Thinking of starting a 10 day water fast, but worried about comorbidities

Hey there!

The most I’ve gone before was 72 hours (on the clock, lol). That was sometime ago, when my health was in a better shape.

Now, I have this egging breathing difficulty that doesn’t let me sleep properly. I have been diagnosed with sleep apnea, and asthma, then asthma again, then told it’s impossible that I have asthma - just all over the place.

So I have shortness of breath and I generally don’t sleep well. My question is: not from a medical pov because I understand none of this is medical advice, but from personal experience, is water fasting known to exacerbate these 2 issues very sensitive to me? Does water fasting keep you up at night, and have you ever felt any shortness of breath while doing it?

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome to our fasting community @azbe11

I don’t believe fasting would make your breathing worse but each person is different, if you start fasting and your breathing gets worse then stop and perhaps do shorter fasts until you feel better. Check out the link below and do some research on NAC which has a lot of benefits as well as helping with breathing issues. I started having some difficulty with breathing first noticed by 3 different people in October 2021, for the last 2 or 3 months, I have been taking NAC and have Noticed an improvement.

I also have very bad insomnia and for me, fasting can make it worse but again it is different for everyone, I have some serious health conditions that cause my symptoms. I would say take a good amount of magnesium before bed and try other natural supplements and herbal teas for sleep, to see what works best for you.
I am currently fasting with @Mandy and you are welcome to join, I will be fasting all year apart from days I decide to refeed and jump back on. Feel free to check in when you start. All the best :pray:t4:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for the reply!

I haven’t heard about NAC. I see that it’s produced from 2 amino-acids found in meat and dairy, and I get plenty of those in my diet, but I will definitely try it out at least for peace of mind.

I’m sorry to hear about your sleep issues :pensive: I know how frustrating it is not being able to function normally during the day, how tiresome everything becomes. Each person is different, but at least for me, it’s not only affected my enjoyment of everyday activities, it has affected my work life as well and it sucks big time. I hope you find a solution for your insomnia soon.

As for checking in with you guys, thanks so much for the support! It would definitely help. I’m looking into buying supplements today or tomorrow and I will probably start soon, but I think I’ll keep to myself the first few tries because I’m a bit insecure :sweat_smile: and I would like to at least get my feet wet first.

So yeah, I will update once I got everything down and feel secure sharing everything. Thanks again!

1 Like