Stacias Journal

I completely get where you’re coming from. I’m very ‘all or nothing’ in my thought process too. Actually thats why decided on a 7 day fast because it’s a hard challenge for me but not the grandiose 21-40 day fast I normally want to try. I’ve started those 21 and 40 days fasts only to cave within 2 days… then I go off the rails because I “failed”… setting myself up for failure is an amazing strength I have! I haven’t decided what style of eating to do post fast… but I have been watching YouTube Fasters and dug into their individual videos and found MANY of them that did LONG fasts (like 30-40 days) gained ALL the weight back. I need to be very deliberate in whatever method of eating I choose or this will be for nothing. I’m thinking lower carb, high protein (not really keto) and maybe pick two days a week for a “treat”… like a dessert or a slice of pizza on those days. This is too much suffering for it to be not worth it! :slight_smile: I need this to stick. Like I mentioned in my previous message, I’ve lost a decade to being unhappy with myself. I have no intention of losing 2020-2030 like this. I’m so glad you have hung in there and go on to see Day 4 with me. Lets get to Day 5!!

1 Like

Thank you for the response Kyle !! Wouldn’t that be awful to go through the hell of all this fasting (especially the first 5 days) to go back to our old ways and gain back even more … ugh !! Been there so many times… I keep reading it’s not “choose the perfect diet”, it’s choose what we can and are willing to do … in a perfect world I’d eat a giant salad once a day for nutrients only but will I?!! Uhh probably no because I don’t want to. :slightly_smiling_face:… i know that an alcoholic can’t binge drink 2 x’s a month and think that’ll be it for the month. Is it realistic to think we can eat our addictive foods 2x’s a week or month? I don’t know :cry:. They say moderation or you’ll binge but then again to have to battle with saying no 28 days a month .(2 days eat crap) . how hard is that? Or is it easier to just rip off the band aid and never eat “certain foods” again ? We gotta get this right so we can live a healthy, free life right?! Sometimes I wish shopping or cigarettes or sex or something else was my addiction so it dosnt show everywhere I go ya know?! Grrr… happy we are day 4!! We can do this ! I do know fasting needs to be a part of my life whether OMAD or ?? Hugs !!

1 Like

Definitely a lot to think about and honesty with ourselves is so important. I did OMAD in 2017 and drop 25lbs in about three months. I maintained for about 6 months and then went back to my old habits… I know OMAD works and I also know it has to be strictly adhered to (forever) to maintain. Having done OMAD in the past, I think that’s the approach I will take. I really enjoyed it. There’s no going back to the bad habits if we want to succeed long term. It will take consistency. Unfortunately, I can’t 100% abstain from carbs/sweets because after a little while, I’ll go off the rails. I HAVE to achieve some kind of moderation. I’m hopeful I can learn to live in the gray areas and not be so black or white but a therapist may be needed to help me work through it. :slight_smile:

I have documented I believe in my journal the wicked battles I have won against the evil eat me food trolls. The fights are real🤣

And worst part I’m not even really hungry. My taste buds get lonely.

1 Like

:slightly_smiling_face:. Thank you for the responses! Keto has been the rage this past year or so (Paleo) before that and from so many utube videos it appears soooo many people have lost a lot of weight but most of them (about a year in) seem to lose it and start eating carbs again and the weight piles back on … I’m learning from these people and my own experience I think you are right Kyle, “the never again approach” seems to set people up… so coming up with a sustainable plan from the get go is sounding more realistic. I’m starting to think OMAD or every two days could be the win … I just want to learn not to eat a large pizza everyday during my 1 hour … lol. Thank you for letting me vent this all out, it’s helping to get others points of views !!! It’s so weird because I actually feel pretty good (no headache or acid reflux that I’ve felt in the past) it’s just that mental food thought that comes up literally every 10 min … grrrr ! Yaaa for day 4!!

3 Likes

I worked with Heroin addicts for quite a while and over my time the people that were most successful were the ones who understood changing addiction is a process, not a goal. We considered relapse inevitable but the people who were successful understood relapse wasn’t an excuse to stop trying to be sober and learned the lesson quickly and got back on the horse. I am not sure any one diet is the answer if it’s healthy it seems good enough. It is not to get caught up in the process of picking the perfect diet or the perfect plan and thinking it solves the problem. Instead it’s just dealing with the day you have in front of you . My today kind of sucked I was so hungry at dinner but this is the not perfect plan I chose so I will stick with it . It’s just a matter of getting back on the horse when you gain a pound or two Rather than allow yourself to get swallowed up . I don’t know if food addiction is the same as drug addiction I am not an expert … but this is how I am trying to think of it .

4 Likes

Thank you Amber ! I loved your post, that really makes me think. My black and white thinking is most likely most of my problem … I’m going to screen shot your words and reflect on them moving forward … you are so right, the perfect plan has yet to work out for me and then I throw my hands up … what if I just got back on the horse without beating myself up? Ive heard this over and over but something just clicked for me. I love this … hmmm … definitely a different (much better!!) mind set … thank you again !!

3 Likes

Getting towards the end of day 4 and feeling kinda queezy, spacey and weirdly my face feels like it’s been sunburned … it feels like it’s inflamed and sorta red … must be some kind of detox… I don’t have much energy, wish it was time for bed but I have a few more hours. I just turned off the tv because it seemed annoying to me right now … Food sounds good just to feel normal but I’m pushing through … thought I’d check in … wishing you all good luck tonight fellow fasters… :four_leaf_clover:

4 Likes

I have the same sunburned look and my face feels hot . I am enjoying your posts thanks

1 Like

Day 5! Feel pretty good this morning, better than last night … I still didn’t sleep well but not going to let that detour me. I’ve noticed I haven’t really thought about food so far today, boy is that nice !! I think I’m going to ride this fast out til I’m physically hungry again … that could be 40 days or more. I literally need to put my hand on my stomach to ask it if it’s truly hungry because I’m sooo disconnected from actual hunger … my brain thinks it’s hungry anytime/all day, everyday. The mental cravings have been brutal this past 4 days but weirdly it’s been soooo much easier physically, meaning no acid reflux, feeling like I’m going to puke… others have said every fast is different and I don’t want to start this over again, no way. Honestly in the best of all worlds I will do one long fast, knock off obesity and then do OMAD with a few shorter fasts to keep my body clean. I know water fasting is just a tool so the real challenge is learning to cope with life without using food as a crutch/pacifyer. I am enjoying reading everyone’s posts and so grateful Yasemen created this forum ! This fast has definitely been easier with all of you here !!

3 Likes

One of the other posters mentioned, when he feels hungry he asks himself, is he so hungry he would eat a turnip? And he doesn’t like turnips. I thought that could be a great tool. Think of something you would not normally eat and when you are “hungry” ask yourself if you are willing to break your fast eating that food. Especially when you have made it 5 days! So glad you have soldiered on for another day! You got this!

1 Like

I like that about the turnip ! Ha … yes, soldier on ! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Still managing my day 5… been super busy at work so havnt really thought about food much thankfully … hoping the evening goes well so I can say Day 6! :slightly_smiling_face:. Hope everyone’s day well …

2 Likes

Hi all, so happy to report I’m on day 6… I feel like I’m just sorta coasting along. I have zero hunger pangs and the food thoughts are down about 75%… the remaining 25% are mostly annoying but I don’t feel the super super white knuckling it “not to eat” like I did the first 4 days … getting easier. Didn’t sleep too well again … I’ve found midnight has been my sweet spot to fall asleep and my alarm goes off at 6 for work so I’ve been getting about 5 or 6 hours of sleep which I am normally a “need my 8 hours or I can hardly function” and after every binge I want a nap … it’s been sooo nice to not have that “I’m sooo sleepy feeling mid day”. I feel a little queezy a tad throughout the day (sorta empty/acidy feeling) but I drink some water and power through. My energy has been pretty good weirdly. I’ve not taken any supplements yet but may every few days depending how long I go … like I mentioned earlier I want to go until I feel that true hunger … not sure I know what the feels like since I ate so much mental hunger all these years … I feel like this will be a new feeling. I’m not weighing myself at all because in the past it just sets me up to get hung up on the numbers, get depressed, and eat over it. The past few days I keep thinking of health and that’s what my motivation has been (which equals weight loss obviously lol !). I realized I came here to lose weight but I think there may be soooo much more gained?? Health, learning to listen to my body, learning to manage my emotions… this is amazing. Feeling hopeful and inspired !! I started around 240 so damn I have so long to go but this is a journey and a process right?! :slightly_smiling_face:. This forum is really everything to me right now … it’s made such a difference to trying to go at it alone, thank you everyone for being here !!! Let’s keep going ! Hugs :hugs:

6 Likes

You still sticking to the 21 days? :heart:

I am definitely going for 21 plus :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Stacia! I’m your same height 5’2” I can relate to isolating & not wanting being seen. I’ve isolated myself since even before quarantine. We can do this & thank you for sharing your story. It helps to hear others go through this & I know we can go from being overwhelmed to overcoming

3 Likes

It’s been super awesome to read others stories too !! I don’t feel so alone in this … none of my close friends can relate … No way would I be on day 6 if it wasn’t for this forum … not a chance :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Excellent Job Stacia! I’m encouraged that the white knuckling has dissipated. That’s the worst part for me. You are doing this for the right reasons, I know you will learn so much about yourself and achieve your goals. Keep going!! :slight_smile: HUGS!

Thank you !! Everything is going well (not dizzy, not hungry) but the acidic low grade pain in my stomach (right where my ribs come together) is awful today … ugh … hanging in there !!

1 Like