Riallyst Daily Journal

Yesterday did not go as planned and I broke my fast after 22 hours. I realized I was not rested enough to deal with stress and a fast at the same time. I will probably just do a smaller weekend fast starting Friday afternoon and ending on Monday morning.

2 Likes

If you’re not super-into a fast it’s particularly difficult, and you can end up punishing yourself if it doesn’t go the way you planned (been there!). Maybe you could give yourself permission to have the weekend off? Just relax and have one less thing to stress about. Then get properly into it after the weekend :two_hearts: :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yup, this attempt at fasting backfired spectacularly. Looks like I will have to stick with my normal 6 hour window until I’m in a better state of mind.

3 Likes

Hi Riallyst! I’m new to the water fasting forum and reading through people’s journals. I can totally relate to that feeling of not being excited to fast! I liked how you focused on being calm and at ease instead of freaking out about the number on the scale and what not. Sometimes I feel grumpy that I’m fasting and have wondered if I needed to take a break or celebrate smaller victories instead. Rooting for you and hope you have a great week! :v:t3:

3 Likes

I was able to fast for 18 hours before breaking my fast today. I ate really healthy, but I was not able to stick to a 6 hour eating window.

I am aiming for at least a 15 hour fast tomorrow and I plan on avoiding late night meals. My weight has increased only a very slight amount. I should be able to avoid gaining any more weight as long as I get enough sleep and stay relaxed. I have accepted that an extended fast may not be an option right now, but I know I can still lose weight using intermittent fasting for the time being.

4 Likes

Smaller fasts are equally as valid :heart::smiley:

5 Likes

Surprised myself and did a 19 hour fast and OMAD today! I had some hunger pangs around lunchtime but decided to read a book instead.
The hunger just completely stopped and didn’t return for the rest of the day. Happy to see my fasting muscle kick into gear so quickly and smoothly!

I debated whether or not to skip dinner, but I decided to just appreciate my win and enjoy a giant salad. Tomorrow will be busy, so I think an 18 to 20 hour fast is a reasonable target.

2 Likes

Whoo-hoo @riallyst! Go Sarah! :confetti_ball:

2 Likes

Successfully completed a 20 hour fast yesterday. It was a busy day with minor cravings disappearing really quickly and easily. I definitely feel like I could have fasted longer, but instead I had a late lunch.

Unfortunately preparations for Thanksgiving got the better of me and I spent the evening eating sweets even though I wasn’t hungry at all. Hours later, I still feel uncomfortably full and didn’t sleep well.

I did not plan on fasting at all on Thanksgiving, but it looks like I will have to fast until my stomach settles down, so I will probably end up unintentionally fasting for 15 or so hours just so my digestion can recover.

5 Likes

Fasted 16 hours yesterday and still had a huge, delicious, overindulgent, Thanksgiving feast in a 4 hour window!

I’m about 14 hours into today’s fast. My goal for today is 18 hours, but I will also wait until I actually feel hungry before I break my fast. I will also pay attention to my hunger signals, eating slowly and stopping when I’ve had enough.

I am realizing that because of my stomach issues, I may not be absorbing enough protein or nutrients from the foods I’m eating and that might also be contributing to my carb cravings/overeating (along with insomnia and stress). So that’s another area I will be researching as well.

4 Likes

21 hour fast yesterday. I ate a sensible meal but ended it with a big dessert. Later on in the evening I ended up snacking and did a lot of overeating well past the end of my planned eating window. :frowning: Since I don’t have any junk food options in the house like chips, candy, cookies, it was a “binge” on cheese, trail mix, egg salad and lemonade. :upside_down_face: I don’t like where the scale is heading or how my body feels.

My goal is to fast all day today and break my fast in about 28-32 hours (tomorrow afternoon/evening). I will also be tossing out the leftover high carb Thanksgiving foods that I don’t normally eat. I hate throwing away leftover food, but it has to be done for my health. Those are my two big challenges for today!

I am still thinking about my ultimate weight loss goals and losing those last 20 lbs. I definitely realize that I have hit a plateau, but I’m not too discouraged since maintaining my weight loss forever is the ultimate goal.

I have several promising options for small simple changes that I can experiment with to see what’s effective for maintaining at a lower weight. That’s very motivating as well.

6 Likes

No junk options at home like chips candies cookies! How do you do that? You are my new hero :woman_superhero: :superhero:

Good luck on your 2 goal. Please keep us posted on your small changes to maintain weight!

Cheers
Maga

3 Likes

Lol, @maga nothing heroic about it! I did not realize this until your post, but I think food addiction creates this weird amnesia around junk food. I always eat too much of it and it always gives me hours of excruciating and unpleasant side effects that I somehow just ignore or forget about. :nauseated_face::skull_and_crossbones:

I think keeping a regular journal and reading other people’s journals has started to pierce that mental fog. Now it feels like I’m developing a bit of an unconscious hesitation/caution just thinking about certain things that I tend to binge on.

3 Likes

Completed a 32 hour fast and then had a 7 hour eating window today. I managed to toss the bread sticks in the trash, but I ate the rest of the high carb leftovers.

I’m definitely feeling too full, but not painfully stuffed. Based on how I’m feeling right now, I will probably be fasting until lunch time on Tuesday (about 40 hours).

4 Likes

I think a lot of us have had high carb days lately! Holidays + winter months… perhaps…

Great work on 32 hour fast. I Look forward to getting past 20 hours again soon!

2 Likes

I’m 27 hours into my fast. My stomach is very quiet right now. I can tell that my digestive system is happy with me right now and appreciates the break. The downside is that I am also retaining a lot of water and dealing with sinus pain/pressure.

I doubt I will have any issue reaching 40 hours.

4 Likes

Ugh sinus pressure! I’m in enough sinus mayhem for both of us! Make yours go away! :rofl::yum: hope you feel better soon!

1 Like

Well, 40 hours came and went and I wasn’t at all hungry and definitely didn’t feel like cooking. I waited another hour and then had some beef broth. Then finally ate a small plate of food and some granola.

I honestly think I could have fasted for several more hours, but I really want to get better at judging my portion sizes so I don’t feel so uncomfortably full when I eat. I hate feeling like I’m undoing the successful progress I’m making when fasting with needless overeating during my eating windows.

2 Likes

I agree and relate to what you said about trying to figure out the best portion sizes! I also hate that feeling of “undoing the successful progress.” I think it can be challenging losing weight and for me the biggest challenge is trying to maintain the healthy weight when I get there :frowning_face: (aka portion sizes).

You’re doing great and I’m rooting for you! :confetti_ball: We got this! :muscle:t3: :100: :fire:

2 Likes

Lol, thanks @Kristy! The discomfort is only on one side of my head now, so maybe that means it’s on its way out. I hope you find some relief soon too! I don’t know why but being sick in a way that impacts multiple senses at once is particularly disorienting and hard to cope with.

1 Like