Delujabelle's fasting diary

Hi,

Today is day 0. I am embarking on an undefined length waterfast. I am aiming for 400 hours (16 days) but will feel satisfied with 200 hours (8 days).

My reasons for this fast are that I am about to have some life changing things happen and I am wanting to prepare myself mentally and physically. I need to rid myself of addiction to food, nicotine, caffeine and get back to a blank slate.

I have some concerns that could prevent me from completing this. i am particularly worried about my bone health. I have low bone density and I’m not sure if this is a good idea. I am also getting over a bad cough.

I will take it day by day and see how I feel.

The plan is only water, tea, electrolytes, and occasional black coffee. I’m thinking about having some milk in my tea to alleviate my bone health concerns but I’m not sure if that’s a good idea. Any advice is appreciated.

1 Like

Here we go. Day 1.
I feel a little unprepared. I’m not sure what electrolytes I have on hand. But I stepped on the scale this morning and it’s clear I have to do this.
I’ve had rough starts in the past and this is the first time in a long time I’ve been mentally ready and physically ready, but not materially ready. So I’ll take it.

You must hang on there first 3 days and it will get much easier. As you go you might want to study with Sten Ekberg’s Youtube videos to get kognitive support. To start with search for " What Happens When You’re In Ketosis" from Sten’s channel. Water fasting equals ketosis.
I would recommend to order some of Acetyl L-Carnitine. The one with Acetyl in the beginning of the name goes through the brain barrier effectively helping the brain function. Mechanism is not exactly known but there is lot of experience about it. I have first hand experience of that thing and out of 20 different supplements I tried it was only that really made difference. So you don’t need to spend to anything else necessary. Your 16 days is bit short, of course depending on where you come from but you mentioned you have some weight. Namely right at 3 weeks mark starts the best part of water fasting. Brain gets clear and physical performance has been fully adapted and feels normal. It is because the brain has changed the fuel from sugar to b-hydroxybutyrate as much as it can which is not quite jet the case at 16 day mark. At 3 week mark body has swithed fully to natural survival mode. You don’t need to worry about any bone things as the body goes into totally different survival mode and recycles and rebuilds all the nutrients - as it does normally too but less efficiently. It is important to take physically easy. Light 30min jogging and long walks are very much ok. I try to put on an image which is from a reseach paper from 1969 as they were able to measure the b-hydroxybutyrate directly from bloodstream of 11 obese fasting people. They fasted 40 days.The name of the paper already says a lot, because the liver and kidneys together make a magic substance meant only for the brain called b-hydroxybutyrate:
Liver and kidney metabolism during prolonged starvation
This is where it can be found: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/5773093/
Anyone considering water fasting should have that background knowledge to be able to contemplate the time they gonna fast. Here is the core of the paper: