Starting a 28 day water fast, what to expect?

I’m starting a 28 day water fast, well technically - I’ve already started (day 1 today). I have a few questions but first here’s my background:

Have fasted for 10 days previously

Had gastric sleeve surgery earlier this year so have gone from 308lbs to 195lbs. 29 year old, 5’8" male.

Feeling great about myself, but fear the mental addiction to food hasn’t gone away - this fast is partly for weight loss, partly to higher my discipline. Don’t get me wrong, I can restrain myself better than I used to and have done a few rounds of 72 hours at a time on protein shakes (around 500 cals per day). But haven’t done a fast since 2013 where I did a 10 days.

My weight has gone up and down my whole life. Previously I’d lost 75lbs and got down to my lowest weight of around 140lbs. Then I completely let myself go and got up to my highest ever weight of 308lbs over a 6 year period.

My question is, although it massively varies, what can I expect to lose on a 28 day fast? I’m aware a lot of it won’t be fat. Should I expect the typical 1-2lbs per day? If you’ve previously done this, what did you lose over this period / a similar period?

I’ve heard of people taking supplements when doing an extended fast, other have not. I haven’t got any at the moment, but can get some delivered by tomorrow so either way - no issue. I’m just wondering if its necessary? I never did this whilst on a 10 day fast, but I’m doing almost triple the time this time.

As for hunger, during my 10 day fast in 2013 I experienced major hunger constantly from the 2nd to the 4th day (maybe 5th). 1st day is always the easiest for me. Then it came in waves throughout the fast. From memory, these waves occurred everyday. I didn’t help myself when experiencing them as I would look up food reviews and watch people eating on YouTube etc. Basically obsessed about food then when it went, I no longer cared about food then it came back etc… so essentially I learned as long as you can stay strong during the waves, you’re good. I didn’t particularly experience much fatigue. I did feel insanely bored though which I hear is common.

Anyway that’s about it, this thread is partly for accountability also. I will update it as I progress and of course, if i fail before the 28 days are over - I won’t hold back on updating either.

2 Likes

Welcome to our fasting community @Tom_Berry

@Yasemin set up this forum and she has a YouTube channel, you should be able to get some answers there, I have added a link to one of her videos below, also a very well done on your progress so far, keep going and I’m sure you will achieve your goals.

1 Like

ive just completed 21days and i was loosing 2lbs a day consistently on average… Two points i didnt loose and gained due to lack of sleep or histamine release but a few days later the weight would catch up.
Ive fasted to 31 days before and i find the last week your weight doesnt move much for a few days then a drop in fat not always reflected in weightloss. A small amount of the week but half of the previous 3 weeks

1 Like