My 40 day fasting journal

Day 1 - I’ve done extended fasts before and kept the weight off (I continued losing weight after my 2018/2019 25 day fast and that refeed). Then the pandemic hit, and I gained some of that weight back. I fasted 25 days (goal was 28 days) in May 2020 and got to 54kg, at which point, I had an unplanned refeed because of what felt like a weak heart beat which then triggered an anxiety attack late at night. I broke my fast with whatever I was able to find (can’t remember now, most likely nuts) and then over the subsequent days was unable to control my hunger or continue on the ADF plan I used after my first extended fast. Day 1 simply felt too hard, or would be “tomorrow”.
As a result, my weight went back up, then down, then up again but never stabilised at the 57kg it did in 2019. I’ve had so many “F*@% it” moments over the 3 lockdowns here and I’m probably around 73Kg now (too sacred to step on the scales but will when AF starts and some of the bloat goes away (over the weekend, probably)).
I hadn’t intended to start this fast today, so I had some MCT oil in coffee with sweetener and creamer and a cup of tea with milk this morning, but I’ve been slammed with work and client calls all day, by the time 6:30 rolled around, I realised I hadn’t eaten and decided to start today instead of Friday (albeit the tea and coffees mean today has been a gentle start to what I would like to keep as a clean water fast). I mentally struggle with days 1,3, and 4 and have really been struggling to start this extended fast since Autumn. Day 1 never used to feel this hard.
I’ve got some store bought bone broth ready for if my heart feels weak again, and will try that first - pretty sure it was an electrolyte issue as my period was due at that time and eating made it go away. I admit, it freaked me out though which may be why I’ve struggled to go beyond 10 days since December despite the many planned fasts.
Tomorrow I’ll be sat in the hairdresser’s chair having my hair dyed and cut - this is usually a 3 hour job, followed by my second COVID shot in the evening so I’ll keep distracted. I have some client work to do, although if I move that to Friday (day 3) I’ll have another busy day like today and on one of my hardest days. I have no plans to leave my bed on Saturday or change out of my PJs. Other than making a black coffee and water refills, I’ll busy myself napping and watching Netflix (and updating my journal). Wish me luck.

2 Likes

Thinking about food a lot today. It’s gone 3pm and I knew today would be crappy. If I can get to 6pm then that’s another day down.

1 Like

I’ve been in bed (and still am in bed) with a fever, headache, cough and tiredness all weekend. COVID shot side effects. Hopefully I’ll feel normal tomorrow and will have a more eventful update.

Hope you feel better soon !! :bouquet::two_hearts:

Thank you!

I woke up feeling better today but I had a lot of work to catch up on and now, having worked 8 hours straight without a break, I feel crappy again. On the upside I’m not thinking about food and haven’t felt hungry. Having a lie down now, if I feel better, I will go get some fresh air after the family have had dinner. Between lockdown and fear of being judged for my weight gain, I haven’t been out much. I will go for a daily walk again now the sun is shining (or should be) at lunch times.