Fasting for SIBO

Hi I’m new to this forum, and I would like to use this as a tool for me to be accountable for my 3 Day water fast. My experience with fasting has been pretty awesome. 10 years ago I was in college I did a four-day fast and that was no big deal at all. Throughout the last 10 years I’ve done multiple days of intermittent fasting simply because I always felt better waking up the next morning with an empty stomach hungry for a good meal.

This time I am doing a 3-day water fast because my gut needs a reset from 2 months of an undiagnosed SIBO that me as manifested by bouts stressful events in my life. I know that it’s sibo because I exhibit all the classic symptoms of this gut issue. And I have done so much journaling on my own to know that it’s from an overgrowth of bad bacteria in the small intestines that I need to starve these bad boys in order to eliminate it for good so I can be back to my normal healthy self.

The reason why I’m having to use this forum for my water fast is because I found that it’s been extremely difficult to do a water fast for longer than 24 hours during the pandemic where I am having to stay at home (with my mom who is always gorging on yummy food) so much of the time whereas before I had places to go and I could entertain myself or distract my thinking to combat the thoughts of wanting to eat.

Here’s to hoping for a successful fasting Journey that involves 3 days of water fast followed by 3 days of juice fast followed by a few weeks of low f o d m a p diet to completely rid myself of this annoying illness once and for all.

3 Likes

Writing a quick journal while I’m on lunch at work. Normally I would be grabbing a snack or two that are laid out on a table for everyone to eat but today I’m watching every one else get theirs. It honestly doesn’t phase me because even looking at the food makes me have a bad taste in my mouth.

Right now I’m feeling completely fine just really exhausted from a lack of sleep. I’ve been sleep deprived for months and I’m really looking forward to having a gut reset so I can begin my healing process.

I’m hoping my water fast will not make my sleep patterns even worse than it already is. But I have faith that God will be right next to me during difficult hours of the night when I’m the most tempted, vulnerable, depleted, hungry, tired, and lonely. Im extremely thankful for this fasting community to allow me to write out my emotions and thoughts in daily journals so once I’m done with what I have to do I can look back and appreciate those small moments of victory!

2 Likes

It’s 2:18am. Of course I’m not able to get back to sleep, but all is good, my mind is clear, I’m not feeling hungry, and I have a good grip on my impulsivity where I’m not going for food upon waking in the middle of the night instead I’m meditating and journaling. Listening to relaxing piano music really helps to calm my stressed mind.

I have an earlier shift today at 7:30am. I’m hopeful today’s water fast will go well as I practice more mindfulness and self control while putting all my trust in God to give me the strength I need to get through each hour of the day without replenishing my body with food but His word and guidance.

2 Likes

You’ll find many on here who practice for their faith. Good luck and welcome. Please know this is a safe space to be vulnerable. Welcome!

2 Likes

Hi Kristy, thank you for the warm welcome. :slight_smile: My faith is extremely important to me, I’m glad to hear many on here practice for the same reason.

1 Like

Day 3

It’s about 1am, I’m tired but can’t fall back sleep. I went to bed before 8pm, was super exhausted from work, woke up in the middle of the night bc I kept hearing the sound of my heart pulsating. My heart rate was at 48bpm before I went to bed, which is the lowest I’d ever had. This morning my bp was 101/59 pulse: 60 so I didn’t have any concern.

This is my last day of my 3-day fast. I would love for the fast to be longer but I’ll save that for another time when I’m in better health and when I have had time to learn more about how to do water fasting properly.

1 Like