Finishing 5 day Water Fast - A lot of BLOOD in Urine

Hello,
Today is my day to break my fast. All days were great. I drank a comfortable amount of alkaline water through my 5 day water fast. My urine was clear most times.
However, last night, right before bed, I had a small tint of brown in my urine.
When I woke up today, ready to break my fast, I went to the bathroom. To my shock my urine was dark red!
I’m wondering if anyone has any experience with this. And what they did going forward.
I broke my wast with watermelon water after I urinated the blood.

Welcome to our fasting community!

Technical note: to keep future entries on this single thread, click on reply in the lower right hand corner.

I’ll send this out to a friend of mine on the forum. She has the most medical experience of the active members here. It may take a couple of days as she’s a graduate student and doesn’t participate daily and Yas. @Anna @Yasemin.

1 Like

Thank you! I very much appreciate that!

1 Like

I can’t really speak about your specific experience, but dark yellow urine is usually a sign of dehydration or a high level of ketones in the urine. If it’s very dark or has more of a brown shade it might be a sign of kidney damage.

If you’re sure that the red colour is from blood, it’s also very important that you contact a doctor since it can indicate various medical conditions, such as issues linked to bladder,- kidney,- urinary tract, or the prostate etc.

Certain foods can also change the colour of the urine but since you experienced that while still fasting it’s not very likely.
Regardless, it’s best to consult your doctor to make sure you’re healthy!

Hope it helped, and take care!

3 Likes

@tchapa Tim please definitely contact a doctor ! :pray: None of us on the forum will have any advice the way that your medically trained doctor will have. Please make the appointment ASAP and let us know once you have consulted your doctor!

*If you ate beets, maybe can contribute, but still best to always always check with doctor.

Please keep us posted :pray:

Thank you for your advice. Before reading your responses I went into the ER because of sever pain on my right side near my kidney and vomiting. I was certain it was a kidney stone, but to my surprise and the doctors, there was no stone on 2 CT scans. After some morphine (the pain was unbearable), fluids, and an overnight stay, I began to feel better. I stopped pain meds last night at 945pm. Another procedure was done today to scope my bladder. Still, nothing could be found.
The doctors said they couldn’t see why it could have been caused by the fast. And couldn’t give me a definite answer as to why I was experiencing such things. I was well hydrated all during my fast.
I will say this, there is no way I could have made it through without the morphine and hospital care. And I believe that the water fast perhaps flushed some toxins and they were caught in my kidneys.
I also know that ketosis can release uric acid and that can lead to kidney stones. But then again, after 2 CT scans there was no stone. And they said I hadn’t passed it yet ( even if there was one) because I was still in a lot of pain without the morphine.
Back home right now. Feeling a lot better. Thank you for your concern!

3 Likes

Interesting :thinking:. Thanks for reporting in.

During detox episodes during my 40-day I suffered kidney pain that manifested as small back pain. Had 3 episodes that became decreasingly less painful :confounded:. First episode all I could do was curl in a fetal ball all day. Btw, at the time I was suffering Stage 3a CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease).

At end of my last two 21-day fasts started experiencing arthritic stiffness in hands and feet. During ReFeed after 2nd 31-day it blew up into a full blown gout attack. Upon investigation I came up with this hypothesis: Did not have the same symptoms appear during 40-day and subsequent ReFeed and Workout phase because I hadn’t dropped enough weight to start burning off decades-old visceral fat. My blood :drop_of_blood: panel showed a uric acid level of normal.

Succeeding 21-day fasts started using visceral fat as I dropped to a weight range I was last at when attending university. Found an NIH study revealing this visceral fat contains 50% higher preinflammatory cytokines that raise uric acid. Hence the joint stiffness at the end of the fasts. When I ate foods rich in purines during ReFeed it was like lighting a match in a gas station :fuelpump:.

Since then I’ve established a treatment protocol based on a YouTube series from John Hopkins Medical Rheumatology Division and input from an endocrinologist at USC Medical School I consult with. I’ll run your case by him in my weekly status report I submit on Mondays.

3 Likes

Uh I’m so sorry to hear that :frowning: I hope they get to the bottom of it soon! Glad to hear it’s not from fasting, and at the same time glad that you went to the doctor so they can do a check-up and see what’s going on.

Any scheduled follow-up appointment anytime soon? Are you waiting for test results now?

Thank you for sharing, hope you are feeling better :frowning::pray:

1 Like

My endocrinologist agrees with the diagnosis. He’s just as perplexed as everyone else that the CTs didn’t reveal a kidney stone. He agrees that all anyone can do is take a “see and wait” attitude.

Sorry I can’t help anymore than this.

1 Like

Thank you!!

Scheduled follow up in 1 week. Hope to have some answers. In the refeeding stage right now. A little discomfort and my digestive system seems to be VERY slow.

1 Like

I appreciate you checking in with him and letting me know. I hope the follow up with the surgeon goes well in a week. Currently starting to introduce foods again but my digestive systems seems very slow and I feel bloated after eating small meals such as a cup of broth or soup, and fruit and steamed veggies.

3 Likes

Have you been to the follow up yet? :blush:

Hi😊
Hope you are having a good day. I have just came off one of yasmine’s 7 day challenges and have completed my first 7 day fast. However, I’m now experiencing hip pain and I was wondering If you have any advise on what could be the issue and what I could do to make it better.
I’ve been eating broth, Brocolli, cauliflower, Avo, yoghurt and berries in my refeed.

How is the hip pain now? :frowning: