Questions regarding Keto diet

@Anna What do you think of this Yale study on the keto diet?

Could you send me a link to the whole article?
It’s hard to say right away since they’re only talking about mice, and although humans and mice have shown many similarities in diet effects there’s also many differences!

1 Like

I’ll ask the original poster, she only posted this fragment.

1 Like

@Anna Here you go!

Thank you!
Since I can’t get access to the whole study without going through an institution I can’t tell who the founder of the study is and if there are any economic interests involved in doing this study.

Just reading it, I would say that it’s not surprising to me, because science is lacking in the long term effects.
There are many doctors (who are still supporting water fasting) that disagree with the ketogenic diet as a lifestyle. Shorter periods of being in Ketosis are showing many benefits, but long periods are believed to do damage in some processes in the body.

Fat is also a waaaay easier to store compared to complex carbohydrates or protein. When you eat fat, it comes in a very similar molecule as what the body is storing as body fat. Complex carbohydrates and protein has a very different molecule structure that takes energy for the body to convert into fat. It’s a process called De Novo Lipogenesis, and although mice and pigs or other studied animals are very efficient in converting carbohydrates into lipids, all human studies are showing the opposite results; it’s a very inefficient process that the human body almost never enters.
It’s a spread misconception, because of these early animal studies, that media and many diet promoters with economic interests are using in their programs.
Instead, when we eat a surplus or calories, the body will choose to store the fat we have eaten in that meal or day, and choose to only use carbohydrates and protein as fuel. The excess calories that aren’t used will go through different processes. Almost all excess fats get stored in fat and muscle cells, excess carbohydrates will be stored as glycogen in our muscles and liver, while the excess protein while be burnt off by raising the body temperature through thermogenesis.

This is where many people are confused, because they see for example pizza as a carb-food that makes them fat, but when we look at studies, it’s the fat in the pizza that gets stored as body fat, while the carbohydrates and protein are being used or burnt off.

I want to add though that SIMPLE sugars are a different molecule that complex carbohydrates, and has been shown to be converted in to lipids in our liver, which causes fatty liver. An example of a simple sugar is refined white sugars, while complex carbohydrates are things as starches.

1 Like

Agreed that animal studies results have been manipulated for economic gain. I like to point this out on the topic of autophagy. A lot of people say they can access it through I.F. Whereas the research scientists point out that the mouse studies are based on a mouse’s metabolism which is vastly faster than ours. It’s one of the reasons, from personal experience, I usually don’t do fasts less than 7 days.

2 Likes

In his book The Obesity Code, the first thing Jason Fung talks about it that he will talk about Human studies since we are talking about Humans and he won’t mention animal studies, etc. It’s funny how it’s the main point right at the beginning of his book!

I haven’t read the article you posted yet, but just reminded me of this book!! :pray:

2 Likes

Actually animal studies are useful in understanding processes. It’s in extrapolating the timing of those processes in comparing them to humans that people need to be wary of.

In the Science of Fasting documentary, scientists came to understand the fasting process by studying Emperor Penguins, in which the male penguins sit on eggs for up to 7 months while the female hunts for food living off their body fat. Nature tends to repeat successful systems throughout her creatiions:

1 Like