4 week building up challenge with IF

It has been awhile since I have been here. Mostly due to the fact that I lost my job and I had to take care of a puppy. That meant getting up at night, so fasting wasn’t exactly my biggest concern. I also ate lots of carbage and almost no vegetables or fruit. That feels (even to me) so not right.
Now that she’s a bit older (13 weeks now) and she no longer has to get up to go potty at 2 am in the morning, I think I am ready to get back up on track again.
My ultimate goal would be a 14 day waterfast, but since I know myself, I will prepare this. That’s why I will start with intermittent fasting and I will build it up from 20/4 - 22/2 - 23/1 or OMAD to a variety of 24h, OMAD, 22/2 and 20/4. These intermittent fasting build ups will take about four weeks. I hope to be as much in ketosis as I possible can. Off course lots of good fats, moderate amount of protein and carbs only from vegetables and fruits.
That is what I would like to start with, my last meal will be today at 6.30 pm.

I am ready! Let’s do this!

1 Like

Good plan, taking into consideration what you’ve learned. Look forward to reading about your progress.

1 Like

I am doing well so far, this is my fourth day into IF (20/4). I have increased my fats and reduced my carbs. Lots of leavy vegetables.
After four days I found out I am in ketoses.
I eat twice a day normally, and for the first time, after four days, I don’t want to eat that second meal. I was planning to do an increase of fasting per week, but since I don’t feel hungry already, I can start with 22/2 IF tomorrow instead of Monday.
I do feel some inflammatory pain in my left side, an aching pain that kicked in this morning. If this is a side effect of less carbs, high fats and what causes it, I would like to know.
I am very pleased with the first results.

1 Like

Do you suffer from arthritis or any other inflammatory disease that could explain the pain in your left side?

The only thing I can think of is due to an accident many years ago, I was diagnosed with discus bulging. It’s a sort of hernia. But no arthritis.
I also had a kidney infection about a year ago, but on the other side (right side).
These are the only things I can come up with.

Is the pain going away now? The only thing I can think of, related to the fast, is that its a temporary symptom related to the transition from glucose burning to ketosis. Otherwise, I’d check with your doctor if it persists.

1 Like

First week of my building up challenge to a waterfast is completed.
I lost 1 kg in a week and this without excercising. I did not eat bread, pasta, pizza, processed foods, etc.
The pain in my left side also completely vanished, so I am glad about that.
Today was the first day I did a 24 h fast. It went well, but at the end of the fast I was so happy I could eat.
I am planning some 24h fasts this week and a 36 h fast too. This way I can practice even more.

Starting weight last week (forgot to mention this) was 85.6 kg
Starting weight this week was 84.5 kg

2 Likes

You are well on your way to building up that “fasting muscle”!

This is the end of my second week in preparation to a prolonged waterfasting.
So far so good.
I did twice 24h, then a refeed (OMAD). Then, my first plan was to do 36 hours, but along the way I changed it to 48 hours. I was feeling so good, I even made it to the next day. It was not fully 72 hours, because I felt I needed to break my fast at 7.30 pm, instead of 9 pm.
I was not hungry at all during those days, but I felt very dizzy. Especially the third day. It was only when I had to come up fast (getting out of bed, or when I cleaned the floor). I did go for a walk and then I did not feel so dizzy.
I took lots of sea salt, magnesium and potassium. I drank mostly water, but also tea and coffee (black)

I lost 0.5 kg. I did lose some waterweight (3.6 kg) but I gained it back since I had a very royal diner last night. Hence, I am very happy with the result.
This week I will throw in a couple 24h and even a 48h. No intentions to go longer this week, but if I feel good and I am not hungry and/or emotional, I can try to do my first full 72 hours.

Starting weight was 85.6 kg
Weight this morning: 84.0 kg

1 Like