30 day water only fast

Started on 13th June 2020

4 Likes

Welcome to our fasting community!

Technical note: to keep future entries on this single thread, click on reply in the lower right hand corner.

Hi Compdude. Thank you very much for welcoming me here.

Iā€™m very new to this site. I hope to learn a lot about IF, water only fast plus the site. :wink:

1 Like

Hi, good luck :grinning:

2 Likes

I broke the fast after only 18 hours. I just snapped and ate. I feel embarrassed. Iā€™ve restarted the fast. I hope it works this time.

Honestly over the past 4 months itā€™s always been this routine. I start a fastā€¦at times I go upto 3 days then I break the fast prematurely.

I have gone on a water only fast twice beforeā€¦a 14 day fast and a 21 day fast.
This third time has been elusive for several months now. I canā€™t seem to get it going :frowning:

I really need to kick-start the fast because Iā€™m at my heaviest weight ever. 105kg
My ideal weight is 75kg. Iā€™m 178 cm tall

1 Like

You may want to consider these factors:

1. Is your ā€œwhyā€ strong enough?
  2. Has the stress factors gone up significantly in your life?
  3. Has your body had a ā€œbreakā€ recently?

On this one I went through 4 consecutive failures. At 1st I thought it was a matter of willpower, then realized I had been fasting, in one form or another for 2 months straight and my body needed a break. I did a 9-day refeed and immediately thereafter completed a 40-day water (only) and walk fast (aka The Jesus Fast).

1 Like

Thank you for your advice Compdude.

It might be #3.

Iā€™ve been having some form of a fast for several months now. Iā€™d want it to be water only fast but Iā€™ve just realized Iā€™ve been alternating IF of say 18:6 and no fast at all.
Do you think I should have a refeeding before I start fasting?

Ps. I think all the above suits me.

1. My why is no longer solid enough. Iā€™ve come to accept (by about 8 out of 10) that maybe I cannot lose the excess weight. This is after regaining all the weight I had lost before. Although I know it was because of poor dietary choices.

2. Iā€™m sometimes sorounded by colleagues and ā€˜friendsā€™ who comment on my weight gain hence it stresses me up big time. BIG TIME! I hate them! I pretend to smile away and give an excuse that Iā€™ll just lose the weight eaaaasy if I go to the gymā€¦but deep down I hurt because I know Iā€™m trying my best given the circumstances.

Ohh my situation is messed up :frowning:

1 Like
  1. Yes, do the refeed. Fasting, by its nature, is stressful on the body. Give it a ā€œvacationā€. Re-energized you might do something amazing afterwards.

2. From being here since Yas established the forum back in October last year, Iā€™ve seen several people fail due to ā€œstressfulā€ environments. A friend of mine actually moved across town to a new apartment for a month to get away from it. She was successful as she completed a 30-day. You can read about her journey @Anna.

3. Understand that the colleagues and friends are coming from a place of insecurity and jealousy. You taking a stand to make a change holds up a mirror to their own shortcomings. When I began my journey, outside of an initial skeptical but supportive family, the only person that knew was my pastor who was my weekly accountability person. Even then we kept it confidential until my weight loss became so apparent is when we went public.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

It really does help. Thank you very much.

Before I let you goā€¦Kindly advise me on the food choices I should make so as to optimize my refeeding process in preparation for my fast.

As an NASM certified Personal Trainer, I have to adhere to my scope of practice and tell you I canā€™t give you any specific nutrition advice and instead direct you to a Registered Dietician.

With that said, I can tell you from my personal experience and observations of others in the forum its best to do 2 to 3 days of low carb meals and reduce or eliminate all refined carbohydrates in preparation. Also light exercise during the 1st 3 days will deplete the glycogen (stored carbohydrate) in your muscles and shorten the transition time into ketosis.

1 Like

Noted. Thank you very much.

Iā€™ll keep you updated on my progress.

Yesterday I went through your daily notes and noticed how you had your whole days mapped out plus even had a daily unique theme song.

Other than having a routine, what got you through the low moments when you almost gave up? What gave you the stamina to keep going?

My ā€œwhyā€.

When I began my journey almost a year ago I was a firm believer in the ā€œEat Less Exercise Moreā€ approach to health. As a former athlete and former certified personal trainer that approach worked for me and my clients.

In 2010 I had a health crisis where I became bedridden and lost my business. 2013 I suffered congestive heart :heart: failure where I discovered I was a T2 diabetic, had CKD (Chronic Kidney Disease), hypertension, high cholesterol and gout. 2015 initiated my own rehab to walk again. April last year got serious on doing Eat Less Exercise More. 3 months later made progress on cholesterol and told I had my diabetes ā€œunder controlā€. Didnā€™t explain why my BP was 191/103, 20 pound gain after a year of insulin, my neuropathy and CKD was getting worse.

Got mad as hell. Did the research. Used my background in computer systems design and workout program design to come up with my own treatment protocol.

With that as background staying motivated is easy. Itā€™s either this or end up on the dialysis machine or having my feet amputated. Lol :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Now that right there is a very strong why!

You are a Champion man!

You can do this :grinning: Iā€™m on fast day 3 today and it feels like autopilot already, Iā€™m gonna try for 21 days, but I will see how I feel at the end days and if still good, I could maybe go a bit more days as well.
Iā€™m glad you enjoyed your refeeding week and are back on fasting. I feel like fasting teaches you to appreciate good food a lot more, and for the not so good ones, I can feel the difference how my body feels after like heavy and uncomfortable.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s great!

Did you complete your fast? Iā€™m trying to garner motivation to start an extended fastā€¦