50 Day - Then 80 Day Water Fast

Day 3 - Hi all - My name is Justin and I am very glad to have found this site. So many inspiring stories… so I’ll start this by giving a little background. I have water fasted many times… usually for 3 to 5 days. I lost roughly 80 lbs about 7 years ago… and have been very successful at slowly gaining it all back. :confused:! The good news, I feel pretty comfortable taking on this big and then bigger water fast through my prior experiences as well as reading every Pubmed article and personal story (like all of yours!) that I can get my hands on.

I am no spring chicken…60 years old. I have a new much younger girlfriend (she’s 26) for added incentive to get in shape and more importantly, to get healthy. On top of embarking on this journey, I also quit an increasingly troublesome everyday alcohol addiction just two weeks ago. So apparently 2021 is the year of major accomplishments for me! I am breaking up the fast into two parts as I have a family gathering and a long weekend planned in late July. My goal is to lose 100lbs and finally get to my “normal” weight of 180lbs.

Here is my protocol: Water and black coffee and green tea only. I will be drinking lots of water supplemented with Sea Salt and Potassium, about a gallon per day. I will be taking a couple of other supplements as well (no calorie) and will reevaluate occasionally to determine if they are helping, hurting or even necessary.

So I am in Day 3. My last meal was Friday May 21st at 8:30PM. Like I said - this part is old-hat for me… not feeling that hungry… but I am weirdly very bloated. Plus I’ve only lost 1lb since beginning the fast. Maybe too much salt in my water. I suspect that I will get a weight-loss/water “woosh” one of these days soon. I have an infrared sauna and will still be enjoying 60 minute sessions 4 or 5 days a week. I also lift weights and will continue to do so. I am also applying red light therapy, dry brushing and collagen cream protocols to try and combat any potential “loose skin” along the way.

My starting weight was 280… it is now 279. See you tomorrow!

7 Likes

You got this!!!

2 Likes

Thank you Cianni!

1 Like

You’re welcome!

Day 4 Feeling a little tired…mainly because my sleep was abysmal last night. A very low 43 score on my Auto Sleep app. Could be all the water and trips to the bathroom (I said I was 60, right?) or the fact that I am still detoxing from quitting alcohol. Anyway, besides that… feeling good enough. Some light weight lifting this morning. I am a “Data Guy”… so I track…just about everything. I’ll share some data soon. I have read that strength training is important when fasting. Your body will catabolize mostly fat… but to ensure that the catabolism machine doesn’t take your muscle do some strength training.

Peter Attia agrees:

So does this study:

I also study DNA impact to all things weight and body transformation related. More on that in future posts.

Day 4 - Finally down a little 4lbs from the start… now at 276. See you tomorrow!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, @Justin, and good luck! I’m inspired to get to witness your transformation in this process.

Good on you for making these major changes-- a 50 day water fast requires dedication, everyday. Same thing with quitting alcohol. These are significant investments in your health and well-being and I admire you for taking these important steps.

We’re with you in the process!

1 Like

Thanks Jewell! I am super excited. I was struggling somewhat after quitting drinking (basically I was at a bottle of wine a night, everyday for ten years). Never drunk, per se… but definitely had a problem. I noticed though, as soon as I started this fast, that I stopped “jonesing” about having a drink… and focused on not eating. Anyway, so far so good!

2 Likes

Hi Justin; same booze boat over here! It’s funny how fasting diminishes the “need” for a drink. If anything, the only thing I jones for is FOOD, ALL THE FOOD THINGS. I’m the type to binge-watch Food Network after the worst hunger pangs have stopped.

I also lost a good chunk of weight years ago (50 in 90 days), and slowly regained much of it. Disheartening as hell, but the wonderful thing about fasting is that it’s always there! We’re on the train with you, go get it!

1 Like

Thanks Erin! I appreciate the support. It’s amazing how quickly things can go south… 4 years, a pandemic… and all the sudden I’ve gone from that husky man that loves his red wine… to that fat guy at the end of the bar at Buffalo Wild Wings racking up points like nobody’s business. I won’t lie… I regret not being able to have 3 or 4 Pinot Noir’s and a 20 piece traditional with blue cheese on the side whenever I get the urge. Which was often. More then regret… I kind of resent the fact that I can’t do those things. But… its my mess and I own it. So… there’s more to life than booze and food. At least that’s what I’m going with right now…

2 Likes

We are literally rewiring our brains!

A great analogy I heard was that addictions (booze, butts, Buffalo Wild Wings :rofl:) create a Grand Canyon in our minds over time. The challenge is redirecting the flow of water down another canal. At first it takes all your effort, but with time new trenches/neural pathways are formed, and the going gets easier… not to say the Grand Canyon won’t always be there, taunting you with an “easier” way, but we develop new norms as an alternative.

I quit booze for 4 years, and reintegrated it into my life about 2.5 years back or so. Every once in awhile (aHEM global pandemic cough), I notice the insidious cravings increase in frequency and intensity. Every time this happens, I go back to fasting and try to reroute my waters again. It really does work, every time. 7 years ago I couldn’t even imagine not drinking every day. Now it’s whatever, a new normal. All this shite is just practice, practice, practice, I think.

I’m still struggling with the Mom Bod though. Tired of losing negotiations with myself. I am serious (Serious!) about committing this time to my fast plan. I think we have to be pissed enough at ourselves to start The Thing, then committed enough to the version of ourselves that created the sane and rational plan over the long term to keep choosing it.

Eighty nine times a day my brain’s like, “…Hey. What if we just altered the plan a little so that…” and I smack that turd right back into his cage.

3 Likes

So true. I had my drink epiphany after reading Alcohol Explained 1 and 2 and my fat body moment recently when I surprised (disgusted) myself in my bathroom mirror at 2:00AM - the fast began at that moment (er, well the night before… I wanted credit for the previous 6 hours). And I am soooo convincing and crafty when I talk to myself…a Svengali of rationalization… that I refuse to have any internal conversations for awhile…at least for 46 more days. But who’s counting?

1 Like

Enjoy your posts … laughed at the guy at the end of the bar with the chicken wings … I can relate :slight_smile: Hang in there and keep going !! You got this !

1 Like

Thanks for the support Stacia!

Day 5 I’ve been here before with past fasts…but it is different this time knowing that I am not near the end but still have 45 more days…then more. So when I dream about food (that’s a thing, right?)… last night it was… at a nice restaurant with my girl, at the bar (it’s weird that we prefer to sit at the bar…I’ll have to dig into that) and the bartender brings me a big and beautiful, medium rare, ribeye steak, baked potato with wayyy too much butter and sour cream and some perfectly cooked broccoli (trying to eat healthy) with more butter! A nice Malbec or three and a hot apple crisp with vanilla ice cream for dessert. One second, a need a moment :drooling_face:… So that was nice but it’s so far off it’s like I’m dreaming of winning the lottery or growing 4 inches taller overnight. Oh well.

This morning, once again, I’m battling another crappy nights sleep. Never a member of the good sleep club, I’ll chalk it up to my body saying …dude wtf? and figure it will work itself out. Besides being a little tired, I feel alright…some gut issues. More about that below. I’m not hungry at all. Chugging my water with my fancy expensive salt (is it really from the Himalayans?) and potassium…so far so good.

I mentioned earlier that I enjoy my infrared sauna…and I haven’t stopped because of the fast. There is copious data supporting the position that sitting in a hot box for 45 minutes, 4-7 days per week is not only an incredibly sweaty, slightly uncomfortable experience but can remove toxins, make your skin glow and keep all cause mortality at bay. I’m not making this stuff up… if you don’t know who Rhonda Patrick is, you should (imho):

I am closely monitoring my sauna sessions while I fast… on a normal non-fasting day it can make me a little light headed. Lately, I’m feeling the whole Native American, peyote fueled sweat lodge vibe. Seriously! It’s a little wild. So I’ll be careful with my sauna baths during this journey.

So into Day 5… I feel my stomach is revolting (stop laughing!)… my IBS is kicking in (so much for the gluten theory triggering my lower GI cramps) and I am still bloated. A little disheartening, no food for 4 1/2 days…and my reward is my pants (ok shorts…I work from home) are getting tighter. I’m confident my happy and gas free tummy, like thin ties, capris pants and $2.00 gasoline, will be coming back! I’m just going to wait it out. The numbers are still underwhelming… down another 1lb… so 5 overall. Now at 275.

See you tomorrow!

1 Like

Well, not to throw you off your game - you still can do those things again, just as a very conscious decision when you do. Also being aware that your body likes to do those things because they are the familiar and predictable. The unknown is what scares people away from change.

Welcome to the forum!

I’m intrigued about your thoughts and beliefs on the DNA subject.

I currently follow some Joe Dispenza material.

The belief is that our DNA is like Christmas lights. We can turn on and off certain things.

One thing that gives this belief some validation is seeing stories about twins. One can get obese and the other stays thin. One dies early and one stays alive a lot longer.

State of mind, mind heart coherence, and reprogramming/rewiring the brain.

Meditation and going into the nothingness of the quantum field where infinite possibilities exist.

Becoming Supernatural.

Discussions of how much more difficult it is to change matter with matter as opposed to creating new matter with energy - as everything is energy.

Will run away now before I scare you :sweat_smile:.

1 Like

Thank you Miramar! Not scary at all… what you say makes sense! I will provide my DNA content in an upcoming post. I agree… DNA is often a “what could be”… not “what must be”. Caio!

1 Like

So much interesting food for thought (ha, punny) on this thread!

@Justin, how hot is your infrared sauna? Do you value that over traditional saunas for detox? Hope you have a great day, and that the dream of ribeye and malbec comes true when you want it to. :wink:

@Jewell… I have a Clearlight… it is both near and far infrared. If I pre-heat it for 45 minutes, it will climb to 135 degrees F. For detox, based on my research, I feel the infrared are better. The all cause mortality studies have all been on traditional Finnish saunas that get to 175F or more. So most traditionalists prefer those. I live in a two room efficiency (divorce, moved out of my house, long story) so I didn’t have the room or the environment for a traditional sauna.

Day 6 Somewhat of a rough go of it today. Another night of abysmal sleep last night. Woke up to a bit of a headache with some serious brain fog. Tired…just really tired. I suppose there is never a good time to start a 50 day water fast. There will always be reasons to defer and defer and defer. As I have mentioned, like many now, I work from home. I run a Technology Department for a large Medical School and there is no reason to leave the confines of my little apartment. Especially now that I am not eating or drinking, there is truly no need to go outside.

Working from home during the pandemic and post pandemic has certainly lost every bit of any perceived glamor. My work day begins about 7:00… Zoom and MS Teams meetings start at 8:00 and, for me in my position, are constant until 5:00. More often than not, I’m running or actively participating in the meetings…so no opportunity to space out and simply smile at the screen. Then there are a few more hours after 5:00 to actually get some work done. Weekends are simply workdays without meetings. Many of you are in the same boat…so none of this is a revelation. My point is water fasting these days is a double-edged sword. You certainly have enough to do to keep your mind off the absence of food… but you don’t have the opportunity to take “a lie down” or a prolonged, relaxing moment to reflect upon your internal fortitude and overall awesomeness. Every day requires focus, stamina and acuity. I think I am at that phase of the fast where all of those traits have taken a much deserved holiday.

So the numbers for Day 6. Finally a little less bloated and the scale is moving, albeit just a little. I can’t decide if I am consuming too much salt or not enough. The whole salt thing has become a confused obsession for me. On top of that my blood pressure is trending markedly up, not down as I have been led to believe it should. I will be shooting for 3 grams of sodium a day on days where I don’t take a sauna or otherwise get all sweaty…and 4 grams on the days I do.

Another 2.5 lbs down. Now at 272.5. Thank you again for this forum and all the support that you’ve provided me…it has made a huge difference. I feel that you are all with me on this journey. Well, not actually here with me, there is legit barely enough room in my little apartment for my fat ass. :grinning:

See you tomorrow!

3 Likes

So the crap sleep is due to increased adrenaline and stress hormones that our bodies secrete to GO HUNT, MAN. I take a half a Benadryl during these nights, and even if I have super adrenaline fasting brain, I sleep like a baby. Highly recommend, not habit forming.

Headaches/brain fog: I read a lot about electrolytes for longer fasts, I wonder if you might be overdoing it being so early in the fast. I think Jason Fung recommends light supplementing a bit later, but that for the most part our bodies have ample stores for shorter fasts and beginning stages of longer ones.

Blood pressure. Here’s a good Q&A I found:

“Should i worry if my blood pressure while fasting goes up?”

*This is quite common, and due to breakdown of glycogen or production of new glucose in response to some of the hormonal changes of fasting. It is neither good nor bad.

Think of it this way. Your body is simply moving sugar from its stores (glycogen and fat) and pushing it into the blood. Here your body has a chance to burn it off.*

I think you are switching from burning carbs to fat. Push through this, it won’t last!

3 Likes