What's normal bowel movement during fasting

I know it’s a weird question to ask but I’m concerned because I’ve been doing alternate day fasting for over two weeks and have only had 1 bowel movement since beginning of April. My diet includes oatmeal, boiled eggs, chicken, banana, peanut butter, mixed vegetables, beetroots, broccoli, pears and seldomly I’ll have a chocolate during my feast days. What else can I do to get my bowels moving, is it not dangerous and unhealthy. I don’t know if it qualifies as constipation. Please help! Should I take laxatives?

1 Like

I’d check with your doctor

1 Like

This is actually one of my favorite topics. I’ve had a very hard time with normal bowel movements since I came off my 30 day fast. I’m on a meat, cheese and eggs only diet and there’s not enough fiber to keep things moving. I regularly take stool softeners and occasionally MiraLAX and that does the trick. Drinking plenty of water helps. I don’t get concerned about not having a bowel movement unless I go four or five days without one. I am approaching two months with this system. One positive side effect of this is, I don’t have to compete for toilet paper. :grin:

3 Likes

It took me about a month after my 40-day before my b.m.s became normal. 2 weeks after my 21-day and after my recently completed 2nd 21-day, it was normal the next day. I guess it takes the body several iterations of prolonged fasting to adjust.

1 Like

Hi there. First time poster here. I was taking a laxative I got from Walmart called Clarks. I started because I was taking Tylenol 3s for osteoarthritis in my knee. I find them to be mild but def get me moving within about 12 hours. I take 2 per day. I am in my 14th day of water fasting and I’ve had no side fx. They are cheap too. I think 72 were about $7 canadian.

It’s an important issue that I think people don’t address or are embarrassed to talk about. But fasting definitely would effect our systems differently and sometimes we need to check if some side effects require medical attention or not.

2 Likes

it is my favorite topic also and finding a good fasting for weight loss