My first fast!

Hello everybody!

I’m Bayle, new to the forum and wanted to try out water fasting as i’ve been having lots of stomach issues lately and after doing some research this seemed like something I should try to ‘restart’ my system.

If anyone has any tips please share them! Would love to get some insight on what to expect and what to do to stay motivated.

Also wondering if anyone drinks black coffee during fasting? Not sure how this could effect my fast but worried about not drinking coffee for a few days and how it might effect me.

5 Likes

Welcome! Drinking coffee during a fast is called “dirty” fasting. I think that is a rather loaded judgemental connotation but whatever. I drink coffee, tea, fizzy mineral waters etc. None of those things will break your fast but some believe it MAY inhibit autophagy. As far as I know, there are almost no large sample peer reviewed studies based on human trials to corroborate this. Fasting is a deeply personal endeavor. Listen to your body! Do is what sustainable for you and take everything (maybe literally depending on your electrolytes) with a grain of salt. Starting a fast and going cold turkey off of caffeine at the same time might make it an even more difficult transition. It’s up to you and your lifestyle

I highly recommend having electrolytes on hand to help prevent some keto symptoms like: light headness, dizziness, fatigue, dehydration and for some people triggers for other imbalances.

To stay motivated you have to look into your deepest self and know your “why”.

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Very helpful.

What do you keep on hand in terms of electrolytes to prevent keto systems?

1 Like

Potassium, uniodized salt, and magnesium. If I’m feeling REALLY bad I also take BHB exogenous ketone salts

1 Like

Forgot to mention:

Current weight 142.0 lb

Will weigh myself every morning to keep track!

1 Like

Good morning! Day 2 check in

Yesterday was a breeze — didn’t think about food much and didn’t have any moments I felt like giving in and eating so off to a good start!

Woke up this morning super tired, had to snooze my alarm :wink: but that’s okay.

Day 1: 142.0 lb
Day 2: 138.6 lb

Total loss: 3.4 lb

1 Like

Good morning!

Today is day 3 :partying_face: will be my last day, wanted to try a 3 day fast then next week move on to 5 or 7? Still deciding. Going to switch back to intermittent fasting tomorrow until Monday where I will start my longer fast!

Any recommendations on if I should do 5 or 7? Maybe wait it out see when I get to day 5 if I can push through 2 more days? Guess we’ll see.

Yesterday was alright, could definitely tell I was a lot more tired than usual! Went to bed early but my eyes felt so heavy while I was laying in bed watching tv. Mouth is always dry but I continued to drink water to help with that.

Happy I made it through my 3 day starting fast — glad I could prove to myself that I could do it if I wanted to :blush:

Day 1: 142.0 lb
Day 2: 138.6 lb
Day 3: 137.4 lb

Total loss: 4.6 lb

Happy with the ~5 lb I lost will maintain that weight over the weekend and weigh myself in the mornings per usual to keep track. Hoping when I start my next fast on Monday I start near 138 lb!

1 Like

Hi guys! I’m back — spent a weekend full of family and birthday parties and a wedding shower! Definitely ready to fast :blush:

Aiming for 5 days starting today — by Friday might extend it to 7 or 10 depending on how I feel!

Will update tomorrow on how today goes. Happy Monday everybody!

4 Likes

ended up starting today! Been good so far — stomach is hungry but mind is not :grin:

Day 1: 138.8 lb

3 Likes

Good morning! Woke up around 645 am and definitely had some dreams of eating :joy: was happy to wake up and see it was just a dream. Feel good today! Don’t feel bad tired, ready to get my day started. No problems here :slight_smile:

Day 2: 137.6 lb

1 Like

Decided to take progress pictures to look back at and see the difference from my first day to last day! Think taking daily pictures will help a lot with staying motivated — my body feels great. I’ve been dealing with digestive issues and I’ve noticed that’s all come to a stop since I started water fasting Monday night :grin:

1 Like

Woot woot day 3! Feeling so good just want to keep going — no thoughts of giving up or eating at all! :partying_face:

Little bit of a headache so any recommended remedies that are acceptable would be appreciated!

Weighed in this morning at 135.4 :grin:

Day 0: 140.4 lb (day before I started fasting)
Day 3: 135.4 lb

Total loss: 5 lb

Very happy with my results so far my body feels so good! Although, I broke my fifth metatarsal a year ago and went the self healing approach (boot and crutches) instead of surgery and weirdly enough this morning as I was walking into my kitchen I could feel pain where I broke it… wondering if that’s normal?

2 Likes

Did my ab workout the last 3 days and noticing a lot more definition that I haven’t seen in a long time! So happy — huge push and motivation to keep going.

Woke up a little fatigued but hopped in the shower and felt good! Day 4 begins :partying_face:

Weighed in today at… 133.2!!! So happy can’t wait to see under 130 lb.

Day 0: 140.4 lb
Day 4: 133.2 lb

Total loss: 7.2 lb

1 Like

Good morning! Had trouble sleeping last night — don’t think I truly fell asleep til about 5am :grimacing: but, did get to sleep in so that was a plus! Doesn’t help my cat likes to walk all over me at night for fun. Day 5! I’m so proud of myself for making it, and I honestly feel amazing.

Weighed in today at 131.2 lb! Weight loss is slowing down but that’s okay because I can tell a huge difference in my appearance and that’s made me very happy. Have gotten multiple compliments from friends and family about my body so it’s a great feeling to have others notice and not just yourself :hugs:

Day 0: 140.4 lb
Day 4: 133.2 lb
Day 5: 131.2 lb

Overall weight loss: 9.2 lb :tada:

2 Likes

I’ve found the same thing. No more evening digestive problems, I feel so much better :slightly_smiling_face:
You’re weight lose is awesome! Well done.
My 3 cats like to jump from the windowsil and land on my stomach during the night! I’d like it so much more if they were only walking on me :smiley:

1 Like

Day 6! MADE IT to the end of my 5 day fast and feel sooo amazing! Today I have felt happier, healthier, and overall more energized than I have in a while! Love this feeling :hugs:

Going to probably eat dinner tonight around 9:27 to say I completed 6 days instead of the 5 I was going for just to prove to myself it’s all mind over matter! My mindset pushed me through

Ending weight: 131.0!

Total weight loss: 11 lb :hugs:

2 Likes

Hahaha love that! Cats are my favorite :hugs:

1 Like

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing your 5 day fast!!! :smile:
Did you hold off 'till the end of 6 in the end?

1 Like

I did! I ate very clean and only had a meal per day to stick to intermittent fasting — today I’m starting another 3 or 5 days because I feel like it and know I can do it :blush:

At the gym now but will update on my experience and current weight when I get back!

1 Like

Day 1 of my second fast!

Did a 2 day (more like 36 hour) refeeding which consisted of veggies, protein (chicken) and rice.

Only ate when I was hungry which was 1 meal each night so really feel like my appetite has changed a lot, also did not eat any of the cravings I was having during the fast (main one: dark chocolate) so I’m very happy I didn’t feel any need to indulge during my refeeding!

Moment of truth… weigh in today was 133.6! So gained back around 2 lb which I’m totally fine with as I was expecting the water weight to bring me back up to around 135 at least after refeeding.

So here we are again, doing another because my first 5 day fast (turned into 6) from Tuesday - Sunday, went GREAT and I felt amazing.

Also have gotten a handful of compliments from friends and family telling me I look great so another boost of confidence in my health!

Not sure how long I’ll fast as I’m going out with some friends Saturday (my friend’s post breakup GNO). But let’s see how it goes this time!

Here we go

Day 1: 133.6 lb :muscle:t3:

1 Like