S2E8 21-Day Dreams Fast Journal

Day -1 Stacking the Deck for Success

Yas asked me to start the daily journal early so people in the FB group can start linking to it so here we are 1 day before I officially start.

One of the things I did to round out the ivory tower undergraduate education I received at UCLA was go play poker in nearby Las Vegas. I did that from my 1st trip for my 21st birthday until I was 26. After I felt I learned everything I could about negotiation from playing for money, I stopped going and have never felt tempted to return.

One of the key lessons I learned was “stacking the deck for success”. For example, going out the 1st night conventions hit town when convention goers are flush and drunk or never sitting at a table where on break dealers are playing.

Here are some tips and tricks I’ve used that have helped me keep at this since August 9th of last year.

1. Have a strong “why”. For me it was either this or eventually get hooked up to a dialysis machine or have my feet amputated due to diabetes.

2. Have a specific concrete goal. For me it was to be “medication free” when I started. Accomplishing that my current goal is “6-pack at 60”.

3. Have a plan. It doesn’t have to fully fleshed out when you start as there will be a lot of unknowns in the beginning. For me it was 14 days to break my refined carbohydrate addiction and change my taste palate. Evaluate and then go on from there. Being a computer guy for over 30 years, I’d seen too many instances of “paralysis by too much analysis.”

4. My favorite saying from my time as a Software Project Manager and Test Lab Manager: “Difference between a Dream and a Delusion is a Deadline.” After I became “medication free” I’ve set hard deadlines for each phase of my current “6-pack at 60” project. Not saying I haven’t had to shift things around due to circumstances; however, the final deadline has NOT changed which is my appointment with my Primary Physician on June 12th to review my June 5th blood panel results.

Here’s how the Project Plan is currently at today:

1. Have a Daily Goal. Fasting is a passive activity. I felt I had to have a goal I could actively strive to complete on a daily basis. For the “medication free” project that was a daily 1 to 2 mile walk.

2. Have a “totem” that you keep with you that you see, touch and feel to remind you when you go through adversity.
    For the “medication free” project it was my insulin injection pen at the bottom of a picture of all the meds I was taking when I started.

1. Eliminate or minimize daily stresses in your life. A graduate student friend of mine, Anna, moved to a new apartment on the other side of town from her old apartment. For half of her 30-day fast she lived alone. Her roommate for the last half was a nurse.

2. Have a health professional to support you. For me my primary physician was a skeptic which turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it led me to finding an endocrinologist at the University of Southern California Medical School who had an interest in how fasting could help his T2 diabetic and cancer clientele. In exchange for the information I provide him from my experiences he answers my medical questions.

3. Have a support/accountability person. I recruited my pastor for weekly check ins. We kept it confidential until my weight loss was apparent to everyone.

4. Have your required supplements at hand when you start: salt, magnesium and potassium.

10 Likes

I love it!!! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::tulip: Exactly the same steps we always talk about in the group! Thanks for posting! Good to have fresh perspectives!

3 Likes

Thank You! I am paying attention and learning.

1 Like

DAY 1… Started

1 Like

Day 0/21

1. I only count a day after completing 24 hours of fasting and my Daily Routine upon waking up:

Daily Routine:
A. 5 minutes spent reviewing everything I’m grateful for
B. Daily weigh-in
C. BGL check
D. Workout
E. Enter daily stats in Zero app and tracking spreadsheets
F. Daily Journaling

1. Began the fast at 6am this morning.

2. Took the Before picture. Here is a compilation of the 3 Before pictures of all three 21-day fasts.

It’s hard to tell from the angle but I have more of a waist now due to the lean muscle mass I’ve been packing on. Abs are starting to peek out more and more.

1. After each 21-day fast, the body will regain water weight lost as it replenishes its glycogen stores. This is normal and healthy. Glycogen keeps your body from starving at night and is the primary energy source it draws upon when exercising. For me its about 9 to 10 pounds.

Since the “Eat Less and Exercise More” approach to long-term weight loss has been debunked, what has replaced it is the science backed Set Point Theory. Body Set Point is the weight range your body has determined is healthy. If you drop below it, it will slow down your metabolism to conserve calories. If you climb above it, it will speed up your metabolism to burn off the extra calories.

The way to re-set your body set point is through fasting and raising your metabolic rate through adding lean muscle mass.

Here you can see how after the massive drop in weight from the 40-day and previous fasting. It did not climb back up because my starting weight was artificially inflated from daily insulin injections and 5 years of being bedridden.

However, my new set point has settled in between 200 and 215. That weight range is what I stayed at from my early 30s up to when I was 50. Because that was my range for so many years I knew it was going to be a slow incremental process to lower it.

From the Zero App:

1. My Workout Schedule (5-Day Cycle):

Day 1. LB SS (Lower Body Static Stretching) & 1 mile walk
Day 2. LB DS (Lower Body Dynamic Stretching), AW (Abs Workout) & 1 mile walk
Day 3. 1 mile walk
Day 4. UBW (Upper Body Workout), AW & 1 mile walk
Day 5. 1 mile walk

Goals:

1. My definition of 6-pack abs:

This was the healthiest I’ve ever been in my life. 18 yo and running 10 miles 3 times per week. I can’t run anymore but there are more than 1 way to skin a cat!

1. Reverse my CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease) to normal. As of 12/7, at Stage 3a (Moderate). Stage 1 is normal.

2. Restore full health to remaining good eye, the left, to avoid cataract surgery. Already had it in the right eye.

3. Burn off more visceral fat containing preinflammatory cytokines which can raise uric acid level and trigger re-occurrence of previously cured gout.

2 Likes

Day 1/21 - (24 Hours Completed)
20 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -3lbs Total loss: -3lbs
BGL (Blood Glucose Level): Normal
Energy: :muscle: (:sob: In Pain, :yawning_face: Tired, :ok_hand: Ok, :muscle: Strong)
Exercise: .8 mile walk, AW (Abs Workout) & DFW (Dynamic Flexibility Workout)

Aches/Pains: Left elbow stiff & Left knee ached during walk
NEW: None

Today’s motivation: Right Now

Personal Section:
Day 1 went off without a hitch. I attribute that to sticking to (for the most part) a 20:4 and 2MAD schedule during the previous 30-Day Muscle & Flexibility Workout Phase. Yesterday was a rest day which I needed because I really pushed myself hard in the last phase. More than I realized.

Earlier this morning I took the CPR/AED course that’s a mandatory requirement for taking my Personal Trainer Recertification exam this Thursday. I was lucky because the company I took the course with is only 1 of 2 companies that were allowed to stay open durning this shutdown in the entire county and they were only a .4 mile walk from my home!

Next 2 days will be interesting because that’s when the transition symptoms show up. I’ve noticed that every time I do this I still get the symptoms but the effects get fainter and fainter as I’ve become more metabolically flexible.

Exercise Section:
I was able to increase my reps by 10 for all 3 ab exercises: 45-degree crunches, oblique twists and lower leg lifts to 80. The Dynamic Stretch Workout went fine but still having to hold the edge of my work desk for the 3-way leg swings. The walk caused the old college injury to my left knee to ache; but, I toughed it out. Interesting thing is I did the Dynamic Stretch Workout after the walk and it includes squats and side squats but the left knee didn’t twinge at all.

:white_check_mark: Sat 5/23 - AW, .8 mile walk & DFW
Sun 5/24 - 1 mile walk

Personal Trainer Re-Certification:

:white_check_mark: Sat 5/24 8am - CPR/AED Certification course
Thu 5/28 2pm - NASM Certification Exam

CPT Self-Study Course:

:white_check_mark: Module 17: Nutrition
:white_check_mark: Module 18: Supplementation
:white_check_mark: Module 19: Lifestyle Modification & Behavioral Coaching
Module 20: Developing a Successful Personal Training Business
Module 21: Exercise Science Updates

Speaking
Thu June 4 - Simple & Sustainable - A Science-backed Alternative to Eat Less & Exercise More

Writing

On Break until after June 4th

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

1. Graphics artist working on logo.

Lyrics to Van Halen’s Right Now song:
*“ Don’t want to wait 'til tomorrow
Why put it off another day
One more walk through problems
Built up, and stand in our way, ah

One step ahead, one step behind me
Now you gotta run to get even
Make future plans, don’t dream about yesterday, hey
C’mon turn, turn this thing around

Right now, hey
It’s your tomorrow
Right now,
C’mon, it’s everything
Right now,
Catch a magic moment, do it
Right here and now
It means everything

Miss the beat, you lose the rhythm
And nothing falls into place, no
Only missed by a fraction
Slipped a little off your pace, oh

The more things you get, the more you want
Just trade in one for the other
Workin’ so hard, to make it easier, whoa
Got to turn, c’mon turn this thing around

Right now, hey
It’s your tomorrow
Right now
C’mon, it’s everything…”*

• Van Halen - Songwriters
2 Likes

Day 2/21 - (48 Hours Completed)
19 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -6lbs Total loss: -9lbs
Energy: :yawning_face: (:sob: In Pain, :yawning_face: Tired, :ok_hand: Ok, :muscle: Strong)
Exercise: SS (Static Stretches) & 1 mile walk

Aches/Pains: Left knee intermittent pain on walk

Today’s motivation: You’re Simply the Best

NOTE:
As you noticed I choose a theme and tone for each fast. For this one I’m going with inspirational/motivation song and dance. Thinking after “6-Pack at 60” is achieved I should shoot for “Shuffle Dancing at 60”? What do you think?

If you want more straight motivation & information videos go to S2E2 21-Day Fast Journal: S2E2 21-Day Water Fast Journal

If you want more mental technique videos go to S2E6 21-Day No Surrender Fast Journal:

Personal Section:
Day 2 went as expected. Woke up tired as my metabolism slowed down transitioning to Ketosis. Got hit by 2 episodes of hunger pangs. They were faint, like the buzzing of mosquito trapped in your room. Annoying but easily ignored. Will be glad when Day 2 & 3 are over and my body finishes depleting its glycogen stores. This peeing every 1 to 2 hours is driving me NUTS!

While on the walk I debated on which should I choose the 1 or 2 mile walk? Since the body needs a lot of oxygen to oxidize fat, anything that can build on your Cardiorespiratory system is helpful. At the half mile I chose the 1 mile for the reasons that I was still getting a little shooting pain in the left knee and tomorrow’s Upper Body workout includes burpees.

Exercise Section:
See comments in previous section.

:white_check_mark: Sun 5/24 - SS (Static Stretching) & 1 mile walk
Mon 5/25 - AW, 1 mile walk & UBW

CPT Self-Study Course:

:white_check_mark: Module 20: Developing a Successful Personal Training Business
:white_check_mark: Module 21: Exercise Science Updates
NASM Certification Exam prep

Speaking
Will restart working on Fri 5/29 after NASM exam.

Thu June 4 - Simple & Sustainable - A Science-backed Alternative to Eat Less & Exercise More

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Lyrics to Tina Turner’s Simply the Best song:
*“ I call you when I need you, my heart’s on fire
You come to me, come to me wild and wired
Oh, you come to me, give me everything I need

Give me a life time of promises and a world of dreams
Speak the language of love like you know what it means
Mm, and it can’t be wrong, take my heart and make it strong, babe
You’re simply the best, better than all the rest
Better than anyone, anyone I ever met
I’m stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby, I would rather be dead

In your heart I see the start of every night and every day
In your eyes I get lost, I get washed away
Just as long here in your arms I could be in no better place
You’re simply the best, better than all the rest
I’m stuck on your heart, I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart, baby, I would rather be dead

Each time you leave me I start losing control
You’re walking away with my heart and my soul
I can feel you even when I’m alone
Oh, baby, don’t let go
You’re the best, better than all the rest
I’m stuck on your heart
I hang on every word you say
Tear us apart
Baby I would rather be dead
Oh you’re the best”*

• Bonnie Tyler - Songwriter
2 Likes

UPDATED: Did 2nd half of my split workout 2 1/2 hours after the 1st half. UBW Complete

Day 3/21 - (72 Hours Completed)
18 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -2lbs Total loss: -11lbs
Energy: :muscle: (:sob: In Pain, :yawning_face: Tired, :ok_hand: Ok, :muscle: Strong)
Exercise: SS, 1 mile walk, AW & UBW (1 of 2)

NOTE: On Upper Body Workout days I do a split workout. Half in the morning and the other half anywhere from 3 to 6 hours depending on my recovery. I started doing this in the previous 30-day workout phase and so far I’ve never not completed the 2nd half. So this is the one exception day to completing all of my Daily Routine tasks before journaling.

Aches/Pains: Left knee intermittent ache on walk

Today’s motivation: It’s My Life

Personal Section:
Day 3 - No hunger pangs. Got cold for about 2 hours then it went away. Urination frequency went down. With the harder workouts than the previous fast, having a low carb meal as my last one and the additional lean muscle mass I think I’ve cut into my transition time into ketosis. I’ll know more at the weigh in tomorrow as from the previous 3 prolonged fasts I usually drop to a single pound loss or a weight plateau for a day before picking up again.

Exercise Section:
NOTE: Because from here on out glycogen stores are depleted, I reduce some exercises and freeze others in my daily workouts for the following reasons:

1. Body postpones adding muscle until the refeed as building muscle is very energy intensive and the body has higher priorities during a fast. I save the building muscle for the 30-day workout phase.

2. Breaking down fat for energy is harder for the body than breaking down glucose and glycogen and will drain your energy levels, especially for beginners.

:white_check_mark: Mon 5/25 - SS, 1 mile walk, AW & UBW
Tue 5/26 - SS & 1 mile walk

CPT Self-Study Course:

:white_check_mark: Module 20: Developing a Successful Personal Training Business
:white_check_mark: NASM Certification Exam prep: 5/21 Reviewed

Speaking
On break until 5/29.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Lyrics to Bon Jovi’s It’s My Life song:
“ This ain’t a song for the broken-hearted
No silent prayer for the faith-departed
I ain’t gonna be just a face in the crowd
You’re gonna hear my voice
When I shout it out loud
It’s my life
It’s now or never
I ain’t gonna live forever
I just want to live while I’m alive
(It’s my life)
My heart is like an open highway
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It’s my life
This is for the ones who stood their ground
It’s for Tommy and Gina who never backed down
Tomorrow’s getting harder, make no mistake
Luck ain’t enough
You’ve got to make your own breaks
It’s my life
And it’s now or never
(It’s my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
It’s my life
You better stand tall when they’re calling you out
Don’t bend, don’t break, baby, don’t back down
It’s my life
And it’s now or never
(It’s my life)
Like Frankie said
I did it my way
(It’s my life)”

• Jon Bon Jovi, Richie Sambora & Max Martin: Songwriters
2 Likes

Day 4/21 - (96 Hours Completed)
17 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -2lbs Total loss: -13lbs
Energy: :yawning_face: : (:sob: In Pain, :yawning_face: Tired, :ok_hand: Ok, :muscle: Strong)
Exercise: 1 mile walk
Aches/Pains: Left knee intermittent ache on walk

Today’s motivation: Celebration
(For Completing 3-Day Transition)

Personal Section:
Day 4 - 1st time on a prolonged fast I didn’t have a transition day of just a pound loss or a plateau. I’ll take it!

With 13 pounds gone starting to see the results of all the hard work I’ve put into my workouts. No looking like an unhealthy zombie after losing so much weight for me!

From here on out it will be a 2 pound a day loss until I hit the visceral fat zone. Then it slows to 1 pound/day or 1 day plateaus as the body has to work harder doing detoxing in addition to using fat for energy. I’m about 8 pounds away.

Exercise Section:
First 4-Day workout cycle complete. Here’s the final form after modifications from the 1st run:

Start 4-Day Workout Cycle:
Day 1:

• Ab Workout: 50 45-degree crunches, 100 oblique twists (50/side) & 50 45-degree straight leg lifts.
  • 1 mile walk
  • Dynamic Flexibility Workout: 3-way 1 leg swing (10 reps -pendulum back and forth, 10 reps straight leg side raise and 10 reps bent knee swing from front to side) 1 rep each side, 10 reps dynamic squat (toe touch-squat-toe touch-straighten up), 10 reps dynamic squat with upper body rotation (toe touch-squat-rotate upper body to have right hand reach for the sky-same movement but left side-toe touch-straighten up), 10 reps side to side squats & 10 side-to-side squats with upper body rotations.

Day 2:

• Static Stretching: 3 reps for all stretches with 30 second holds
    Lying Quad Stretches (Prevents arching of back), Standing Hamstring Stretches (Key is keeping back straight and pivoting from hip), Seated Hip Stretch for each side (Bend knees 45 degrees) and Standing calf stretch for each calf.
  • 1 mile walk

Day 3:

• Static Stretch
  • Ab Workout
  • Upper Body Workout - Total of 10 supersets of 1st set Burpees with 2nd set Standing Bent Over Dumbbell Reverse Flys (Key is keeping upper body straight while bent at hip). No rest between 1st and 2nd set. 10 reps per exercise. NOTE: I break this up into 2 workouts of 5 supersets anywhere from 3 to 6 hours apart depending on recovery.

Here is the breakdown of a single superset:

1st round: Plank Burpees & DB Reverse Flys
2nd round: Mountain Climber Burpees & DB Reverse Flys
3rd round: Push-up Burpees & DB Reverse Flys
4th round: Calf Raise Burpees & DB Reverse Flys
5th round: Push-up Burpees & DB Reverse Flys

Day 4: 1 mile walk
:End 4-Day Workout Cycle

:white_check_mark: Mon 5/25 - SS, 1 mile walk, AW & UBW
:white_check_mark: Tue 5/26 - 1 mile walk
Wed 5/27 - Repeat 4-day workout cycle

CPT Self-Study Course:
On track for exam review. Doing 5 chapters per day.

:white_check_mark: NASM Certification Exam prep: 10/21 Reviewed

Speaking
On break until 5/29.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Lyrics to Madonna’s Celebration song:
*“ I think you wanna come over
Yeah I heard it through the grapevine
Are you drunk? Are you sober?
(Think about it)
Doesn’t matter
And if it makes you feel good then I say do it
I don’t know what you’re waiting for

Feel my temperature rising
It’s too much heat
I’m gonna lose control
Do you want to go higher?
Get closer to the fire
I don’t what you’re waiting for

I’m gonna party
(Yeah)
'Cause anybody just won’t do
Let’s get this started
(Yeah)
'Cause everybody wants to party with you

Boy you got a reputation
But you’re gonna have to prove it
I see a little hesitation
Am I gonna have to show ya
That if it feels right
Get on your mark
Step to the beat boy
That’s what its for

Put your arms around me
When it gets too hot we can go outside
But for now just come here
Let me whisper in your ear
An invitation to the dance of life

I’m gonna party
(It’s a celebration)
Let’s get this started
(No more hesitation)

Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?
You look familiar
You wanna dance?
Yeah
I guess I just don’t recognize you with your clothes on
What are you waiting for?

I’m gonna party
(It’s a celebration)
Let’s get this started
(No more hesitation)

Come join the party
(It’s a celebration)
Let’s get this started
(No more hesitation)

Boy you got it
(It’s a celebration)
Let’s get it started
(No more hesitation)
Boy you got it
Let’s get it started
(No more hesitation)
'Cause everybody wants to party with you.”*

• Madonna, Paul Oakenfold & Ian Green: Songwriters
2 Likes

Day 5/21 - (120 Hours Completed)
16 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -1lb Total loss: -14lbs
Exercise: AW & 1 mile walk
Aches/Pains: Left knee stiff

Today’s motivation: Getting Stronger Every Day

Personal Section:
Day 5 - Weight scale was being a tease today. Stepped on and at first it said 191 and I thought, “Yippee! Another 2lbs,” and then it bumped up to 191.2. :joy:

Exercise Section:
“Hit the Wall” today. All the endurance runners and athletes out there know what I’m talking about. After 90 minutes of exercise the glycogen stores in your muscles get depleted and switches to fat for fuel. During that transition you temporarily get fatigued before the switch over. But running on fat takes more energy and is the reason you don’t have the same energy level as before and the same endurance. Its the reason I froze or reduced the reps on all my exercises.

:white_check_mark: Sat 5/23 - Tue 5/26: 4-Day Workout Cycle Complete
:white_check_mark: Wed 5/27 - AW, 1 mile walk & DFW
Thu 5/28 - SS & 1.2 mile walk

CPT Self-Study Course:
Yesterday was tough as reviewing the “meatier” chapters. Studied a total of 6 hours over a 12 hour period. I was EXHAUSTED. Haven’t mentally focused for that long in a single day since I last studied for this exam 15 years ago. However, I look at it as a testament to how I’ve been able to rejuvenate my brain from when I started. Before because of the ravages of diabetes, I could only focus for 2 hours in a single day!

After 12 hours I had to call it quits. I only did 4 chapters instead of the 5 scheduled. Yesterday was the hardest day. Today I only have 2 “meaty” chapters and the remaining 5 are very light.

:white_check_mark: NASM Certification Exam prep: 14/21 Reviewed

Speaking
On break until 5/29.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Lyrics to Chicago’s Getting Stronger Every Day song:
*“ I do believe in you
And I know you believe in me
Oh yeah oh yeah
And now we realize
Love’s not all that it’s supposed to be
Oh yeah oh yeah

And knowing that you would have wanted it this way
I do believe I’m feelin’ stronger every day

I know we really tried
Together we had love inside
Oh yeah oh yeah
So now the time has come
For both of us to live on the run
Oh yeah oh yeah

And knowing that you would have wanted it this way
I do believe I’m feelin’ stronger every day
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Yeah, yeah, yeah

After what you’ve meant to me
Ooh baby now
I can make it easily
Yeah, yeah, yeah
I know that we both agree
Best thing to happen to you
The best thing that happened to me
Yeah, yeah, yeah

Feelin’ stronger every day
Feelin’ stronger every day…”*

• James Pankow & Peter Cetera: Songwriters
2 Likes

Thank you for listing your workouts. I used to go do circuit training back before the shut down. I have only been riding my bike and today going to swim, but I’ve never known how to exercise at home. This something I want to explore. There was one year I did crossfit (at 275 lb). I felt amazing and strong but my knees couldn’t hack it.

1 Like

I looked into CrossFit also for me and my clients when I was still doing personal training. I passed for the same reason for me and my clients, too hard on the joints.

1 Like

Day 6/21 - (144 Hours Completed)
15 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -2lbs Total loss: -16lbs
Exercise: SS & 1 mile walk
Aches/Pains: Left knee didn’t impede walk but a bit twingy

Today’s motivation: Gonna Make You Sweat

Personal Section:
Day 6 - Exam day is TODAY! So mentally tired from studying yesterday I slept 8 hours. I haven’t slept that long in I can’t remember the last time. I have to be at the exam site in 4 1/2 hours so its final review time.

Also I will be doing a 12 minute presentation on the science-backed alternative to Eat Less Exercise More with a 3 minute Q&A. Everybody is welcome to join (Got permission from Yas). Private message me and I’ll send you the Zoom link and a Zoom protocol procedure. The meeting starts at 7am PST Thursday June 4th.

Exercise Section:
Left knee feeling better every day. Hopefully all the aches, pains and twinges go away soon.

:white_check_mark: Thu 5/28 - SS & 1.2 mile walk
Fri 5/29 - AW, 1 mile walk & UBW

CPT Self-Study Course:
Final review after journaling.

:white_check_mark: NASM Certification Exam prep: 21/21 Reviewed
Final review

Speaking
On break until 5/29.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Lyrics C+C Music Factory’s Gonna Make You Sweat song:
*“ Everybody dance now
Everybody dance now

Give me the music
Give me the music
Everybody dance now
Everybody dance now

Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Everybody dance now
Yeah
Yeah
Yeah
Everybody

Here is the dome, back with the bass
The jam is live in effect and I don’t waste time
On the mic with a dope rhyme
Jump to the rhythm, jump, jump to the rhythm jump
And I’m here to combine
Beats and lyrics to make your shake your pants
Take a chance, come on and dance
Guys grab a girl, don’t wait, make her twirl
It’s your world and I’m just a squirrel
Tryin’ to get a nut to move your butt
To the dance floor, so yo what’s up
Hands in the air, come on say “yeah”
Everybody over here, everybody over there
The crowd is live and I pursue this groove
Party people in the house

Move (let your mind)
Groove (put me on line)

Come on let’s sweat, baby
Let the music take control
Let the rhythm move you
Sweat, sweat
Let the rhythm move you

Everybody dance now

Everybody dance now
Everybody dance now

Pause, take a breath and go for yours
On my command now hit the dance floor
It’s gonna make you sweat 'til you bleed
Is that dope enough? Indeed
I paid the price, to control the dice
I’m more precise, to the point I’m nice
The music takes control, your heart and soul
Unfold, your body is free and a whole
Dance till you can’t, dance till you can’t dance no more
Get on the floor and get raw
Then come back and upside down
Easy now, let me see ya

Move (let your mind)
Groove (put me on line)
The music is my life

Everybody dance now
Everybody dance now
Everybody dance now
Everybody

Come on let’s sweat, baby
Let the rhythm move you
Sweat, sweat
Let the rhythm move you.”*

• James Pankow & Peter Cetera: Songwriters
2 Likes

UPDATE: Completed the 2nd half of the UBW.

Day 7/21 - (168 Hours Completed)
14 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -1lb Total loss: -17lbs
Exercise: AW, SS, 1 mile walk & UBW
Aches/Pains: Left knee still twingy

Today’s motivation: Invincible
NOTE: Change of pace - Hand and eye coordination is great for your brain health and can be quite a workout!

Personal Section:
Day 7 - 1 week DOWN! 2 more to go.
Passed my recertification exam yesterday. Have to admit the old habits of celebrating a major achievement with food were tugging at me. Just focused on the fact I’ve come too far now to throw it all away. Anyway I’ll have it soon enough during ReFeed. Instead I took advantage of the free 7-day trial with CBS All Access to start binge watching Star Trek: Picard. Again the old habit of noshing tugged at me but I successfully shrugged it off.

Exercise Section:
Left knee still a bit twingy during the walk but getting better. Thought I’d provide more details for the UBW:

1. Burpee Planks - Hold plank position for 10 seconds
  2. Burpee Mountain Climbers - 5 rounds

Making progress on the Burpee pushups. Anterior deltoids and triceps are getting stronger so I was able to drop further to about 50%. Going to have to move the dumbbells soon as I have them between my handgrips so I can immediately start doing the DB reverse flys after completing the burpees set to compete the superset.

:white_check_mark: Fri 5/29 - AW, SS, 1 mile walk & UBW
Sat 5/30 - 1 mile walk

:white_check_mark: Personal Trainer Re-Certification:
PASSED: Thu 5/28 2pm - NASM Certification Exam

Speaking
Have one member of the forum attending. Will message others who I’ve helped or read my past journals to see if they would like to watch. Working on it after journaling today…

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Text conversation with graphics artist. He’s submitting drafts of BOTH the logo and a text of the business name late Sunday.

Lyrics Amaranthe’s Invincible song:
*“ Can’t you see who I am
I’m invincible

I am the voice in your dreams
So come and follow me
I am the terror unseen
In our society

Like an invincible shield
The force inside us all
Returned
To strike back
'Cause I’m unstoppable

Can’t you see who I am
I’m invincible
Like a force that is out of control
It’s the key to achieving my goals
Unbreakable
(One more time)
Can’t you hear what I say
It’s a miracle
Now you’re scared that you’re losing it all
But this power runs deep in my soul
Invincible
(Invincible!)

I am your dream in disguise
I am your enemy
I am the shadows you fear
The code awakens me

Inject the brutal vaccine
One man against them all
Like the truth never dies
I’m indestructible

Can’t you see who I am
I’m invincible
Unbreakable
(One more time)
It’s a miracle
Invincible
(Invincible!)

This power runs deep in my soul
I’m invincible
And I will never give in
Nor leave you behind
A frantic wonder united we’re stronger

Can’t you see who I am
I’m invincible
Invincible

Can’t you see who I am
I’m invincible
Unbreakable
(One more time)
It’s a miracle
Invincible.”*

• Lundberg Joacim Peter Nicklas, Moerck Olof Nils, Ryd Elise Hanna Isabell Maj Hoestbl: Songwriters
3 Likes

Good Morning! Question if you have time. How much salt do you consume and what time of day?

Good morning. I never measure. I have my own Himalayan salt jug from Costco. When I feel like it I wet a finger, dip and stick it in my mouth. Sometimes I’ll do it 2 or 3 times when my body prompts me.

I NEVER put salt in my water. As one faster remarked, “I’m NOT a fish!” LOL

2 Likes

Day 8/21 - (192 Hours Completed)
13 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -2lbs Total loss: -19lbs
Exercise: 1 mile walk
Aches/Pains: None

Today’s motivation: Don’t Stop Me Now

Personal Section:
Day 8 - First day in awhile I’ve had no stiffness, aches or pains in my knees or ankles. Felt good walking with a good stride and pace this morning.

I’m having an email conversation with 2 Registered Dietitians with the Internal Medicine Department at USC. I hope to expand my group of medical experts since the forum member who I used to depend on for nutritional advice is no longer active having to focus on her studies for her Masters degree.

I’ve dropped into the weight range when I was at university. Now comes the hard part which is burning off decades-old visceral fat that comes with its own issues. Time to road test the treatment protocol I developed that was approved by the USC endocrinologist.

Exercise Section

Anterior deltoids sore from yesterday’s UBW. Expected since I’m now holding the plank position on the plank burpees a full 10 seconds on each rep. With today’s walk that completes another round of the 4-day workout cycle.

Also with starting to dig into the visceral fat, part of my body’s energy is going to get sucked off for detox. Hope I can maintain the same workout cycle.

:white_check_mark: Fri 5/29 - AW, SS, 1 mile walk & UBW
:white_check_mark: Sat 5/30 - 1 mile walk
Sun 5/31 - AW, 1 mile walk & DFW

Speaking
Have three members of the forum attending.

I’m going to ask a friend who is a professional speaker and a past finalist for the World Championship of Public Speaking to sit through a Zoom trial run of my upcoming presentation this Thursday.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Text conversation with graphics artist. He’s submitting drafts of BOTH the logo and a text of the business name late Sunday.

Lyrics Queen’s Don’t Stop Me Now song:
Tonight, I’m gonna have myself a real good time
I feel alive and the world I’ll turn it inside out, yeah
And floating around in ecstasy
So don’t stop me now don’t stop me
'Cause I’m having a good time, having a good time

I’m a shooting star, leaping through the sky
Like a tiger defying the laws of gravity
I’m a racing car, passing by like Lady Godiva
I’m gonna go, go, go
There’s no stopping me

I’m burnin’ through the sky, yeah
Two hundred degrees
That’s why they call me Mister Fahrenheit
I’m traveling at the speed of light
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

Don’t stop me now, I’m having such a good time
I’m having a ball
Don’t stop me now
If you wanna have a good time, just give me a call
Don’t stop me now ('cause I’m having a good time)
Don’t stop me now (yes, I’m havin’ a good time)
I don’t want to stop at all

Yeah, I’m a rocket ship on my way to Mars
On a collision course
I am a satellite, I’m out of control
I am a sex machine, ready to reload
Like an atom bomb about to
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh explode

I’m burnin’ through the sky, yeah
Two hundred degrees
I wanna make a supersonic woman of you

Don’t stop me, don’t stop me
Don’t stop me, hey, hey, hey
Ooh ooh ooh, I like it
Have a good time, good time
Don’t stop me, don’t stop me, ah
Oh yeah
Alright

Oh, I’m burnin’ through the sky, yeah
Two hundred degrees
I wanna make a supersonic man out of you

Don’t stop me now, I’m having such a good time
I’m having a ball
Don’t stop me now
If you wanna have a good time (wooh)
Just give me a call (alright)
Don’t stop me now ('cause I’m having a good time, yeah yeah)
Don’t stop me now (yes, I’m havin’ a good time)
I don’t want to stop at all

La da da da daah
Da da da haa
Ha da da ha ha haaa
Ha da daa ha da da aaa
Ooh ooh ooh.

• Freddie Mercury: Songwriter
2 Likes

@compdude - This is all really familiar and really awesome :smiley: I never got to diabetes, but I’m pretty certain I was on my way. My blood sugar was rising, and I was feeling pretty awful and gaining weight year on year. It must feel very satisfying to see those medications and know they are GONE!

Why does our society not know more about this? I’ve heard all about the whole “big pharma = big profits” conspiracy, but that can’t be the whole story. The reason I say this is I live in New Zealand, where our medicines are covered by taxes (some people think of them as “free” but I’m not one of those people.) Most scripts costs $3 for the initial script, then are free for repeats. Yet we STILL have the same problems as the US - a fat population getting sicker year by year, and nobody willing to change the status quo.

Maybe the food industry is the real problem here. Or maybe it’s a combination of factors, all of which boil down to people being more profitable when we’re sick than when we’re well. Which is, well, pretty sick…

To get to my next point…you’ve talked a few times about adjusting your taste palate. Can I ask you how you did this? Because although I’m pretty happy with my diet now, there are a few foods I want to quit, yet seem unable to. I’d be keen to learn how to find them unappealing any more, if it’s possible to do that.

I like your idea about having a deadline. I guess I’m wary of doing that when it comes to my biggie (curing my epilepsy), as it’s something that’s not often done. I’m also scared of failing on something so big. How do you push past the fear of failure when you set a deadline?

Thanks for all your posting and support on this forum - its incredibly useful and appreciated :slight_smile:

Day 9/21 - (216 Hours Completed)
12 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -2lbs Total loss: -21lbs
Exercise: AW, 1 mile walk & DFW
NOTE: Taking away reporting Aches/Pains will re-add if they re-occur.

Today’s motivation: Move Your Body
NOTE: 3 months before I started my current treatment protocol, I was a fervent believer in the Eat Less Exercise More approach to getting healthy. Because I was so overweight when I started I was scared of going for a walk and being unable to walk back. As a solution I found shuffle dancing. I couldn’t execute the basic moves so I created my own routine and created 30 minute YouTube playlists. It allowed me to go at my own pace and exercise in my room.

I bring this up because just because we are under various forms of pandemic lockdown is NO EXCUSE not to exercise.

Personal Section:
Day 9 - Saw on the news that 24 Hour Fitness, where I began my career as a Personal Trainer and is the 3rd largest gym chain in the U.S., filed bankruptcy. I did some digging and realized that here was an opportunity. I spent 2 years there honing my craft and when I left I was the #2 ranked personal trainer in the gym due to a 96% client retention rate. Decided to take advantage of that. Through LinkedIn I sent a connection request to their new CEO. Will see if anything comes of it

I’ll create the website after I get the logo from the graphics artist. I already have the domain names. Luckily I have website developer skills!

Exercise Section

Walking better and better because I’m pain free! Whee!

:white_check_mark: Wed 5/27 - Sat 5/30: 4-Day Workout Cycle Complete
:white_check_mark: Sun 5/31 - AW, 1 mile walk & DFW
Mon 6/1 - SS & 1 mile walk

Speaking
Have three members of the forum attending.

My professional speaker friend agreed to evaluate my Zoom presentation. We’re set for 10am Tuesday 6/2.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Will touch base with graphics artist this evening. He’s submitting drafts of BOTH the logo and a text of the business name late Sunday.

Lyrics Eiffel 65’s Move Your Body song:
Work out your mind mind
Work out your body move your mind
Move your mind mind
Work out your body body
Work out your mind mind
Move your mind mind
Work out your body move your

Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody
Move your body, move your body
Everybody come on now everybody
Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody
Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody

You want to move the world
Start with your body
Yo, come on you gotta start with something
If you wanna move your mind
Just move your body
Move your mind, move your mind
It’s gonna cost you nothing
You want to move someone
Start with your body
Yo come on and try to move somebody
If you wanna move alone
Then everybody will move along with you

Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody
Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody

Work out your mind mind
Move your mind mind
Work out your body body
Work out your mind mind
Move your mind mind
Work out your body move your

You want to move the world
Start with your body
Yo, come on you gotta start with something
If you wanna move your mind
Just move your body
Move your mind, move your mind
It’s gonna cost you nothing
You want to move someone
Start with your body
Yo come on and try to move somebody
If you wanna move alone
Then everybody will move along with you

Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody
Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody

Move your body
Every everybody
Move your body
Come on now everybody
Everybody come on now everybody.

• Vincenzo Consiglio & Antonio Rossi: Songwriters
3 Likes

Day 10/21 - (240 Hours Completed)
11 days to Project Deadline: 6/12/20

Weight loss: -1lb Total loss: -22lbs
Energy: :yawning_face: (:sob: In Pain, :yawning_face: Tired, :ok_hand: Ok, :muscle: Strong)
Exercise: SS & 1 mile walk

Today’s motivation: Bring Me to Life

Personal Section:
Day 10 - Digging into the decades-old visceral fat. Energy levels have dropped and having to brush my teeth twice a day now because of the increase of keto breath. The question is will I have enough energy for my hardest workout day of my 4-day cycle which is the UBW? Now you know why I split the UBW superset into two. I can just drop the 2nd half if I don’t have the energy.

Exercise Section

Walking better and better.

:white_check_mark: Wed 5/27 - Sat 5/30: 4-Day Workout Cycle Complete
:white_check_mark: Sun 5/31 - AW, 1 mile walk & DFW
:white_check_mark: Mon 6/1 - SS & 1 mile walk
Tue 6/2 - AW, SS, 1 mile walk & UBW

Speaking
Worked on it yesterday. Now translating it into slides that I’ll have in conjunction with my Zoom presentation Thursday. What I like about the process is its allowed me to focus on just presenting the benefits instead of the “nuts and bolts” under the hood.

Writing

NASM CEU Course:

Rebranding Business

Graphic artist was busy with other projects on Sunday. Promised to have it for me later today. That’s good as I hope to add the logo to all my slides for the presentation and I can begin building the website.

Also retrofitted my Twitter account to the new brand name and look.

Lyrics Evanescence’s Bring Me to Life song:
How can you see into my eyes like open doors?
Leading you down, into my core
Where I’ve become so numb, without a soul
My spirit’s sleeping somewhere cold
Until you find it there, and lead it, back, home

Wake me up inside
Wake me up inside
Call my name and save me from the dark
Bid my blood to run
Before I come undone
Save me from the nothing I’ve become

Now that I know what I’m without
You can’t just leave me