Fasting twice or once a month?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding prolonged water fasting. First let me say I’m total newbie when it comes to fasting and explain my situation. I want to try water fasting in order to decrease my chronic neurologic inflammatory condition, caused by my malfunctioning overresponsive immune system, not to lose weight.

I’d like to establish permanent healthy eating monthly schedule that is doable for life. I’ve gotten used to daily ‘18:6 intermittent fasting’ eating pattern ( with 1pm-7pm eating window) and now I’d like to upgrade it with prolonged fasting on regular basis, because from what I’ve gathered from dr. Jason Fung, state of autophagy can only be achieved after 2-3 days of prolonged fasting so intermittent fasting is not enough.

My questing is would it be better to fast twice a month (I was thinking on doing 3-4 day water fast around new moon and full moon) or only once a month for a longer period (thinking of going around 5-7 days without food)? What are your thoughts and experiences? Does this water fasting plan make any sense at all (again I’m a newbie, any advise would be most welcome)?

Thank you for your opinions in advance.

3 Likes

I don’t really have an answer but good for you for taking gradual steps! Also I hope you can figure out works for you. Start small then extend? Experiment! You do you! And keep us posted! Great job!

1 Like

Personally I would say twice a month (though I’m not really basing that on anything) and it’ll give you more benefit too.

I can tell you though that the arthrirus in my leg and foot joints is less painful and I don’t “walk like a robot” - as my son describes it - when I’m doing 3-days + water fasts, and this continues for a few days/weeks after too. I can highly recommend prolongued water fasting. I hope that helps :smiley:

2 Likes

Thank you very much. I’m glad to hear fasting is helping you. I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Luckily I haven’t experienced much debilitating effects yet with exception of chronic neuropathic foot pain and problems with left eye. I have to try doing everything possible to stop my immune system from attacking my body while I still can and from what I’ve gathered from mice studies (there are no human studies on how extended fasting affects MS unfortunately), +72h fast is the only way to suppress overreacting immune system and possibly achieve some remyelination (regenerative process by which myelin sheaths are restored to demyelinated axons in central nervous system). That would also explain why you experience less pain while/after fasting.

I’m a bit worried about caloric deficit though given the fact that I’d have to practice such fasts permanently in order to achieve desired neuro regenerative effects. Would you consider fasting twice a month for 3-4 days safe?

1 Like

Regarding fasts.
I would fast 21 days every three months and 3 days per week…
I fasted 21 days last year and it allowed me to get rid of long covid symptoms, get off antidepressants, stop thyroid medication and most importantly- stop insulin. I am type one diabetic and looking for the same - minimize immune response while letting organs to recover.
I have Autoimmune atrophic gastritis which is untreatable. Immune system kills stomach lining until its gone and you no longer can digest food. No treatment plan had been offered to me. Just yearly endoscopy to see how far it progressed and if I have cancer or now yet.
So, really, fasting for huge amounts of time wasn’t a choice for me. It needed to be done if I want to raise my daughter.
Right now I am on the middle of 40 days fast

1 Like