MaryAnn's First 21 Day Fast

SW 275 12/29/2019
CW 230.8 (my lowest was 226 after my last EF)
GW ?? 145 maybe (I think I was 12 the last time I weighed that so…)
I am 52, post menopausal, yo-yoed from obese to morbidly obese all of my adult life.

I read the Obesity Code and started IF and EF 4 and 1/2 months ago. I started from the get-go with a 10 day fast. I went from utter hopelessness and depression to feeling in control and optimistic.

I have had ups and downs. The last 4 weeks I have mostly done OMAD and have maintained my weight loss (woohoo!) I struggle with food addiction and my eating windows are a crap shoot. I always start well (avocado, egg, veggies) but end poorly. (fast food).

For some reason, 225 is a trigger for me mentally. This is where I stop and gradually go back to my heaviest weight and beyond. I had some major trauma in my life from 185 and 225 lb. It was a turning point in my 20’s.(yes, 30 years ago) I don’t know if this has anything to do with it. I want so much to defeat this addiction and protective coating. I want to be me. I don’t want to hide behind my weight any more.

Being stuck in my house for months has given me one gift—time to read the Bible and meditate on it. I have come to the conclusion that I can NOT do it on my own. There is a spiritual component. I have done everything I can on my own strength. Even writing those words of surrender bring fear. Fear of failure. Fear of judgement. Fear of bringing ridicule to my faith. But there you have it. In the words of Keala Settle in the Greatest Showman, “This is ME!!”

This is why I am going on a 21 day fast. It is a spiritual journey as much as a health journey.

Attached photo December/April

6 Likes

Welcome to our fasting community!

Technical note: to keep future entries on this single thread, click on reply in the lower right hand corner.

1 Like

Hi:)

Lockdown has been hard. I though it would be a perfect opportunity to fast, but I’ve disappointed myself these past couple of weeks being at home. I’ve also tried to do an extended fast on my own for too long and have realized that we can’t do everyting by ourselves. We need the support that God provides through groups like these. Besides the physical and mental journey that fasting is, I too need to grow spiritually through this process. We are capable of all things through Him who strengthens us.

I believe that we wouldn’t be at this point in our lives where we want to make great changes if God did’t place us here. However, it’s up to us to actually make the change and that is very scary. I’ve always been comfortable in how things are, even if I’m not happy with it.

I’ll also love to do a 21 Day fast, go big or go home right🙈. But I’ve only done a few 1 day fasts. Is this the first time you will be fasting for so long?

P.S. I always want to cry when I hear that song.

4 Likes

Since you’ve only done a few 1-day fasts, I recommend you build up your fasting muscle.

Personally, I did 11 days of Intermittent Fasting (16:8, 18:6, 20:4 and OMAD) before tackling prolonged fasting. I then did a 4, 5 & 7-day before tackling and completing a 40-day.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Hi Diandra,

I do agree with Compdude (I’ve researched him. He is a very good at this.) maybe a 3 day would be a good goal and go from there. I have done a few 7 day/3 day/and a 10 day. Maybe the Fasting Stickies would help. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAJ-Trnssys) I am going to try that. The smaller goals are 3/5/7/14/21 days.

Here is my scripture reading plan for the next few days.
1 Kings 19:1-9; Judges 20:26; Ezra 10:6-17; Esther 4:15-17; Daniel 10:2-3; Matthew 4:1-2; Matthew 6:16-18; Luke 2:36-38; Luke 5:33-35, Luke 18:9-14; and Acts 13:1-3.

These are just Biblical examples of fasting. Also ordering “The Life You’ve Always Wanted: Spiritual Disciplines for Ordinary People.” by John Ortberg

If you have never read The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Get it now. I cried when I realized I had been given so much misinformation. It helped me forgive myself and understand the things I was doing to trigger my Insulin and thus erasing any good work I had put in.

1 Like

Day 2 Hour 35
CW 227.8 (-3)
Minor Headache-resolved with water and coffee

Woke up with a minor headache, but I expected this because my last meal was junk. I usually try to fat load (eating avocado, eggs, bacon, cheese, olives, salmon) before I start an EF.

I haven’t told anyone that I am thinking of a 21 day. I am suppose to film a Children’s Ministry video on the 25th which I intentionally made fall on my 6th day because that is usually when my mind becomes clear and my energy is at its peak. Now there are talks about postponing. This could throw a wrench in my plans as day 8 usually is hard.

I am very happy to make it to the 35 hour mark as I was stuck in a “I’ll start tomorrow” cycle.

1 Like

Day 3 Hour 63
CW 225.2 (-5)
A little sleeplessness but got 5 hours (normal for me on a fast)

I am feeling good this morning even though I only slept 5 hours. I might try a nap in the afternoon if I feel tired. When I was lying in bed I thought of all these things I wanted to say here, but now they are gone. Had to be on a meeting this morning and now my head if full of work. Will make it a priority to write early.

Supplements- I have never used any supplements but I am thinking of adding magnesium and potassium (already have Himalayan pink salt). I’m worried that it will upset my stomach. I did an epsom salt bath once and I felt so lightheaded afterward. I think it might have been the hot water more than the salt.

I did start my Bible reading. 1 Kings 19:1-9. Fascinating story of Elijah on the Run. Let me know if you want my notes.

1 Like

Yes to the magnesium and potassium. You’re running off your body’s reserves right now. Those will run out. You need them to maintain your electrolytes level.

Do you have a supplement brand preference?

No. I just Google who the Best brands are and see if they’re available at either Costco or Amazon. Just don’t get the cheap brands as they have crap not listed on the label. Learned that from a Consumer Report article

2 Likes

Hour 68

Went for a 4 or 5 mile bike ride. I felt good, but I tried to pedal up a big hill (no-speed beach cruiser) and it was a bit much for me. I did feel tired and thirsty, but good.

I prepared meals for my family today without much trouble. My past fasts have definitely made it easier and easier to get through the first 3 days. These used to be my hardest days. I have had trouble at day 8, so I’m interested to see how that goes.

2 Likes

A couple of months back or more I had to break my fast at 8 days 11hrs, I was not pleased. I am hoping that I can go longer, I am definitely determined, I hope my health doesn’t fail me. Stay strong! You can do this.

1 Like

Day 4 Hour 90!!
CW 224.4 (-6)
Tired and some cravings

Today was so interesting. Because churches are closed, we have to go to our families. We went and did Kids’ Church in 4 parks. It is high energy and a whole lot of sunshine. I was going to tell my team I needed a break, but decided I would save this for when I really need it down the road.

I made it!! It was a blast!! My energy was good, I think because I work with college kids, it energizes me. They wanted to go for pizza after, and I sat with them and enjoyed a tea and their company. No pizza!

Now that I am back home, I may lay down for a bit. Even when I am eating, I need a nap after curbside church.

I am not concerned with weight loss tapering off. I really trust the process. This is more about health.

2 Likes

Day 5 Hour 107
CW 223.0 (7.8)
Rough evening, headache, exhaustion, craving

Last night I was a struggle. I just felt really off. Dull headache and general malaise. Because I had been around people all day, I started getting paranoid about Covid-19 :laughing:. (I take many precautions as I am more concerned about giving than receiving)

Surprised by a sudden craving, but it left as quickly as it came. This is the difference between fasting and low-calorie. I would have had a “harmless” nibble and then would find myself cramming down everything in sight. I credit Dr. Fung’s teaching about insulin to help me through.

I tried a magnesium supplement in hot water last night and conked out for 8 hours. Could have been the exhaustion or the supplement.

Today is my day off so I am going to take it easy and be kind to myself.

2 Likes

Hour 120

Went for a walk (only a mile or so) and a 3 mile bike ride. Still feeling tired. No headache(so that is good). I have an upset stomach. I don’t remember having that before but because I haven’t journaled before, I’m not sure. Feel crampy and full. Hoping tomorrow is better, but I don’t have a lot to do, so I can chill.

On a whole different note, I’m sitting on my balcony and I hear a lot of socializing going on. I like it! Am praying every one stays healthy so that we can be free again. I appreciate all I have learned in lock down, but would love some normal.

I forgot to thank you for your encouragement. How is it going?

1 Like

No problem, you are welcome. It’s not easy but taking it day by day. We both do this. Take care and take it easy.

Day 6 Hour 131
CW 221.2 (-9.6)
Restless night, no headache, feel good, stomach full

I have some new goals for this fast: BMI of 34.9 or less. This would make me a class 1 obese-low risk (according to the chart I am using). Currently BMI 35.7, so totally doable.

This morning is one of the days I feel I never want to eat again. I feel in control. Side effects are manageable. I bought myself a pair of Vans yesterday now that my foot pain is gone and shoes fit. It made me happy.

1 Like

Day 7 Hour 154
CW 219.4 (-11.4)
Slept ok, no side effects

219! I have no idea when the last time was! I think this was my low when I went on this thing called Nutrie 7 years ago. I’m not sure. I tried meal replacement shakes several times and had quick success, but didn’t last (only to months to pack it back on with extra). Isagenix 10ish years ago worked but I think it was the 2 day fast every week, rather than the shake.

I am in familiar territory today- very happy, feeling good. Day 7 is my sweet spot. I am so curious about the next 7 days. Because 8, and 9 are my struggle, I am really excited about pushing through that. I have a lot of work the next few days, but mainly sedentary. Day 11 will be my busy day.

Hangry- I have days when I am hangry (or so my family says), but yesterday was NOT one of them. It started with the refrigerator breaking. I had to cook everything in the freezer. (If this had happened earlier in the fast, I’m not sure I would have continued.) Then we had to go shopping for one. Turns out all the ones we like will not be in stock for months because of the virus. We were forced to buy a brand made in America (not a bad thing). But I find wearing a face mask for a prolonged period (more than 10 min) makes me feel ill, so it was a long shopping excursion. Then we decided to do someone a favor and drive deliver their car an hour away in the desert. As soon as we got there, the fluid in our car just ran our like someone opened a faucet. My son had to come rescue us, but we met this amazing person who gave us a tour of his vintage planes and motorcycles. Finally made it home last night. BUT MY POINT IS I was so calm, took things in stride and actually found joy.

Supplement note-I didn’t take magnesium last night. I needed salt in the evening and when I finished that, I didn’t feel like anything else.

2 Likes

Congrats on finishing a week! :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes