Phenomenous' 2021 Journal

Starting this now for use in 2021. This will hold all my updates as we start the year with huge momentum in the right direction.

1 Like

And it begins. Started my fast around 3am UK time after bringing in the new year. Kept it sensible so I wouldn’t be hungover today. Woke up and took my measurements, weighed myself and took pictures. I like to have multiple methods of progress tracking for when one stalls.

Not the numbers I’d have liked to have seen but I’m sure I won’t be alone in that. Here’s to making a great start to the year for all of us.

1 Like

41 hours in and today has been a struggle. Had a headache all day. I’ve taken electrolytes but I think it’s caffeine withdrawal. Just got to preservere. Day 3 to 5 are usually the worst for me so I’m expecting a tough few days but just gotta push through.

2 Likes

Day 3 update. Ended up awake all last night and decided to break the fast just after the 48 hour mark. A little disheartening especially since my mind is very much all or nothing but I’ve had some time to mull it over.

I ended up eating in the morning then eating again this evening. Also had some sweet treats and can already feel how much harder they are hitting after just that one fast. Not a great feeling and one I’d like to avoid.

I spent a lot of time thinking about my why earlier and realised I needed to focus on the how instead. You wouldn’t go back to the gym after an injury expecting to lift the same weight as before and the “fasting muscle” is no different. This week is now gonna be the easing back in week instead of full steam ahead. So what’s the new plan?

Eat nutritiously tomorrow. I need to transition back to lower carb without just going zero carb. I’m gonna IF from tonight until tomorrow. I’m going to make fajitas tomorrow. It’ll still be moderate carb but get away from sugar and towards something more nutrient dense. Then I’m gonna order some meat from the local butcher for either Tuesday or Wednesday. If I can two day it from tomorrow to Wednesday then amazing. If not it’s no big deal I’ll omad until I feel the 48’s becoming a bit more feasible.

An important lesson that I know it’s true but that I never pay attention to: progress doesn’t need to be perfect. Keep moving in the right direction rather than being all or nothing.

1 Like

So day 4 and 5 I stuck to the main meal plans. Also had some sweet snacks which wasn’t ideal but that’s them finished and no more will be coming into the house. The intention at the minute is now to eat omad with a focus on proteins and fats with veggies.

I’m intending on transitioning to keto or carnivore again but in the meantime I’m not gonna vilify carbs. If it gets me into the habit of eating home cooked, healthier meals then it’s all steps in the correct direction.

1 Like

Day 6 went well. Kept it to a 4 hour food window. Have eaten already today with the plan being to get a 24 hour fast in. Hoping to switch to rolling 48’s after tomorrow. This one may become a 48 if I’m feeling good tomorrow.

1 Like

So followed with the plan thus far. Omad yesterday. Ate a big meal today across two sittings. Now I’m planning to fast until Monday and then repeat the cycle of eating one day then fasting the following two for the rest of the month

2 Likes

Ninth day: fast went well. Relatively easy. Some currently just after midnight and I’m 32 hours into the fast. Mild hunger pangs and suddenly very awake which often happens when I fast. Hoping tomorrow will be as easy.

1 Like

So I last ate on Friday. I’ve successfully made it to Monday. I’ll likely break the fast in a few hours so it’ll be around the 65 - 67 hour mark then straight back into another fast.

Did a quick weigh in today just to see where we’re at. I only record results (weight, measurements, pictures) at the beginning of each month but it’s nice to see that what I’m doing has an affect. Unfortunately it’s had a slight negative in that it reminds me where I am compared to where I’ve been. Just got to keep pushing through as best I can though. The more I push the faster I get back to where I was.

1 Like

Yesterday was refeed day after the first 72 fast of the cycle. Back into it now. Already past the 24 hour mark and just gotta push through tomorrow. Enjoying the cycles and it definitely helps me become more mindful of food because I plan what I want for refeeds.

Made it through the second cycle of 72. Had a keto refeed planned but unfortunately the chicken went off. Ended up ordering takeout but I ate what I wanted from it over a two hour window and then threw the rest out and got back on the fasting. A waste of food and money but my mind hasn’t quite gotten used to ordering or making smaller portions yet. We’ll get there and a positive is that an unforeseen issue didn’t cause a significant binge or a disruption of the fasting cycle. Back fasting until Sunday now where I’ll have had another food delivery!

3 Likes

Halfway through the next fast already. The feelings of depression and generally worrying about life have spiked pretty hard for some reason. Often happens when I fast but usually just in longer fasts. Hoping I can channel that negative energy into a more neutral one.

1 Like

Completed the fast. Refed with an omad today and straight back into it. Next refeed will be on Wednesday. The depression wave has passed a little but hoping it stays away this fast. I’ll keep an eye on it. See if I can find any correlation in what I’m eating, drinking, length of fasts, etc

Another day down. Quite enjoying planning what I’m going to cook for refeeds. Looking up new recipes etc. Feeling much more positive today so hopefully it’ll last.

1 Like

Ended up breaking my fast just after 48 hours. Around a day earlier than planned. I’d had a doctor appointment and had gotten light headed and nearly fainted. Unlikely that it was the fast that caused it - I think my body associates the blood pressure machine with needles and I have a huge phobia of those. Anyway I ate last night and finished off the food early this morning. It’ll be a little longer of a fast this time but the intention is just to go back into the planned cycle which means next meal is on Saturday.

2 Likes

Currently about 53 hours into my fast. Just gotta get through today and tomorrow is another eating day and I’ll be back on target with the cycle. Hoping it’s an easy enough day

2 Likes

Wee update. I made it to the eating day but needed a break so ate consecutive days. Since then I’ve done a 48 and I’ll eat again today and then 72 until Friday to refeed and then fast and it’ll be February!

1 Like

So a wee update. I ended up getting gout in my foot so an unplanned few days of eating to help the meds do their thing. Feeling a bit better now and ready to hit February hard with fasting and low calorie refeeds every 72 hours. My mantra for the month is “it’s only 28 days and it could change your life”. Eyes on the prize

2 Likes

Didn’t end January with the progress I’d have liked but got to look forward now. February is a fresh start. Ate yesterday, fasted today, hopefully tomorrow is just as easy. Ate a little more than I planned yesterday so hopefully I find the next refeed a little easier.

Ate on the first as planned. Yesterday was meant to be a refeed day but I felt like continuing so still going. I’ll bank that refeed day just in case I need it later in the month. Next refeed day is meant to be Sunday. Unsure if I’ll continue this fast until then. We’ll see how I’m feeling.