Electrolytes & Supplements: Water Fasting

By later on do you mean further into an extended fast once symptoms begin to arise?

2 Likes

Both, further on and/or when symptoms start to arise or you feel the need to use it!!

4 Likes

@Yasemin Thank you :pray:

3 Likes

I need to try that

3 Likes

Just be aware, flavored supplements may affect insulin spikes.

4 Likes

If my ketone levels drop ill keep that in mind . But so far its good.
I have lost a lot of weight . So I think it is fine

4 Likes

In terms of using multi-vitamins on an extended fast, Iā€™m wondering if one should consider doubling up on the average one-a-day drugstore bought multi-vitamin. My reasoning being, Iā€™m often recommended that I increase my sodium and magnesium intake during an extended fast, since the body doesnā€™t appear to hold onto these as well when thereā€™s no food intake.

3 Likes

Define extended fast please.

In all honesty many donā€™t take any vitamins at all.

3 Likes

This makes a lot of sense why I was having such intense headaches and light headedness during my fast -especially in the mornings.

Question: How does this affect the overall effects of autophagy? My primary goal was to trigger autophagy for its cellular reset effects. Would taking supplements reverse it? I have just recently finished a 4 day water fast without any supplements and Iā€™m very curious on how to do it efficiently again. I did find having water next to my bed help when waking up.

7 Likes

Those headaches could be carb related. Were you fat adapted going in?

If Iā€™ve had a lot of carbs or sugars, I get the keto hangovers within 24-48 hours.

2 choices with that - either expect and barrel through or go seriously low carb before starting the fast so youā€™re already in keto.

3 Likes

Agree with you:

Best to stick to water and salt for basics

Headaches can be 2 things:

• Depleted sodium levels
  • Carb/Sugar withdrawal

For anyone taking flavoured & powdered ā€œelectrolytesā€ please keep in mind, if it tastes too good to be true it probably have sweetener which can affect Autophagy and also spike your insulin! Best to check the ingredients and stay away from Stevia etc. (Use the fast to drink water - detox from sweetness and flavours, and break your sugar addiction for the long run!)

Rule of thumb: if itā€™s too good to be true and tastes sweet itā€™s probably a Nono

@tay1992 If itā€™s working for you, just keep going and if ever you hit a plateau, take it to the next level - you know the next logical step :kissing_heart:

4 Likes

Sodium is probably the only one you need that will make the BIGGEST difference. And you have some stored in your body so youā€™re good to go!

Youā€™re ready for next round!!!

4 Likes

It always makes me sick when taken on empty stomach

Then it is no longer water fast. It is lemonade diet

2 Likes

Apple cider vinegar means you break a water fast, by taking vinegar ?

1 Like

@donna @annjunie

Iā€™m having insomnia during my water fast.Does taking magnesium help with that?And should I take it?

1 Like

Depends on why people are fasting, if heartburn is excruciating and will stop people from the continuing the water fast, better to dilute a bit of ACV into water and keep going :sparkling_heart::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Whatever works for everyone, if they squirt a bit of lemon or put some ACV itā€™s no big deal - our group is open to it so judgement-free here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Yes I agree with you - removed the lemon supplements that someone posted on this thread to avoid confusing anyone because those Amazon bought flavoured supplements always say Ā« zero sugar Ā» but they always have stevia leaf or sweetener - best to stick with water and not try to buy some magical supplements ā€¦ if it tastes good itā€™s too good to be true :joy::sparkling_heart::clap:t2: Thanks Milla!!

3 Likes

I definitely feel sick when i take zinc on an empty stomach. I wonder how one can take zinc supplement while on water fast?

1 Like