Finding the Middle Way

Heheheh I need some evil evacuation! BEGONE, YOU ARE PURGED.

1 Like

Cross posted from @Miramar in her 45 day challenge:

So I’ve been trying to get around to a goal. Right now, I’m really focusing on the One Dat at a Time mindset to get closer to the end of this 28 (?) day journey. A 45 day challenge is specific enough for me to :thinking: really start circling back to this goal thing.

Today I am 171.4, eight pounds in. I know it’s all water weight, as all my clothes still feel the same. I really want to get to Memorial Day weekend before I quit, then… then…

Okay, here it is. The Summer Solstice is on Sunday, June 20, Father’s Day. I lost my father 18 years ago to ALS, or Lou Gherig’s disease. I read a lot about dedicating your fasts TO something, not just for a body goal but something deeper, more spiritual. I dedicate this fast to my Dad, the most hilarious, endearing social butterfly I’ve ever known. (Oh shit, now I CAN’T quit :joy:)

In that vein, ONCE the planned end date is reached (cuz who can turn their back on a dedication like that, lawd), I will have 24 more days until the Solstice to gain back all my tonnage of water weight and hopefully keep the regain within reason, then keep that scale going down.

GOAL: to lose five pounds more than my weight logged by the end of this fast.

There. Ok. I think it’s reasonable, might have to do mostly OMAD and a few 36’s in those 45 days to keep up with this goal!

2 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
YES!
My dad passed at the end of 2014. I’ll dedicate this one to him too. He had multiple myeloma. But that’s not what got him in the end, he did have a great amount of discomfort/physical pain.

Tomorrow is mothers day. Mom is gone too. Should maybe consider doing something to honor her.

I’m glad you are able to set some baby goals! I think this summer is going to comprise of a bunch of fasting during the week and meals on the weekends. Which reminds me I need to do those stomach exercises today. :joy:

Y’all, I couldn’t do it. I found myself very woozy and lightheaded Saturday morning, and had too much to do this weekend to wait it out.

So I broke my fast. No regrets really, my rule is to go for goal unless I am feeling sick. In this case, my body was saying stop, so I did.

But I’m back on the wagon today, all juiced up and ready to go for the week. I’m kind of enjoying the idea of juice fasting during the weekdays with refeeds on the weekends. I managed to lose 6 pounds all told post-water weight return, so if I can do an average of 5 lbs per week using this method, I see it as being quite sustainable until I get close to goal. Plus, I can look forward to the weekends and hard hikes, which I absolutely love.

Added benefit; every time I do an extended fast, I tend to develop telogen effluvium, which is a physiological trauma induced hair loss. Typically occurs around 6-8 weeks after the bodily trauma has occurred. After my 90 days, I lost about a third of my hair. (!!!) With this plan, I have no worries of this heinous atrocity occurring! Lol.

Day 1 again, let’s gooooo.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about summer, and with the exception of someone’s birthday or big event during the week (almost non existent) I think I’m going to be doing fasts with perhaps some bone broth during the week, and eating on weekends.

I just cleaned out and got rid of a lot of food, and still have a packed freezer. I likely have enough food to get me through the whole summer!

I think I’d like to clear out my whole pantry fridge and freezer by the end of summer.

I bought a giant daikon radish and wasn’t sure how to use all the leftovers from it. Found a recipe for moolie balls - which I think I can make and freeze. And a recipe for pickled daikon.

I should set myself an allowance for food spending this summer.

1 Like

End of second day 1, down to 170.6… my brain is trying to negotiate with me again. Damn attorney in my head meat, trying to convince the jury that we should do dinners. Shut up, you dirty dumpster fire!

I NEED to see the 160s. It’s time. No more negotiations!

3 Likes

Whoops, was that really 2 weeks ago? I think I tripped and fell into a wormhole. Stop paying attention for a minute, and all this progress just slips away…

Day 2 of my weekly 72-96 hour fast. Currently at 174 and aiming for the 160s by next week. Solstice is just around the corner- I have 3 weeks to try to hit 160 even. I know that’s a lofty goal, but that’s what I want, damnit. I’ll be happy with 165. Then the next goal will be to hit the 150s. I’d love to see the 140s by August when I go out west to visit Mom in Washington state and float on the river…

1 Like

The wormhole sneaks up on all of us.

1 Like

Day 3 of 4. So close now! I can TASTE it.

Down to 171.4, let’s see if I can dip a toe into the 160s before I eat for the weekend. Then we cycle all over again come Monday. I know it will be hard to do this every week, but I’m so ready now.

I eat half the week, fast the other half. Rinse, repeat.

1 Like

Whoo! 169.8 - I can see it for a minute. Breaking fast today for the weekend, then another 3.5 day fast starts Monday night until Friday. I think changing my mindset has really helped this time around. Some hard moments squelching the interior monologue of negotiations, but I’m not allowing it no matter what.

Hoping to see the 160s next week and STAY there.

So we have this Ford Focus that has been in the shop for 6 weeks now; a squirrel literally got sucked through the engine, causing mechanical failure (BUT WHY). Our biggest mistake was getting it towed to the dealership; we assumed there were recalls and that insurance would work best with them.

Nope. 6 weeks later, an engine teardown and compression tests later, and they have found no evidence that the squirrel caused the mechanical failure besides the giant hole in the air filter where it ate through. Insurance is denying the claim, so now we’re towing it home where we can replace the engine ourselves. The thing is worth $4500, I’m not paying a dealership my everlasting soul and firstborn child to do something we can do. Should have just towed it home in the first place to diagnose and repair the thing ourselves.

Needless to say, we are without a second car, so Dustin gets to get a shiny new blue Tacoma today. He is stoked. Considering his birthday was two days ago and we’ve decided to hold off again on trying to be first time homebuyers (NH is notorious right now, and the housing market is terrifyingly expensive), it’s time to invest in vehicles that don’t go BOOM on the side of the highway.

Then it’s grillin’ time! Happy Memorial Day weekend folks!

1 Like

The fact that you can actually take on that kind of repair project is impressive. I live in Mass so I can relate to the way too hot real estate market. Nice job on the weight loss! Enjoy the grilled meats!

1 Like

I’m a former masshole. :rofl:

Haha…I left and came back…not sure what that makes me… a masstake?

2 Likes

Morning all!

I have created my own personal torture device, a reason to keep at this fasting/health/fitness thing and not laze out.

I signed up for a Spartan race.

Did one before, about 3 years ago now. It put this huge fire under my ass to keep pushing, keep working, a focal point, a goal. Once you’ve paid for a Spartan, bitch you’re IN. I have 12 weeks to get into the best possible shape, and that starts off with doing as long a fast as possible to lose this pudge first. Then it’s my favorite part: heavy lifting. I also have a goal to FINALLY be able to do a proper rope climb, but that’s a lofty goal as I have absolute trash upper body strength.

Starting weight is 177. Trying to go through to July 2.

1 Like

Heya! Day twoooooo.

I’m finally doing some adequate research into electrolytes, more specifically the many, many different kinds of magnesium. I ordered two, one L-Threonate for bioavailability, sleep and cognition, and one mix of Taurate, Malate and Glycinate for heart support (I get palpitations sometimes when fasting) and anxiety. Very excited to try these out tonight!

Also, apparently you require a metric-ass ton of sodium daily… well, two teaspoons of the pink stuff, at least. Trying to figure out how to incorporate that without literally chowing down on the stuff out of the measuring spoon. Thinking maybe low-sodium broth and add it in?

Excited to be back in the game, and I cannot wait to get out of the junky first week to the clarity beyond.

1 Like

Heh, check out this hot mess of weight gain/loss/gain/loss/gain since January!

1 Like

Day 3.

Gotta love a six pound drop, keeps me going through that rough first week.

I woke up this morning to a gentle "coo-coo"ing outside my bedroom window, and was rewarded with this lovely sight:

2 Likes

TMI Warning

I research terrible things AFTER they happen to me. This is just how I roll. Still Day 3 here, and I had… well, an episode. Kinda.

Been feeling great all morning, then I remembered I have some Matcha green tea here at work. I thought, “Oh, how exciting! A new and different flavor to break up the monotony!” It was so delicious, I practically chugged it once it cooled off.

Research completed: tea overly steeped can cause nausea on an empty stomach. Y’allllll, I almost barfed on my keyboard. I got wildly dizzy after about 15 minutes, and my brain started to swell inside my skull like a pufferfish in sight of predators. My ears started ringing, and if I moved my head I KNEW I’d yak everywhere. So I did the only thing I could do; chugged about a teaspoon of my condensed liquid electrolytes (Hi-Lyte) diluted with a couple ounces of water, parked my butt in my chair, and I did. Not. Move.

After about 45 minutes, the electrolytes started working their magic again, and I could move my eyes a bit. I started feeling well enough to sip more water and go to “lunch”. About 30 minutes into my break, sirens started going off in my head. I’ve learned the #1 cardinal rule of fasting: DO NOT TRUST A FART. I was so proud of myself; I didn’t!

I marched straight to the nearby porta-potty, parked in the sweltering sunlight and filled with a horde of angst-ridden dragon-sized houseflies, and I ruined that porta-potty.

Came back to re-read my Hi-Lyte label, and saw that I had pretty much overdosed on it in my haste to lessen my symptoms:

Well, oops. Another valuable lesson learned. Thank you, fasting universe. You’re never well-read enough.

I feel much better now.

2 Likes

Day 7.

167.6!

I beat my first goal of hitting 169 on Sunday by over a half pound. Back to the work grind today. A lot on my plate, staying busy is good.

9.4 pounds lost this week! This is great motivation to continue. I managed to make it through the weekend without any major dizzy spells, even biked 7 miles on Saturday. I bought a Fitbit which is helping me keep track of my heart rate, I am LOVING this thing (on sale for $99 on Amazon) so much more than the cheap knockoff brands I’ve tried before. It satisfies my deep obsession for data.

Almost 1/3rd of the way through this thing. Hunger is almost completely gone, but when it visits, it’s not overstaying its welcome too much. I know the first week is the biggest bear, so I am very much looking forward to getting into autopilot on this journey. I’ve already started to automatically meditate several times throughout the day in various circumstances; in the car, sitting outside listening to the birds, when I notice a craving.

I’m reaching the spiritual part of the fast, and I’m so happy I made it this far.

Day 9

Bam!! So excited! One more week to go. After that, it’s game on in terms of physical training for my upcoming Spartan Sprint in September. I need a lot of strength gains to conquer the obstacles. Reading up on compound lifting and planning out my workout schedule for the next few months. I am SO excited to get some muscle definition!

1 Like