Maga’s fasting journey

** Day 12 **

Day 12 - same…

• Had a pinch of salt in the morning to combat the sluggishness and it made an impact. Tomorrow I will try mineral water. However I did nap for an hour but think I am on course to breaking the afternoon nap pattern.
  • The rash is subsiding… hooray!
  • I am not hungry but today I was really tempted by salted peanuts. I think I will do the fast until October 2nd or 3rd.
  • My ear has been clogged since ages and I had forgotten about it. But it unclogged today and I can hear so much better. Absolutely awesome.

Happy fasting all!
Maga

2 Likes

Its 1 am in the morning and I am binge watching youtube meal prep recipies :innocent:

Somehow watching is just so satisfying…

In a pretty bad way today… The COVID situation has imacted my employment and I am just uncertain about everything. Today a job offer made to me was revoked and the position went on hold. This is the 3rd time this shit has happened. I usually deal with this stuff well but today my emotions are hightened hence venting. Going through cycles of anger, calm, sad, feeling unlucky and then normal and it switches every 15 to 20 mins. Just frustrated with everything. On the flipside I may extend the duration of the fast as I have nowhere to go… Thought I would start refeeding a couple of days prior to joining… but oh well…

Maga

1 Like

Hey Maga,

I’m so sorry to hear about the troubles your are going through. This year has truly been the worst I can ever recall. I hope something comes your way VERY soon and you can navigate the challenges in the meantime. :slight_smile:

On another note… AMAZING work on your fast. You have become a fasting Pro! It’s inspiring to read your journey.

2 Likes

** Day 13 **

Day 13 was a rollercoaster

• Fast has become easy, rash had decreased amd no BMs
  • Did not do the pinch of salt today. Had a afternoon nap for 45 mins
  • Got into this mega productivity mode amd started many projects that I procrastinated on to distract myself.

Cheers
Maga

Mini update - Something clicked yesterday after I calmed down and I have been making some major changes. I hope it’s not just in the heat of the moment. I threw out all my vape stuff that I have spent a lot of money on. I threw out all my chips stash and chocolates. My wife thinks I am nuts and the fast is making me insane… LOL… I will work hard to prove her wrong. Now it’s a ego thing too… I feel happy amd wonderful… sorry about the prior rant… PS: Do you think this behaviour is just impulse driven and a bit insane.

Cheers
Maga

1 Like

This is WONDERFUL! Will it be difficult, yes! Will you have unmanageable compulsions and impulses, YES! Is it all transient? YES! Even if it is a spur of the moment thing THIS MOMENT is all we have. It is our job to be awake and present in it. Take it one breath at a time. Find and cultivate a support network. We are here for you!

1 Like

** Day 14 **

• Been uber productive. Threw a bunch of stuff out and prepared for my daughters Birthday!
  • Have maintained a positive mindset today.
  • Get tempted by food from time to time. It’s just temptation not hunger.
  • Have been burping a lot.
  • Need to make conscious efforts to up my water intake.
  • Rash is subsiding.
  • Concerned about the refeed. A longer fast seems easy at this point… but the refeed would need to be longer too… which will be hard… I have never got this right. At times I think I should fast as long as I can and at other times I feel like ending it so that I can focus on the refeed.
  • Have a bunch of social occasions upcoming. Let’s see how it goes.

Regards
Maga

1 Like

** Day 15 **

Day 15 - Expected it to be a lot harder, but it was not!!

• Today was my daughter’s birthday and there were pizza, chips, cake and chocolates all around (major food groups as I called them). I did not eat and was at ease. I did smell everything and the baked sweet things were amazing. We had a cupcake decoration activity too… yet I survived!! Interestingly, I was a bit disgusted with how much food wastage there was. I usually do not care about such things… Oh well…
  • I did save a special little (actually massive) slice of cake for later and put it in the freezer for later @Kristy Thank you!!
  • I have been watching youtube food recopies for at least 45 mins each day. Dont know why.
  • 5 people commented on my weight loss. I acted like I did nothing special… just avoided junk food.
  • Tomorrow will be a tougher test as I have friends over for dinner. Plan to tell them. There is no other way to survive the night.
  • My tongue is massively coated and the odor is becoming an issue for me.
  • Rash has subsided by 90% but still exists. No itchiness at all.
  • I need to change my cycles so that I sleep at night properly and am awake and alert in the day, not the other way around. Any tips would be helpful.
  • The wife has started freaking out again. Her brother is inspired to follow in my footsteps after seeing the transformation. I am bit concerned about leading someone this way who is not very educated about the process. But not my primary concern now.

Regards,
Maga

2 Likes

Good luck getting a better sleep cycle. I have a serious sleep illness and proper sleep hygiene is CRUCIAL. I’ll always have to take medications for my illness but for most people the following will help:

regular exercise

strictly keeping to a schedule (no matter what- even if I’m not tired I have to be in bed by 8:30pm and I have to lay there for at least a couple hours before I’ll let myself take more meds)

meditation

relaxations exercises before bed (I do a loving kindness body scan and am usually asleep by the time I finish it)

lavender oil on an eye pillow

no media/computer/tv screens for at least an hour before bed.

You could also try melatonin to help. I keep my sleep schedule religiously. The pattern makes all the difference some nights- oh and white noise

1 Like

@Kristy Thank you. Will youtube and find out about the kindness meditation.

What is an eye pillow? Never knew that’s a thing. Will google it.

Will avoid TV and all screens an hour before sleeping. Have some blue light blocking glasses… need to find them.

Thanks for the tips. Usually I have no issues sleeping. It just gets weird every fast. Like may day has 2 cycles of being awake then sleepy and repeat in the night. Not sure why.

2 Likes

** Day 16 **

• Today we hosted a dinner party at home with our friends. I broke the news to them that I would not eat or drink. They were shocked at first and then came around. It was easier than expected and became an interesting conversation for 45 mins. Was a bit tempted but the thought of eating anything was repulsive.
  • I am loosing count of days… everytime I flip up to my last post to check what day I am on.
  • All else is same… nothing new to report.
  • I have set a maximum limit or the fast which is 21 days. Only reason to do that is to ensure I can do a proper refeed. My concern is that I may go on a long fast and then just break it I’m an incorrect way… I want to give the refeed the time and attention it deserves.
  • Having second thoughts on the refeed plan after seeing this video of a person doing the ADF for 2 years. Kind of motivated to adopt a ADF or 3 day fast a week method. Will reflect on it more. Honestly staying in a fasted state seems so much more easier than the stress of food prep and what to eat and how much to eat.

Cheers
Maga

3 Likes

Day 17

• Screwed up today. Met with some colleagues… did not eat or drink but one of my friends had a disposal vape which I took. Totally disappointed with myself and beat myself up by almost abruptly breaking the fast and then thing all my good work is pointless. However I am over it and done with the self pity. Ready to move on. It is what it is.

Day 18

• Feel amazing in a way… totally clear… but am very angry too… I am feeling heightened emotions… I got into an argument with almost everyone I met today and it is definitely uncharacteristic of me. My tolerance for BS today was 0. I hope my mood gets better tomorrow.
  • If feels like I had a deep detox from the vaping today as I could feel my breath getting deeper and sinus opening up. I honestly think the bad mood was from this detox.
1 Like

Great job on such a long fast!!

The 0-tolerence is probably associated with the vaping yesterday. I would imagine it is more of an anger at yourself (because I get that way when I mess something up) but you definitely have to let that go as you jumped right back on the horse. Be proud of the resilience you have!

Day 17 seems to be a stumbling block for many ( I haven’t gone THAT long yet, so I don’t know from personal experience) so, congratulations on surpassing that milestone.

The length of your fast is very impressive, make sure to take special care when refeeding. I know the longer the fast the more caution is needed with refeeds.

GREAT WORK Maga!! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks @Kyle… yes its related to the vaping… I experienced some major detox symptoms yesterday and today along with a plethora of emotions. I have been bad this fast with the vaping! But now somehow my body knows I am done with it and I have had some yucky acid reflux and gas and threw up nasty stuff… even felt my sinus clearing up more. The body is very intelligent. It just knows stuff. BTW… after I am detoxed form this vape episode I plan to refeed… maximum 2 or 3 days more of fasting…

1 Like

Day 19

• Had some belching and slight vomiting. This was probably because of the vaping episode.
  • Have this acidity type of feeling.
  • Feel mentally clear and calmed down in the evening.
  • Had the best sleep in a while last night… woke up at 10:15 am instead of 7:30 am. I was surprised.
  • Will focus on a proper refeed plan… want to revisit mine and incorporate a 5:2 in it.
2 Likes

Day 20

• Feeling itchy all over. Still no visible signs of rashes… but WTF.
  • Feel mentally awake and a less energetic through the day.
  • Bumbed out by the itchiness as I was ready to end the fast today. Let’s see how tomorrow goes. I may end it tomorrow if the itchiness goes.

Day 21

• Reached day 21! Yay! I was thinking this would be a 4 to 7 day journey maximum. However a few things came together and I was able to extend it.
  • I wanted to end my fast today but was a bit nauseous and still itchy… so I assumed there is some detox going on. Honestly I am a bit scared of the refeed. My biggest fear is a reaction to any food will just flair up on my skin.
  • I have ordered some bone broth for tomorrow. So I think I will end it tomorrow.
  • Have a social outing tomorrow… Its a pizza party. I don’t think I will do anything stupid… but will stay conscious.
  • At times I feel really done with the fast and at other times I want to go longer. However most likely tomorrow or day after I will refeed… My better half is really freaked out now.

Maga

2 Likes

21 days!! So remarkable. Whatever you decide you seem to be extremely mindful about it and I think thats the most important part. Congrats on THREE WEEKS!!!

2 Likes

Have your broth and refeed near a restroom. Give yourself some time - it can get messy.

Start low on the cals, and build up daily.

Well done veggies in the bone broth, avocado, soft food.

Never trust a fart.

3 Likes