30 Day Waterfasting journal (March 2023 for fasting!)

About me
38 year old male, 6’1, (185 cm) struggled with weight whole life; weighted 130 kg in March 2021, dropped to 100kg and have maintained since.

Very active, recently did some ultra marathons (50k , and 100k), injured myself and using the opportunity to properly give water fasting a go. It’s much harder to run when carrying excess fat, goal weight 75-77kg.

I want to experience all the health benefits as well as lose this fat sustainably with minimum degradation to lean body mass. Research points me to the benefits of water fasting… have tried before but never lasted past day 4.

This will take a lot of courage and willpower and keeping this journal is my way of keeping myself accountable and sharing my progress.

Will take electrolyte tablets and magnesium supplement along the way, some pink Himalayan salt as well.

Will be having black coffee / tea occasionally.

Weighing myself every morning after using the bathroom and before drinking water.

Progress photos and weight
Day 1: March 1st 2023
Weight: 98.7 kg (217 lbs)

Anterior and Laterial body view:

Todays thoughts:

I feel great, not hungry at all, but nervous because I know this is going to be tough! Must not give in to temptation; especially the first few days.

I went for a 7km walk and will drink more water, take electrolytes and salt if I feel hungry.

Got to not think about food and remember my WHY every time temptation creeps in, I can do this!

Weight: March 2nd 2023

96.8 kg (213 lbs)

Prior weigh in (+/-):
-1.9kg (-4.18 lbs)

Aggregate difference from day 1 (+/-):
-1.9kg (-4.18 lbs)

Todays thoughts
I feel great, and it’s not just subjective, surprised how well my sleep was. Lowest resting heart rate in months, HRV balanced, and training readiness is 100/100

Temptations to eat around the 16-24 hour mark last night (day 1), I took some electrolytes, pink Himalayan salt in water , and sipped on a can of Sapporo calorie free beer. It just helped psychologically more than anything and I realised it’s the behaviour driving me to eat more than hunger, surprisingly.

I must be more fat adapted than I thought.

Sleep felt good, a bit of heaviness in the head for lack of a better word, perhaps it’s alertness, but my sleep quality was 94/100 according to tracker. Did urinate a good amount this morning, expected to happen along with the carb loss, hydration seems good as slightly yellow urine

Went for a 5k walk this morning and sipped on a little black coffee, did some stretches and 20 push-ups.

Goal today: No sudden and explosive movements, slow and steady, taking 2-3 electrolytes throughout the day and maybe some pink salt, keeping hydrated or course.

Weight: March 3rd 2023

25.9% Body fat
96.2 kg (212 lbs)

Thoughts

Great sleep again and HRV shows improvement, resting heart rate 43 :+1:t3:

Made it to day 3! Just need to keep it up, nothing complicated. Keep drinking and electrolytes, go for walk.

Update: Restarting day 1
Broke fast yesterday, and ended up eating big meals. Restarting today for the remaining month of March (27 days) let’s go!

Weight
98.4 kg
26.5% BF
Uploading: F9426465-B725-4491-83B2-67AE119BDF83.jpeg…
Thoughts
Broke fast, it happened , wasn’t even too hungry, just out of habit. Must be stronger minded and drink water next time tempted.

Day 1 let’s go! Starting with some light exercise to burn off that Stored energy

The extended water fast is hard I did 32 days so far and there were some days in there that weren’t just water or coffee. I had a few cheat days or so. Wanting to go at least 40 days or more possibly 60, 90 or 120, 150 or 180. I am afraid of mucsle loss though at my age and past diets where I possibly lost muscle anyway and according to my body scale which I don’t know if they are accurate is telling me I lost some muscle already and no subcutaneous fat but some visceral fat.