Michelle's daily journal

I’m a little over half way through day 2 of my second back-to-back 5 day fast.

I have put 4 lbs back on since yesterday’s weigh-in. I’m hoping this is water weight caused by the weekend catching up with me. And that it will come off again easily. I promise I ate sensibly at the weekend.

So I’m ploughing on anyway! Trying to be positive :+1:

On the plus side, I’m no where near as hungry as I was on day 2 last week :smiley:

1 Like

Unless you consumed 14,000 calories in addition to the 1800 cals/daily (or so) your body needs to function… which is VERY hard to do in a couple days, it’s water weight. Stay positive!! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Ah! Thank you @Kyle! I so needed to hear that. I feel a whole lot better now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Looks like we’re on the same track :hugs: go you! Excited to tag along to your second fast while I begin mine as well :muscle:t3:

1 Like

It’s day 3 of week 2. So I’m half way through my second back-to-back fast.

I feel good, my appetite is low, and my cravings (particularly choc) are also easier to manage than last week. So all good. I had thought that each Mon, Tues and Wed I would have to struggle through again every week. But it seems not :slight_smile:

I have now lost 2 of the 4 lbs in water weight that I put back on following my weekend off. Hopefully the other 2 lbs will have come off by tomorrow.

So now I have a question…does anyone know if I’m going to be using the first four days of every week’s fast having to lose water weight from the weekend please? And what can I do to prevent it if yes?

Thanks! :grin:

1 Like

I did 5 day fasts 4 weeks in a row.

I lost about 2.5 actual fat each week.

Scale fluctuated the same with water as what you’re seeing.

You can only expect half a lb of fat burning a day unless you are in the morbid obese range - then it goes much higher.

2 Likes

Oh wow, that makes me wonder if I need to re-evaluate my fasting strategy.

1 Like

Yeah, there’s some shuffling of numbers that if you eat clean and when you’re supposed to actually comes pretty darn close.

A pound is 3500 calories.

We typically burn 1600 to 1800 a day - just to maintain regular body functions. This is why some people can simply cut down to 1200 a day for weight loss.

But you have to factor in height, current weight, sex, and body type.

At my weight today I’m burning roughly 1732 doing nothing but watching TV :rofl:

So if I fast, I’m burning about half a pound a day.

Plunk your numbers in to the link above to get your current daily expenditure.

This number changes as your weight goes up or down.

Oh that’s interesting. Thanks @Miramar. I worked out that I’m burning 2065 doing nowt, and I need to take in 1065 to lose 2 lb per week. That should be easy if it’s done by fasting shouldn’t it?

Well, are you thinking of OMAD at 1065? You definitely sound like that would work.

1 Like

I did give OHMAD a try and also 18/6, but I felt like I was doing day one every day. I found that the longer fasts were more doable. I find it easier to ‘switch off’ from food rather than chopping and changing every day.

2 Likes

Day 4 of 5. Ticking along, not good not bad.

Ok that’s a lie. On the walk to pick up my son frim school yesterday I went into the local shop on the pretext of buying a treat for him. I also bought chocolate for me. And ate it. I gave myself an upset tummy for my sins. I couldn’t stop myself. This is the reason I don’t go into any shops when I’m fasting. These places are designed to make you want to buy things, and when I’m fasting I’m particularly vulnerable to that.

Ugh :frowning_face::

Ps at least the water weight is now off.

1 Like

Totally understandable! Day 4 is when we are really in the throws of difficulty with fasting. Most of us have been there. It’s all part of building the “fasting muscle”. :hugs:

1 Like

@Kyle thank you for understanding! I’m trying get back on track and stay there now. Now you mention it - it was day 4 last week that was the hardest too. “Fasting muscle”, I want some of that :grinning:

1 Like

I didn’t manage to get past day 4 last time, and all I’ve lost was the 4 lbs water weight I had put on over the previous weekend. So I was a bit demoralsed.

If the first 4 of 5 days in every fasting week is only going to lose water weight, then why am I doing this?

A re-think on my strategy is needed. I haven’t found the answer yet. Anyway we are moving house, relocatung to a different part of the country this coming week. So a combination of that and a small food budget means I’m simply eating what’s available at the moment (very high carb). However so far I have kept off the half a stone of fat that I lost in week 1 :slight_smile:

So with moving house, this isn’t a good time to be fasting, but I will do it again very soon. In the meantime I’ll be popping in to read your messages.

So stay on track … I’ll be checking how you’re doing :sunglasses:

Be well and stay safe.

2 Likes

Moving is always very stressful! Not only is all your cooking stuff packed up but you have so little time! Good luck!

1 Like

Thought I’d write this while I have my “mindful cup of tea” :grinning:

I’m attempting to get back on the fasting wagon! I’ve been eating really cheaply and therefore eating very high carbs.since my last five-day water fast. I have noticed that my appetite has increased, my rosacia is back, my weight has increased, my chronic pain has increased, and craving for carbs has increased :thinking:

Not good and I don’t like it. I don’t want to drop into a water fast straight from having so many carbs, so I’m doing 18\6 for a few days. See how I go, with a view to working up to 2, 3, or 5-day fast.

Day one today :heavy_heart_exclamation:

2 Likes

Hi I hope everyone is fighting fit :grinning:

It’s Mindful Cup Of Tea time again and to pause for a few minutes.

So I’ve been doing 18:6 for the last few days with varying degrees of success. No weight loss, but I can do my belt up a notch tighter, and my rosacia has improved a lot. So there are positives!

I want to express my frustration at the Big Food Manufacturers, governments, and the System generally. Because of our circumstances we find ourselves living hand-to-mouth at the moment. And as far as diet is concerned keto hasn’t been possible for me. Anyone who’s done a bit of research will know what I’m on about here. The simple truth is that - let’s say a lettuce - costs more than a bag of frozen chips that will feed all three of us for three days. Chips that are so processed that they can barely be described as a vegetable.

I recently did a 5 day waterfast and lost over half a stone and felt great afterwards. Now, I have regained all but three pounds of that.

I don’t feel sad or sorry for myself, I feel angry and frustrated that I want us to eat well but we are societally constructed to eat badly. The educated well-off get to choose.

That’s my rant done. I feel a bit better now I’ve got that off my chest to people who will understand. Thank you for reading my rant :heart: :pray:

5 Likes

This. Just so much this. I’ve met with leaders from the USDA, Cargil, the FDA and tons of other associations through my father. It’s absolutely heartbreaking. Especially since it affects the poor and minorities the most. The system is rigged. We do the best we can with what we’ve got. Know that you have a safe place to vent here.

3 Likes

@Kristy thank you so much for your support! Money brings power and choices. At the moment my family along with millions of others have neither. Tha feeling of having no control over our lives is so stressful. Thank you Kristy :slight_smile:

3 Likes