Matt's waterfast

Thanks ladies. I am still fasting but I am struggling to stand up/ walk at the moment. I have to wait until Friday for the MRI images / appointment and was hoping I’d feel better today so I have no choice but to get onto pain meds/ anti-inflammatory medication as I can barely get to the bathroom. I have been offered lyrica @Kristy which I was trying to avoid because of the side effects. Apparently it is given for severe sciatica. You may have had it? My fast will end this morning and then I will have another go when I can. I’m going to continue to try to lose weight because I think his will help and is part of the overall picture.

My wife will complete day 13 this evening which is brilliant.

2 Likes

I was on gabapentin (which is in the same class as lyrica) naproxen, muscle relaxer, diazapam, But mostly I was on really intense pain meds like vicodin or tramadol. Even though surgery was invasive it was better than needing narcotics. Plus I tried not to have surgery for 2 years so it was a last ditch option. The pain relief was immediate. I only needed 4 vicodin after surgery vs needing them everyday before

You’re right, losing weight will definitely help!

2 Likes

I’m hoping it doesn’t get to that point but the last couple of days have been horrendous. I have done very little so can’t understand why it is getting worse.

I’ve dropped roughly 10kg’s so far in less than two weeks which is a good start I think.

1 Like

@Kristy did you have any acupuncture?

That’s an awesome drop for 2 weeks!

Yes and saw a chiropractor. Neither worked for me but they are worth trying before surgery! Massage and PT helped TONS. Sometimes not moving makes it worse in the long run. Do you know any stretches for your Sciatica? I found sitting “pigeon pose” extremely helpful

1 Like

I have been trying to do piriformis stretches and nerve sheathing exercise.

1 Like

12.5 days technically!

1 Like

@Mattyboy How are you feeling? I hope you’re in less pain!

I had treatment this morning including needling of my hips / piriformis. I have been put onto a 6-8 week physiotherapy/ pilates regime plus prednisilone (I am not going near lyrica). Scans have revealed significant degeneration of my lower discs which is causing the issues. At this stage anti-inflam drugs and strengthening excercise with physiotherapy to try to fix it and we’ll see how we go. My fasting days are over for the time being as I need to eat when taking the drugs.

My wife made it to 14 days.

3 Likes

Pilates is all core strength so that will be great and probably give you a six pack. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

So yeah, Doing OMAD because all medication (prednisilone and meloxicam is to be taken at the same time and needs to be taken early in the day to avoid sleeplessness. I am eating lunch and that is it.

I have 5 days to see how it behaves ad then a CT scan guided nerve blocker will be done if not improved enough. I have a G1 anterolistheis, and sic bulge at T12/L1 & Lower lumbers which is resulting in nerve impingement.

I’m honestly a bit shitty because I initially injured this 18 months ago and the injury was diagnoses as piriformis syndrome and was treated accordingly. My back should have been scanned a lot earlier. My osteo told me that I could continue doing heavy deadlifts in the gym and I continued to lift heavy (getting up near 200 kgs). He actually said in January this year that even if I had a scan, the treatment would be the same so there would be no point! I figured that I could push through and did…

5 Likes

As someone who is insanely ill I have dealt with some of the best and worst doctors, You need a new one! You’ve had this for 18 months without a scan?!? They said you could do dead lifts!?! I’m cringing! Oh you must be in so much pain!

One thing that helps me a bit is my tens machine- you can get some really reasonably priced ones. I alternate between ice and heat. A nerve block doesn’t do anything but block the pain. It does not help heal your body in any way. But it sounds like you’ve got a well thought out plan to do PT and lose weight which can be a game changer!

OMAD is a great compromise! Prednisone is a notorious weight gainer but ever body is different. I truly hope you find relief soon!

1 Like

Hey legends. I’m back. 2 days into a fast…

Back is still pretty crook I am doing pilates/ physiotherapy and have to see a surgeon. I had an CT guided injection that worked for a week and has worn off. I have ditched the movic and norflex and am going to see if I can get some rip-roaring autophagy happening. I am hoping to avoid surgery. Still can’t walk much…

3 Likes

Ok, 3 days into the latest fast, I did 3 days last week and have done three this week.

Spoke to a surgeon today who has suggested a spinal fusion. I have Pars defect which is essentially a stress fracture which is part of a prolapsed disc issue. I have been told that I need to strip off weight to alleviate pain but also because the procedure needs to be done from the front. Unfortunately it does not look like surgery can be avoided.

I really have to do this like my life depends on it from here on in.

4 Likes

Oh Matt I’m so sorry! I know how hard you’ve been working to prevent surgery! Ugh a pars defect plus herniated disk! I empathize with how much pain you must in! When I had my back surgery I had to lose a lot of weight too. Losing the weight helped but what really saved me was learning to love exercise and getting new hobbies!

I’m not sure how the surgery will work going through the front?!? Sounds like you’ll need lots of PT after the procedure?

I hope you do not feel defeated by the need to have surgery.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I am back for another crack (no pun intended)…

48 hours in to a new water fast. Back is still a bit of an issue but I am pushing through. Keen for a reset and see if I can drive down inflammation. Hope everyone is doing well in these crazy times.

2 Likes

72 hours down. Feeling pretty good but I have run out of Goldhamer youtube videos.

1 Like

4 days down. Feeling good.

1 Like

Day 5. Still going.

1 Like