Keto rash!

I think I have a keto rash. I noticed it yesterday when I woke up which was day two of my fast. Has anyone experienced this ? Do you know of any remedies? It is itchy :frowning_face:

1 Like

@anna @Yasemin I think this one’s for you ladies. I never experienced this in any of my fasts.

1 Like

My experience with Keto rash wasn’t until after about 9 days into the water fast for one of the fasts I did, for the 30 day fast I don’t remember what day it occurred on but it was pretty late into the fast as well! Mine went away after a couple of days!

It didn’t look similar to your picture for me, it was more like small red spots that wasn’t itching. I do believe it could be a Keto rash you’re experiencing though, just that it manifests differently than mine!

It’s an inflammatory condition in the skin which shows in red, itchy rashes around the neck, armpits and chest usually!
If you’re otherwise healthy, there’s a correlation between the rash and going into Ketosis, since when you’re in ketosis, sweat (even in small amounts) can contain the ketone body acetone and can be irritating at high concentrations if your skin is sensitive!

3 Likes

That would make sense since I was sweating yesterday! Hopefully it clears up thank you for your perspective :revolving_hearts:

2 Likes

How are you feeling now? Did it heal? :sparkling_heart: I’ve had a very very very very mild one (don’t think it was even keto rash) so I’m not too sure but was just a bit on my neck for less than 24 hours on day 2 :sparkling_heart: any updates?

Hi Yasemin! Yes I do think it was the result of the diet. It was kind of like itchy hives and got progressively worse. I’ve upped my carb intake and it has subsided. Kind of a bummer!! I’m not really sure how to proceed. I think I will progress with omad but not keto.

1 Like

Yeah, sounds like keto rash for sure. Some people had it at the beginning and it went away.

As an alternative to keto try this:

• OMAD
  • Low-carb ish with good carbs if you have carbs
  • No sugar

That should work like a charm too!
Are you feeling a bit better? :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

My definition of low-carb is avoid all reprocessed carbohydrates with fat and sugar.

Tell us how it goes.

Good to see you back!

1 Like

I get a keto rash every time I fast. It usually shows up on my back on about day 5. It is very itchy (and is in the middle of my back where I cant itch!) and bumpy and doesn’t go away until I break my fast (I go off fasts slowly but I dont do a keto diet after fasts). I’d love to know how to not have these rashes cause its a major deterrent to keeping a keto diet.

2 Likes

According to @Anna

“It’s an inflammatory condition in the skin which shows in red, itchy rashes around the neck, armpits and chest usually! If you’re otherwise healthy, there’s a correlation between the rash and going into Ketosis, since when you’re in ketosis, sweat (even in small amounts) can contain the ketone body acetone and can be irritating at high concentrations if your skin is sensitive!”

2 Likes

Unfortunately I haven’t come across many solutions for it! I was lucky that mine went away even while I was still fasting!
I believe that the Keto rash, like a majority of skin rashes may get worse when exercising a lot or expose the skin to friction och moisture!

If you’re able to deal with it for a couple of days, (maybe weeks?) you might see how it evolves over time, and (hopefully :pray::pray:) it might fade after a little while being in Ketosis, since the body adjusts to being in Ketosis after a period of time! I’d suggest making sure you’re not sweating excessively and maybe shower more often than you’re normally used to when not being in Ketosis, so the acetone amounts that are released through the skin doesn’t irritate your skin more!

I’ve heard that the rash can get triggered by micronutrient deficiencies as well (if you’re experiencing this while eating a Keto diet too). I don’t exclude carbohydrates from my diet myself so I don’t have any experience in that part though!

Hope you’ll find a solution for it! Best of luck! :sparkles:

1 Like

I’ve done several fasts before but this is the first time I got a rash. It’s exactly as you described. This is day 12 for me.

Thanks for sharing because I was trying to figure out what the hell was going on