Starting my 40 day fast

Hi everyone,
My name is Amy and I currently live in Paris. During quarantine in April I embarked on a 21day fast but was only able to complete 17days because I just couldn’t deal with the foul mouth odour and tongue coating.
As of yesterday I am attempting a 40day water fast.
Yesterday was day 1 - I had to deal with the hunger pangs but nothing too drastic.

6 Likes

Guau Amy! 17 days is such an accomplishment. I’m in day 1 of my 7 day water fast and I’m already struggling…any suggestions to get trough the first days?

1 Like

I’m currently on day 17 of what was going to be a 40 day fast. I’m having the exact same issue. The foul mouth odor and tongue coating gave me nausea so I might end my fast at 21 days. I can’t imagine 23 more.

1 Like

Hi Beita,
hope you are well and you were able to power through the first day. I think the first 3days is sheer willpower. You just gotta make up your mind and avoid the kitchen. Hang in there day 4 will hopefully be a breeze. loads of love !

Hi Bralee,
It’s so refreshing to find someone with the same issues ! The first time I attempted the fast, I think I could’ve easily done the 21days if it wasn’t for the foul mouth. I’ve just never experienced that. I felt gross and just couldn’t take lol. This time I’m prepared. I have a tongue scrapper, mouthwash specially for bad odour and some apple cider vinegar. (I will let you know if it works).
Although I gave up, I’ll urge you to power through. Apparently it does get better around day 20. Hang in there. let me know !
loads of love !

2 Likes

Day 2 - I ran a few errands in the afternoon and was feeling good. Around 6pm I had massive hunger pangs but nothing to want me to quit. Sleep wise, I wasn’t able to shut my eyes until 6am. I was quite surprised by this because during my first fast I felt sleepy most of the time and went to bed really early. It could be interesting to see if and how my sleeping pattern changes.
I’m also looking forward to post day 15 for the mind clarity effect as I have some life decisions to make and it will help if my mind was at its best.
All of you embarking on a fast whether for 7days or more, hang in there !
Also is it weird that I find counting hrs easier than days ?
loads of love, Amy

1 Like

Day 3 - This has been the easiest day so far. Minimal discomfort but I’m already getting the Keto smell. I guess it’s a good thing but I’m a bit weary as to my ability to cope with the smell if it gets really bad. The foul smell was the reason I ended my first fast at day 17 instead of 21. I really hope I can power through when the time comes but right now I feel good and grateful !
Taking it one day at the time ! Tomorrow I would’ve completed 10% of my fast ! yeah me ! In my mind I’m doing 10x 4day fasts and it seems to work !
I shall report tomorrow.
Loads of love,
Amy

2 Likes

Breaking it down is helpful for me as well… although I haven’t gone anywhere near 40 days. You go! Looking forward to reading your journey! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Day 4 - I have been in my thoughts today, realising how much time I spent thinking about food, shopping for food, prepping food, cooking, eating and looking at places to eat out. I was also quite bored today so I got reminded of the necessity to get rid of my emotional eating.
In terms of weight loss, I am not weighing myself until the end. For some reason it’s easier for me.
Physically, I feel fine. produced an excess amount of mucus but nothing too drastic. I can smell my body odour changing but nothing too surprising as I am full on Keto now.
I think the detoxing process has started as I woke with no less than 6 gigantic pimples on my face. I hope it will clear soon as I look like a 16year old teenager lol. :upside_down_face:
My energy level was ok - I went about my day pacing myself just for precaution and it was all good.
I also bought some water containing naturally high amount of magnesium and sodium to drink while taking my potassium supplement.
Let’s see what day 5 has in storage for me.
Until then,
Loads of love,
Amy

4 Likes

Day 5 done ! Today has been the easiest so far.
Morning breath was a bit more pungent than usual :mask:. No big deal though, my tongue scrapper and mouthwash was ready for it :wink: !
I had fun at the grocery store today. In France there is a gazillion choice when it come to bottled water, yogurt and cheese. I had fun at the bottled water aisle and bought 8 different types of water, some still, some sparkling, some with high mineral content such as magnesium or calcium. I look forward to tasting all of them and doing some mix match to not get bored.
In all honesty, boredom is my number 1 enemy during this fast.
Anyways I’m taking it a day at the time and convincing myself that the day has ended at 6pm and giving into any temptation after that time is stupid and it’s working !
I still haven’t weighed myself and thinking about doing so every 10days.
Anyways that’s all for today,
See you tomorrow,
Amy

3 Likes

I miss my cooking time :joy:

2 Likes

Developing new hobbies, or expanding on old ones is essential for me. Right now I am keeping busy by folding 2,000 origami cranes (1,000 for each niece). I thought that would be a thoughtful x-mas gift since they need nothing material. They loved the idea that I had done this before for a friend to make a “wish” so I figure it’ll be a nice gift.

Another thing I do- I’ve made a list of everything I like doing or chores. If I get hungry or bored I have to pick something from that list, set a timer for 20 minutes, and do that task until the timer is done. I also use this “busyness” as an opportunity to listen to audio books. I am also a big loner and after being cooped inside with the pandemic I have made a genuine effort to reach out to friends once a week to check in on them. Not only does this focus my attention on someone else it helps bring joy, kindness, and compassion

3 Likes

Same, although I hate the cleaning hahaha :wink:

1 Like

Hey Kristy,
This is such a great idea. I just made my list and looking forward to working on them this week.
Thank you :hugs:

1 Like

Day 6 - I just didn’t feel it ! It was quick and painless.
I decided to rearrange my closet and it will keep me busy for the next 2-3days which is great.
My new mouthwash is doing wonders, my mouth and tongue no longer has the foul smell I dread so much. :tada:
I got some disappointing news this evening and thought my emotional eating will quick in, but nothing! Absolutely nothing ! :muscle: (I’m really proud of myself). Usually I would’ve automatically turned to food to feel better or cope. This time I literally said - "Ooo well I tried my best ! and maybe it wasn’t meant to be ! " and just shrugged it off ! It took me a minute to realised I wasn’t triggered which is awesome :smile: :smile:
My body and mind are changing !!! yes ! I’m so happy it’s ridiculous :sweat_smile:
I hope tomorrow is as great as today,
until then,
loads of love,
Amy

2 Likes

Day 7 - done !
This fast is surreal to me ! no hunger pangs, no nausea, no foul smell (thanks mouthwash) - Just very little discomfort.
@Kristy I made use of the list I created upon your advice and it’s a game changer. Thank you!! :hugs:
I had a ton of errands to run today and I also took my friend shopping today! 5hrs+ on my feet and I felt good. Obviously I had to pace myself but it was good and I felt good. Came back had a shower, then a nap and binged on YouTube videos right after.
Food has def not being on my mind and I’m super thankful.
I’m feeling great and doing great !
Hoping tomorrow will be as great.
Until then,
Loads of love,
Amy :orange_heart:

4 Likes

I’m so happy the list helped you! It helps with fasting but I first learned about this skill from my neurologist when I was super sick and was very limited in what I could do. What I’ve discovered over the years as my list has changed based on hobbies and lifestyle and what I once used as things to “occupy my time” are now ingrained parts of my identity. Now movement, volunteering, and being in nature are no longer activities on my list but essentials for each day.

1 Like

It will be great if I transform my list into habits. It will take my mind off food for sure !

Day 8 completed !
I have an early meeting tomorrow so I’m hitting the sack a little early today.
Today was noisy (haha :sweat_smile:) lots of growling and thoughts of food. It only lasted a couple of minutes but happened 3-4 times.
Nothing major to report. I went about my day with no real discomfort such as dizziness, nausea, foul smell and the usual culprits of a water fast.
My energy level hasn’t really changed but I make sure I pace myself and not make any sharp sudden movements.
See you tomorrow,
Loads of love,

3 Likes

Day 9 completed !
I didn’t get much sleep yesterday and my morning meeting took a lot out me. Felt really tired and not good until I took a nap for about 3hrs. Felt alright afterwards but food was very much on my mind. I was projecting myself enjoying healthy food but not craving to have them now. It’s weird. :thinking:
I think my mind knows eating is def not for now lol.
Also, I had some stomach tightening this evening, it’s just unpleasant but not painful.
It’s like my mind is thinking about food, but knows it can’t have it. My stomach is craving food but my mouth is def saying no - I’m not sure if I make sense but that’s how I feel.
There is no foul smell in my mouth but it’s sweeter than it was yesterday. My whole body has an acetone smell no matter how many times I shower. :confused: - I guess I just need to put more of my favourite perfume !
Nothing else to report. See you tomorrow on day 10 for the weigh in !
Till then,
Loads of love,

2 Likes