40 days fast Type One Diabetic

I started fasting on October 27th. I am trying not to count days I fasted, more like fasting until a certain day, which will be December 10th.

The reasons: I am not trying to lose weight. I truly believe that there are other, easier and more sustainable ways to lose weight.
I also think that any person, healthy or not should incorporate monthly or weekly fasting into their routine for health reasons.
I am doing 40 days fast because I am hoping 1. Recover my pancreas ( I have T1 Diabetes), reprogram immune cells, minimize inflammation, restore neural function, restore my stomach liningā€¦
Will see what happens.
After my 30 day fast in March I tried to start 40 days fast since August. Every time something had been coming up which interrupted my fast. I ended up doing a bunch of 5 to 7 days fastsā€¦

4 Likes

Today was a good day. I felt energetic. I finally got to sleep. I slept almost 8 hours! It was incredible.
I went shopping and spent 2 hours in Macyā€™s. I bought some skinny jeans, cashmere sweaters, makeup, and lipstick, matching two of my sweatersā€¦ it was awesome, because everything but makeup was almost 50 percent off but the store was EMPTY. I think last time I used a dressing room in the store was in 2010ā€¦ I do not even remember when I was shopping for clothes in personā€¦
Anyway, I went grocery shopping and came back home to cook. Teriyaki chicken with noodles from scratch, I think I just invented a recipe for teriyaki sauceā€¦
I worked a little, then answered emails, and picked up my daughter and the rest of my day was all about her.
I didnā€™t weigh myself or measured blood pressure or pulse, a bit irresponsible of me. My blood sugar was 65 to 67 pretty much whole dayā€¦
I am not hungry anymore, so it makes everything a bit easierā€¦

1 Like

Today was awesome. I woke up with low energy, but then I made a plan for a day and somehow things became more exciting. I forgot to measure everythingā€¦againā€¦ I will make a point to do it tomorrow. I think I need a new battery for a scaleā€¦ I would estimate my weight about 150 - 155 lb.
My blood sugar is 58 mg/dL whole dayā€¦ it raised to 71 when I was shoppingā€¦
I think my sensor is lying. I will find or buy a regular meter and poke my finger, I think me sensor probably at least 10 points lower than my actual blood sugar.
Being type one diabetic and living without insulin, having a normal blood sugar is a dream come true.
Anywaysā€¦ I shopped, beauty supplies, TJMAXX, some stuff for home, spend some time doing math with my daughter and then 4 hours of training for Utah Domestic Violence prevention hotlineā€¦ I am planning to volunteer there. Soā€¦ child is sleeping. I have too much energy to go to bed. I almost feel like to do a treadmill or somethingā€¦

2 Likes

So, had been a little busy, still, no excuseā€¦ fasting goes good. Should I mention that I have a period since Wednesday? No pain at all. Just in case if someone outthere wondering how is fasting and period goes.
I am in the tub, soaking in dead sea salt. For the last hour. My blood sugar is 49 mg/dL, but I think that sensor exaggerates lower blood sugarā€¦ or, should I say, intentionally lowers it?

1 Like

Maybe I should mention that I got all busy with organizing my house that I didnā€™t sleep entire Friday night. I felt sleepy at 6 am thoughā€¦ badā€¦ But on Saturday I couldnā€™t sleep during a day because I had a training for Utah Domestic Violence Coalition from 9 to 5ā€¦ soā€¦ I went to bed last night earlyā€¦ at 10 pmā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve just found this thread and will follow.
Iā€™m a type1 diabetic also (33 years).
I have done many fasts now (up to 10 days) including at least 1, 7 day fast in each of the last 6 months.
Iā€™m also hopeful fasting could help/cure type 1.
Assuming you are on a pump if you have a continuous monitor?
Hope you do well.

1 Like

Dear Diff. I got off insulin and all diabetic medications last year. In December.

this is tonight
I think my sensor is off at least 10 points. I canā€™t check because I lost my freestyle monitor to check blood sugar by pricked fingerā€¦ I did put a request for replacement with my doctor on Friday and then realized that she only works Monday through Thursday! :smiley::smiley::smiley: so hopefully she will see my message tomorrow and send prescription to the pharmacy. If not, I will consider paying for it out of the pocket, I donā€™t imagine it would be more than 25 dollars.
I am curious to know what my real blood sugar is, after all this is why I am doing this!
BTW ā€œcureā€ is a strong wordā€¦ I donā€™t want to go and see my future in pink glasses, butā€¦ some crazy experimental stuff Iā€™ve read keeps me hopefull. For now I will settle for a stable long term remission :smiley::smiley::smiley:

4 Likes

Whatā€™s the time difference, I wonder between Utah, USA and Perth?

Soā€¦ today I had a slow and thirsty morning. I was going to measure my weight, even changed a battery yesterday (!) But. I have a rule that you must go use the restroom, do not drink anything, undress ā€¦ and then go on the scale. Otherwise it will be wrongā€¦ donā€™t judge me, we all have some crazy ideas about this or thatā€¦ so, I woke up in horror. Because I had a dream that I ate a cake. I donā€™t know why cake, keeping in mind that I hadnā€™t had any cake since 2008ā€¦ I donā€™t even crave cake, it is not on the list of desired food at all, but anyhowā€¦ so I dream that I am at some fancy party, someone offers me a piece of cake, I mindlessly take a spoonful and put it in my mouth and immediately in my dream I remembered that I was fasting. But the cake is already swallowed :smiley::smiley::smiley:
I wake up in horror, then realized that it was a dreamā€¦ and I was so thirsty so I grabbed water from my nightstand and started drinking like there was no tomorrowā€¦
And then remembered that I was going to weigh myself and even changed batteries.
Honestly, weight is not important to me personally at all. Like, what difference does it make?
But. I must keep records of physical parametersā€¦ I will start tomorrow. I will measure weight, blood pressure, pulse, and record blood sugar and will try to do it daily, I guess it may help someone to see dynamic?
Soā€¦ slow morning. Long bath, over 1.5 hours. With salt. But at the end of the day I was fast and efficient and full of energy.
Right now, though, I have a pain on my left side. Bad. Under the ribs on the side upfront and in the backā€¦
I will wait it outā€¦
BTW. Despite my dream, there isnā€™t anything I crave ā€¦ I was food shopping todayā€¦ and looked at food like you look at clothesā€¦ or shoesā€¦ I cook too. And not even once I was tempted to try food. I guess at some point food becomes a foreign concept.
So. 12 am here. I will do some laundry. Wash dishes. Clean up kitchen and go to sleep.
TTYL everyone

2 Likes

Today was a hectic day. I was good on energy but. Around 3 pm I felt tired, felt cold, and wanted to wrap in blanketā€¦ nope. I needed to pick up my daughter from school. For lunch she requested her favorite sandwich. You fry two eggs, but be careful if any sign of brown, or dark yellow, she wouldnā€™t eat it.
Then you take piece of breast from rotisserie chicken and cut it very small and mix with a bit of natural light mayo. Get two pieces of multigrain bread and toast it a bit. Turn on the oven 350 degrees.
On the bread put cheese, from both sides. Then on one side put chicken, on another egg and put it together into huge sandwich. Wrap tightly in aluminum foil and put it into oven for 5 -10 minutes so everything melts together.
So today she asked for this and peanut butter. I said I am not that courageous to experiment like this, I will provide a sandwich and peanut butter and then whatever other individuals do with it is not my business :smiley::smiley::smiley:
Soo. She was eating that sandwich with peanut butter. Maybe this shoild be a new recipe.
So its 10 pm. My daughter is sleeping. I will go clean some kitchen stuff and go to bed too. Have a great night. Oh BTW. The weight is 150.4
My height is 5.9
Tomorrow will measure a blood pressure and such.
Sensor keeps insisting that blood sugar is 54ā€¦

Oh well.
My doctor (hopefully) sent correct prescription to a pharmacy. And we will know for sure then

1 Like

So, itā€™s been a few days. I do my usual stuff, cooking, shopping, taking care of my daughter, working and such.
I get a bit dizzy taking hot showers, maybe from now on, I will just sit in the tub :wink::smiley::wink::smiley:.
I also started to bruise easily. It usually comes on the day 15, or soā€¦ when you bruise from blood tests, or small pinchā€¦ expected. Unpleasant but livable.
I do not exercise but walk.
Blood sugar is stable
Today I went to get a vision examā€¦
Will see how my day goes after ![Screenshot_20211117-133019|236x500]
(upload://reIScBqkIj2BKy5yj1wHF9zQH6P.jpeg)
BTW blood sugar raises from hot bath, excitement, stress, sex, exercise, etcā€¦

2 Likes

Hi Milla! Nice to meet youā€¦Iā€™m Daisy, just starting my water fast.
May I ask what day youā€™re on?
Iā€™m thinking to incorporate light walking in tooā€¦ will miss my cardio but know after a few days itā€™ll likely be difficult!

1 Like

I am not sure what day I am on ā€¦ I started on October 27th and intentionally do not count days I fasted, more like when is the goal. Looking forward, not back, so to speak. The goal is December 10th. So I will be here for a while if something major doesnā€™t cause me to break my fast.
Hopefully (fingers crossed) its going to be fineā€¦

2 Likes

Oh BTW. For mentioning fasting I had been kicked out from every Diabetic forum
And the last straw- facebook group for type one. Lady said, so assumptiosā€¦ that I practice dangerous things, they kick me out from the group, there is no way my doctor agree to it, I should go talk to my doctor instead. Wish you good health. When I said that my Endocrinologist doesnā€™t mind, she didnā€™t believe me. When I said I am type one living without insulin for almost a year now, she didnā€™t believe me. Then she got angry that I didnā€™t tell everyone that there is a way to live without insulin. Her daughter is type one and on insulin, she said I am selfish. I reminded her that I tried just to mention it and she, as admin, kicked me out from the groupā€¦
I think I will start making videos. Or write a book or both. My husband said I shouldnā€™t keep to myself because this information can help someone to save their lifeā€¦

2 Likes

Hey Milla, youā€™ve actually unintentionally gave me a great tip there - ā€˜when is the goalā€™.
Thatā€™s such a good way of looking at it, my goal will be the 10th December tooā€¦in this time frame I will try not to look back as you said counting days - but rather immerse myself in the fasting experience and know I am here for a little while, for very important beneficial reasons :slight_smile:

1 Like

P.s unfortunately us healing our bodies and not requiring medicine isnā€™t always beneficial for the doctors :wink: videos sound like a great idea!

1 Like

Thanks Mila.
It looks like Utah is 15 hours behind Perth.
You are doing very well to not need insulin.
I am interested to see what a blood sugar monitor will tell you.
I have steered clear of type 1 diabetic forums, most of them seem to think going without food will be the end of a type 1 diabetic.
Iā€™m very keen to do some longer fasts, last September, I did a 7 day fast and for the last 4 days I did not inject any insulin. On the 7th day I ate a low-carb meal (salmon and veges) at 11am. My sugar did rise to 9.8mmol/l (167.4 mg/dl) 2 hours later. I decided to have no insulin and kept checking my blood sugar, by 9 pm it was down to 6.4mmol/l (167.4 mg/dl), without injecting any insulin.
So far, I have not been able to replicate that in the many 7-10 day fasts Iā€™ve done since, but I am considerably heavier now (around 15 kgs/30pounds), which may be having some effect.
I work for myself, brick paving and limestone retaining walls. Heavy work which means I try to avoid getting too light or low on energy.

1 Like

Diff

This is my sensor this morning

Diff,
It would be hard to fast and do brick paving for sure!
For you the best way might be taking a month and a half off and going somewhere to remote location to do a fast. Away from distractions. My humble opinion, of course.

Soā€¦ today I am energetic. I actually slept. Whole night. Wednesday night I was baking and didnā€™t get to sleep. At all. I ended up dozing off in the end of my training for Utah Domestic Violence Coalitionā€¦ which should be going till 9 pm. At 9 pm I found myself in bed and my daughter next to meā€¦ she has her own bedroom and sleeps there, but because I didnā€™t come to do massage before bed and hugs, she took this opportunity and cozied up next to me and we just fell asleep on my bed. Of course I woke up at 12 am ā€¦
But still
Today I am excited, rested ā€¦will see what day brings.
Sugar somewhere in 60s. Weight approximately 146 lb