S1E3 40-Day Water Fast & Post-Fast ReFeed Journal

Day 16 of 40-Day Water Fast.

Highlights:

1. Day 16 complete. 384 hours done. 24 days more to go!
  2. Weight loss: 0. Guess I’ve reached the point where it gets tougher now which is shrinking the belly fat. Haven’t been this light since my 30s. Speculating it could be the reason for the acid reflux I’m experiencing as I’m burning old belly fat.
  3. Blood sugar: 71
  4. Exercise: 1 mile

Notes:

1. Acid reflux symptoms ebbing. Hopefully gone by tomorrow.
  2. 1st 12 days of fast I was losing 2lbs per day. Last 4 days I’ve lost 3lbs. HOWEVER, belly is shrinking now and clothes are falling off so take solace in fact that its my body just readjusting things.
6 Likes

Oh, acid reflux sounds nasty :cry: I’ve been vaguely nauseous today but no reflux thankfully. Maybe we’re into a deep detox stage where all those stored baddies in our fat cells are getting released?

First time I’ve had this happen during a fast. Of course the longest I’ve completed is 7 days. Since I started my custom treatment protocol in August 9th, I’ve lost 62lbs. Now I’m finally down to burning off the belly fat which is just loaded with stored toxins which is my guess.

1 Like

Wow, 62lbs!! That’s so awesome :confetti_ball:

Thanks. Btw, just realized what the reason for the weight loss slowdown is. Just remembered a YouTube interview that pointed out belly fat has stored cortisol precursors. It’s the reason those with big guts get even fatter when they get stressed than those who don’t have beer guts. Maybe when the fat gets burned up it raises the cortisol levels? I’ll ask the Endocrinologist at USC who I consult with on a weekly basis and see what he thinks.

Wow really that is interesting!! I don’t really have belly fat but I think it’s different for girls, we more store on hips and thighs I think. I wonder if that’s where I store cortisol… Hmm. Will be interesting to see what your endo says. Anyway it could still be temporary and you might find you drop weight faster again and it all averages out.

1 Like

You are doing great…

1 Like

Day 17 of 40-Day Water Fast

1. Day 17 complete. 408 hour done. 23 more days to go!
  2. Weight loss: 0. First 2 day weight plateau. Not stressing about it because I was digging into some old clothes in storage. Pleasantly surprised I’m now fitting in clothes I last wore 20+ years ago.
  3. Blood sugar: 71
  4. Exercise: 1.2 miles

Notes:

1. This “Keto Breath” is really a pain in the ass. I work up wanting to puke it was so bad this morning. Immediately brushed my teeth to get rid of it. Daily routine in dealing with it. Morning brush, Listerine mouthwash gargle mid-afternoon and evening brush.
  2. At my Toastmasters meeting this morning I was talking to one of members who arrived early like I did. Surprisingly he shared that the other club members were concerned about my well-being for doing such a prolonged fast. It was surprising because I thought I’d allayed a lot of those fears in my previous talks. Tells me I need to devote some space in my upcoming book to this subject.
  3. Even though I haven’t lost any additional weight the last couple of days I’ve noticed a lot of the lose skin from the weight loss going away.
1 Like

In the 17 days fast, you have not lost weight?

I’ve lost 28lbs on this fast so far. Just the last 2 days I plateaued not losing any additional weight.

2 Likes

Wow, awesome!!!
Congrats!! :blush:

1 Like

My oral routine is as follows

Morning; Use a tongue scraper, brush and then end with Listerine

Afternoon (at work) - brush and then swish+gargle using a mixture of water and peppermint essential oil I made

Night- brush before bed.

It’s been helping

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate it.

I mix 1 teaspoon baking soda and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice in 8 ounces of cold water for any unbearable tummy issues. Works pretty quickly, really soothes acid reflux completely for me.

I haven’t fasted nearly as long so not sure what issues will arise, but I heard epsom salt baths help to detox. I also added essential oils like lemon and rosemary. I had my first one yesterday. I’m hoping taking these a couple a times a week will help with any flush of toxins trying to escape my body so I don’t feel too bad or achy.

Thanks for your detailed thread, it’s very encouraging :grin:

1 Like

Wow that is good. Im just not happy with my body. It looks square. Dont know if Ill be able to get a nice body…

Day 18 of 40-day Water Fast

Highlights:

1. Day 18 complete. 432 hours done. 22 more days to go!
  2. Weight loss: 0. 3rd consecutive day of being on the plateau. In the NOTES below I elaborate on what I did about it.
  3. Blood sugar: 77
  4. Exercise: 1 mile walk (More in NOTES)

Notes:

1. Being on the weight plateau for 3 days is a bit discouraging. Intellectually I know its just my body doing internal adjustments to losing a lot of weight in 3 months. Emotionally, well … So I did something about it. I walked to my local grocery store, picked up groceries for the family and lugged it back home in my backpack. So a half mile carrying a 22lb backpack. Yes, I weighed it when I got back home. LOL. Irrational response, but it made me feel better about myself.
  2. Acid reflux is just about gone. I did NOT take any remedies for it instead choosing to tough it out. Reason is I’m a Type 2 Diabetic, who also has Chronic Kidney Disease and Hypertension. My goal is to reverse ALL my conditions and drop ALL my medications. According to Dr. Valter Longo of the University of Southern California and considered one of the leading experts on Prolonged Fasting, he found that the major organs will shrink up to 30% as the body canabilizes dead cells for energy. During a Prolonged Fast, your body’s production of stem cells cranks up. The pay-off is in the ReFeed when ingested protein provides the building blocks for the stem cells to build new cells in those organs and throughout the body.
    With that in mind, I do not want anything that can be metabolized in the liver and processed in the major organs interrupting the canabilization process. That’s the reason I toughed it out.
  3. Taking a poll at my Toastmasters club and they want me to speak on the various fasting protocols as an alternative to the “Eat Less and Exercise More” model to weight loss. Realized I’m going to have to break it up into the following: 1. A talk on daily fasting: Circadian Rhythm aka !2:12, then 18:6 and 20:4 and finally OMAD. 2. Prolonged Fasting and Weekly protocols: 5:2, Alternative Fasting and Prolonged. 3. Dietary Restriction vs Caloric Restriction (from the work by Dr. Peter Attia).
3 Likes

The plateau must be so discouraging, but I bet you’ll have a whoosh effect soon! After all, there is nothing else for your body to run off apart from itself.

Your talks sound fascinating! Do you film them? I’d love to see them!

Not yet. These are first time giving them. So they are a work-in-progress. As soon as I reverse my conditions and get them certified and notarized I plan on giving seminars. My pastor wants me to present to my church.

Day 19 of 40-Day Water Fast.

Highlights:

1. Day 19 complete. 456 hours done. 21 days to go!
  2. Weight loss: 1lb. Total this fast: 29lbs (9lbs water weight - 20lbs fat)
  3. Blood sugar: 67
  4. Exercise: 1 mile walk

Notes:

1. Tough night last night. Hungriest I’ve ever felt. For those who live in Southern California you’ll deeply understand my dream. Dreamt of eating an In-N-Out Double-Double Cheese. From holding it in my hand, salivating in anticipation to devouring it one mouth-watering bite at a time. To finishing it and then waking it up. LOL
  2. Only reason I woke up is because Keto Breath was so bad I wanted to puke. Rushed to the bathroom to brush my teeth and only then was I able to go back to sleep.
  3. Morning walk was tough. Low energy. Had to take frequent breaks which hasn’t happened since I began my fast. Toughed it out by using my old Jedi Mind Trick of counting steps.
  4. Broke my weight plateau of 3 days. YAY! Let’s see if it continues.
1 Like

Found you!

Wow, good stuff! Just shy of half way. Fantastic.

You have probably seen this video, but on the off chance that you haven’t, check it out. Just sent it to my sister who freaked out when I told her I was doing a 14 day water fast! They talk in the video about T2D. It’s pretty impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b08X-GvRs

Keep up the good work. 40 days is nothing in a lifetime :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like