize (especially the stuff that adheres to the walls of the intestines). No worries. But definitely get that water in!

You can survive without food for a long period of time. That’s not the case for water.

Have a good one!

1 Like

Day 10

Day 10 Done - Cant believe it!!

• Thrilled that day 10 is done!!!
  • I am experiencing a pattern of low energy during the day, after noon naps and my mind gets hyperactive in the night. Literally, I think of doing one thing and before I start doing it a few other ideas rush in and I focus on something else. Not getting too much sleep at night… maybe 3 or 4 hours and then a nap for 2 hours in the day.
  • At times I want to go longer, and it would be easy to do so since the hunger is gone. Just need to deal with the low energy through the day and sleep patterns. On the other hand, there are times where I want to just break it and in a very unhealthy way. Today I was really enticed by this burger commercial I saw on TV. I am concerned that if I go too long, I will do what I normally do - screw up the refeed.
  • Had 2 BMs today. Not concerned. Just posting so that folks know this can happen.
  • My water intake in the night is more too. Trying to make it more consistent so that I drink in the morning too.

Thanks for reading!!

Cheers,
Maga

1 Like

@Kyle is it possible to do a flush without disturbing the fast. For instance I did a saltwater flush on another cleanse which is luke warm water mixed with non iodized sea salt and that makes you go to the rest room like crazy. Even Senna Tea can prove effective. Or should I just leave it and let the water fast take care of it. I cannot afford a medical colon cleanse at the moment.

1 Like

@Kristy now I know what you are talking about. My mind is racing and I feel like I have ADHD. I cannot focus on just one thing :wink: