Quitting Sugar Challenge

Quitting sugar for the first time, the first week is by far the hardest with feeling sad, feeling irritable, getting headachy, how are you feeling and which day are you on?

2 Likes

I need to do this or I will not get the best results or even cure my food addiction . Plan was to do 21 water fast then go to Omad keto . As long as I have sweetener this is not going to happen

2 Likes

My goal is to quit sugar with this fast. Thatā€™s something that came up for me. I will stick to whole foods and try not to add any sweeteners to my tea, beverages, or morning oatmeal.

2 Likes

Well, have you tried monk fruit sweetener? Itā€™s important to detox from anything sweet for a while, but after that, once youā€™re kind of over sweet stuff, thereā€™s nothing THAT wrong with monk fruit + erythritol sweetener like this one: https://amzn.to/320skGr

Once you quit sugar, a couple months later you can replace with this one if you want it occasionally. Itā€™s the one I use. Doesnā€™t spike insulin, 0 calories, 0 net carbs, diabetic friendly, etc.

3 Likes

Yes thatā€™s a fantastic idea! I never have sweeteners in my food except if Iā€™m making a keto treat once in a while with the monk fruit + erythritol sweetener I mentioned to Marg above!

2 Likes

I quit sugar at the start of 2017. I did it as part of a complete diet rehab. Going from a cycle of starvation and junk food to a healthy diet of unprocessed, sugar-free food was a game changer for me. I lost about 100 lbs in one year. After 18 months, I had lost about 120 lbs, but then hit a serious plateau, with another 50 lbs to get to a healthy bmi. Iā€™ve been on that plateau for a long time, and now trying to find ways off of it. Iā€™ve been trying short fasts, but now I think I want to go keto for a while, with some short fasts mixed in.

2 Likes

Did you look into workouts to add lean muscle mass to raise your metabolic rate? Thatā€™s what Iā€™m in the process of doing now and the starting a 21-day water fast on 1/20.

I got back into cross country skiing at the end of 2018. During summer of 2019 I began cycling - did 5,000 km of cycling in about 4 months. Iā€™ve found that extreme cardio just drives my appetite up, beyond control, but I love it anyway. Cycling put so much muscle on my legs, so fast, that one day I was taking off my socks and got spooked, because I thought someone else was sneaking up behind me - didnā€™t recognize my own leg because it had changed shape so drastically.
I believe that cycling put about 5 or 6 lbs of muscle on me in just one summer. Sadly, cross country ski season seems to be very delayed because of climate change - it rained today. Iā€™m still working the angles available to me. I will be buying a lot of spinach, romaine, salsa ingredients, and ground meat in about 8 hours to start my keto experiments.

I understand about cycling putting on leg muscle. I used to cycle a lot during my early university years for stress relief. I gave it up because my legs were getting so big I was having to buy pants 2 sizes larger than my actual waist to fit my thighs.

Hereā€™s a story. I went to UCLA and thereā€™s a bike path in the nearby city of Santa Monica that runs along the beach. One day, on a cloudy day I was making my way back to my college dorm on the bike path when this black guy pulled up alongside of me. We just looked at each other, grinned and then both of us gunned it.

We raced for several miles until we hit a natural transition between the beach and some intervening city blocks. I got up on my pedals and sprinted for the natural cement pillars that marked the end of the beach cycle path and the start of the city street. As I stopped the other cyclist pulled up and as he unfolded his long frame to stand up, I kept looking up.

It was the famous retired professional basketball player Wilt ā€œthe Stiltā€ Chamberlain! He took off his helmet, looked down at me from his 7ā€™1ā€ height, grinned and said ā€œNice race, man!ā€ Got back on his bike and pedaled away. I just stood there picking up my jaw from the ground in awe.

Look forward to your experiments with Keto recipes since my new goal after becoming ā€œmedication freeā€ is seeing if a 60 y.o. Dude can have a 6-pack.

2 Likes

Great cycling story! Iā€™ve had a few impromptu races with other cyclists - always very exciting. Today was my first day keto. It was easier than expected, but (as I said) I already cut sugar our a few years ago. The odd part was figuring out how much to eat because without some bread or potatoes to glue everything together, my tummy didnā€™t feel like it was filling up. I decided to throw some Metamucil in there as a binding agent and whoa - I ate way too much. As the Metamucil expanded in between the real food, I felt like a had a giant ball of dough raising in my belly.
Iā€™ll try to portion more mindfully tomorrow. I had no idea how much romaine and spinach I could eat. Itā€™s just the first day, but once that first meal-bloat experience passed, I did feel a bit ā€˜differentā€™ as I worked my shift. I didnā€™t feel as much energy at the start, but I had more energy at the end. I think this diet burns slower and longer than a carb based one.

Well, the romaine & spinach contain fiber which digest slower and is the reason they have a lower GI index rating.

Btw, I was told to stay away from potatoes :potato: until I learned the trick of boiling them, putting them in the fridge overnight which changes the starch composition to ā€œresistantā€ starch. Resistant starch is indigestible and passes through the GI tract, lowers the GI index of the potato and feeds the gut bacteria on its way out. Thought you should know if you want to diversify your meal and love potatoes as much as I do. Lol

3 Likes

Iā€™ve heard this about potatoes. Iā€™m havenā€™t adopted it as a belief as yet - just something I heard. Weā€™ll see. I only get one day off a week now, so fasting isnā€™t really an option - I have to eat a small amount as part of my job - so Iā€™ll just be experimenting with keto until I get a normal schedule.

2 Likes