Sky's Daily Journal

Midway thru day 3. Just kind of bored and waiting for it to be over. Feeling good. Every evening, I want to quit. I’ve made a rule. I can only quit in the morning, not in the evening. I’m much stronger mentally in the morning. I had some ginger turmeric tea yesterday and it was delightful. Thankfully, it did not nauseate me as regular tea and coffee seem to do when I’m fasting. I haven’t needed electrolytes yet this fast. I think the Gerolsteiner water is the key. I drink 1 bottle a day. Keto strip is just the lightest pink so I’m just starting back into ketosis today. Too many carbs last week.

2 Likes

Day 4 164.6 lbs. I’m feeling it’s best to stay sedentary today. I nearly blacked out when returning from my walk yesterday. Made it in the door just as my vision went black. I’m in ketosis (dark pink on my strip). As long as I’m sitting or laying down, I feel great. I smell horrible. I do not like the way I smell when fasting. I spent a couple hours this morning dreaming of Chinese food - beef with broccoli specifically. I will end my fast tomorrow evening, or possibly the next morning.

2 Likes

Another 36 hrs fasting today. That seems to be working well from a health standpoint. I ate too much yesterday so was happy not to eat today. I keep planning too much volume in my meals. I keep the calories in check, but still seem to be overeating. I guess it’s all the decades of trying to volumize with veggies and now I can’t hold that much food. At least I decided against ice cream for dinner and had half a spaghetti squash instead.

3 Likes

Completed my MWF 36 hr fasts last week. Yay me!

Started fasting late Sunday afternoon. I just feel compelled to try to do a longer fast. Each 4-5 day fast, I say that’s the last one and I’ll stick to shorter ones, but then I try again.

This one’s a very dirty fast. I had a small cup (4 oz) of salty broth Mon & Tues morning. I’m drinking an electrolyte powder that is mostly stevia instead of taking pot/mag pills. The 1st 2 days of a fast are super easy for me so I haven’t gotten to the hard part yet. Maybe the broth and powder will help ward off the blackouts and weakness to allow me to go longer. Maybe not. And the broth fills me up very well at breakfast time although I suppose it inhibits autophagy.

I went for a walk this morning. The first 2 miles were lovely, then I got tired. The last mile was challenging. I had to sit down briefly. I never know if that’s from fasting or CFS. Maybe I just ran out of glycogen.

I’m not going to weigh myself, or at least I won’t for as long as I can stand it. I should probably hide the scale. And I’m also trying to focus on this as a religious fast rather than a weight loss one, but I can’t lie to myself; It’s weight loss I want most.

2 Likes

67 hrs done. Feeling a little weak today. I woke up really early around 4am and then fell asleep on the couch at 10am. I walked around the block, but didn’t feel up to doing more than that. Having a few minor hunger pangs, but nothing really to speak of. I think tomorrow is when it starts to get hard.

2 Likes

I worked yesterday, but it wasn’t too bad. I was dizzy/weak in the morning, but was feeling better by the time I got to work at noon.

Today, I’m 161.4 lbs. I’m not struggling with hunger, but dizziness and a very high heart rate when standing continue to be a problem. I do feel better today than I have at this point on some other fasts. I may even be able to go for a walk. I’m planning to break my fast tomorrow morning…and praying to hit 160. Then I can refeed Sat/Sun. Monday morning I’m flying across the country. I’ll plan OMAD that day since airplanes and lounges don’t have food right now anyway, and my mom will probably make me dinner (or maybe we’ll go out…restaurants are fully functioning in her state). Now, to figure out how to semi-fast on Wed & Fri without my mom knowing…

1 Like

It’s funny how ravenous I get when I know the end of my fast is coming. I was awake almost all night starving. I finally got up about 4:30 am (5 1/2 days fast) and had an egg and a little avocado. At 4:30 before eating my weight was 161. I went back to bed for a couple hours and was 160.2 at 9am, after eating and drinking. I think my scale is weird.

2 Likes

24 hours into my latest fast…going for 48. Today’s the national day of prayer and fasting. After my vacation, I had a difficult time getting back on track. I’m 170 lbs. It was so easy to fast before, but the past few weeks, I haven’t managed anything but OMAD. This morning was tough, but I’m feeling more committed now. I’m hoping getting past the first 24 hours breaks some kind of mental barrier I’ve been struggling with.

I haven’t been eating at work, but when I get home at night, I go crazy. That needs to stop now. I work tomorrow and am planning to show a little better discipline tomorrow evening.

3 Likes

Starting a “longer” fast last night. It’s day 1 of however long I can go. Probably will get too weak and dizzy to make it to 10 days, but I keep trying. Taking the electrolytes helps some, but not enough. I’m on vacation from work for the next couple weeks and I’ll get any errands done the first 3 days of the fast before I get too weak to drive.

This fast is water, coffee, tea and vitamins/minerals.

2 Likes

Been wondering where you went!

I’m on day 5 of 21. I’ve got so much more energy on this fast.

1 Like

HI…I’ve been lurking occasionally, but not posting much. I’m on day 3 of some unknown number of days and doing well. The first 3 days are always easy for me and then it gets difficult.

1 Like

One more day done. 165.6 this morning. Feeling better than usual on day 4. I’m a little hungry, but not near as dizzy and weak as usual by this time. Was out most of the day rather than laying on the couch like usual. I was happy to wear some clothes I bought a couple months ago in a smaller size than I was wearing then. The jeans were tight, but fine with a tunic top. About 10 more lbs and they should fit very comfortably.

2 Likes

Day 5 and 164.2 today. I’m not at all dizzy or weak, even better than yesterday. I am hungry, but not starving. The hunger is making it harder.

I was having massive hair loss for a couple of weeks. That seems to have stopped and is back to normal amounts of hair loss. I did lose probably 10% or more of my hair, coming out in handfuls. I always lose hair after dieting or when my health is acting up, but this was the most severe it’s ever been. At least it stopped quickly rather than lasting months as it sometimes does. Taking lots of vitamins and minerals for it.

2 Likes

I notice I have significant hair loss when I am iron deficient. Also, I found DIM helped a lot with maintaining my hair. Have you had your ferritin levels checked?

Yes, I have an enormous blood panel once or twice a year. My iron and ferritin are good. They were low for decades, but I used to supplement and now just maintain it with food choices and cast iron pans. I am due for a blood panel very soon. My body tends to react to any weight loss or really any stress on the body with hair loss, unfortunately. Thank you for the suggestions, though.

1 Like

Broke my fast at 5 days and 5 hours. Really hungry, racing heart, couldn’t sleep, just not feeling quite right before that which says to me…eat something. I’ve had one cup of broth and feeling fine. I’ll stick to broth today. I was reading about Upton Sinclair breaking a water fast with a raw milk diet. I’ve done a raw milk healing diet in the past. I think I’ll do raw milk tomorrow.

I’m 163.8 today. That puts me back about where I was 6 weeks ago. Not too bad for 6 weeks of messing around and a 5 day fast. I regret about 4 of the lost 6 weeks, but…moving forward.My fingers and feet are puffy, maybe from the heat. We had a little heat wave here.

I’m planning a couple days in Santa Barbara for my birthday next week, then another 3-5 day fast right after that.

2 Likes

Happy early birthday ! :slight_smile::clinking_glasses::bouquet:

Doing MWF fasts for Lent, with coffee. Fasting about 33-36 hours at a time (e.g. from Sunday after dinner to Tuesday breakfast) and eating regularly on the off days. So far, so good.

3 Likes

It’s been a while. I’ve regained my weight. Why do I do that? It’s annoying to have to lose the same weight over and over. Anyway, I’m still here and I’m still trying. How come some days, it’s so easy to fast for several days and other days, it’s impossible to make it to mid morning of the first day? I started counting calories, dieting, then I thought, “This is awful. Fasting is much more pleasant.”

Did a 76 hr fast end of April. Lost 6.5/regained 2.5 and maintained until yesterday. Now working on 3-5 day fast. Goal to end the month at 180 lbs and 170 lbs next month.

I gave up soda and artificial sweeteners almost 20 years ago. Last fast, I got really nauseous and had some Diet Coke at work the 3rd day of my fast. It was, in that moment, the best thing I’d ever tasted. It solved all my nausea and hunger issues. I think I may decide to be on a Diet Coke fast instead of a water fast. Whatever works…

3 Likes

YaY! You’re Back!

Woohoo!

:rofl:

I just came across a fabulous video about doing 5 day broth fasts. He explains that he knows it’s technically not really a fast but that it is super beneficial and can help with keeping losses going.

I think if I get into some up day down day this summer I really should just do the broth.

I’m going crazy atm as I’m making broth right now to be ready for my refeed after 21 days! You showed up just in time!

I won’t be doing another one of these fasts for a while. Maybe closer to the end of the year. But I will be jumping into some 4-5 day a week fasts shortly.

So happy you posted! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like