Ketone and glucose levels

I’ve been water fasting for a bit. I’m on day 13 now. For the past few days my ketone meter just says high (only goes up to 8) and my glucose has been in the 90’s for over a week.
Is this normal?
I am NOT diabetic. I feel ok other than a bit of hypotension. That’s only a problem if I stand/move to fast.
I’ve looked online and only see stuff on DKA, but I’m not diabetic and don’t feel bad.

1 Like

@annjunie Congratulations on 13 days! I recommend getting your electrolytes in every day to help with the weakness, dizziness, whatever. You can buy supplements (no sugar though) or you can make your own “Snake Juice” (recipe is online). If that doesn’t help, you may want to end your fast.

Ketones mean you are burning those instead of glucose. You are in ketosis. Your blood sugar may be up a bit due to the liver creating glycogen. It can also be affected by cortisol which is likely elevated on your extended fast. (Look up “dawn phenomenon” for morning rises.)

At any rate, as long as you feel fine, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Hope that helps.

3 Likes

Thank you very much and congratulations on Day 13. Yes, (no sugar base) electrolytes is an excellent choice. I too have done lots of fasting and normally have hypoglycemic issues around fasting day 4 or 5. Starting, again today, water fasting day 1 and will incorporate salts (snake juice) into my regimen. Much appreciation!

2 Likes

@Melissabreathes @donna Thank you both :star_struck:. I’ll look into snake juice for my next extended fast.

1 Like

@donna @annjunie

Thanks and further on this most important topic, been listening to via YouTube:
Dr Jason Fung [BENEFITS OF LONGER FASTS]

1 Like

Wow. 13 days! I’m 24hrs into my 1st 3 day fast. Would be interesting to know what your weight was starting and what it is now? I’ve determined that I have insulin resistance and have probably had it for years. Some docs call pre-diabetics just diabetes light.