(Un)Well on Netflix

Has anyone watched the fasting episode of (Un)Well on Netflix? I thought it was fairly balanced. I wasn’t expecting it to be. And maybe they were intending it to be more negative about fasting than I interpreted it to be.

I enjoyed the information from Dr. Longo and appreciate his science-based approach to fasting. I would have happily heard more from him.

There was also a woman fasting at True North fasting center. I’d like to know more about what happens in the future with her. There’s an account of a man at Tanglewood who fasted down to 90 lbs, left the fasting center against their advice, fell down some stairs and died. It’s a sad story, but it sounds like there’s plenty of blame to go around. I don’t think the fasting center could force him to stay, but I can’t fathom how disturbed one must be to pretty much starve himself to death. His wife blames the center. I think she’s wrong. The center claims they’re totally innocent. I don’t think they really are.

I found the dietitian a bit annoying, and also uninformed. But I tend to think dietitians aren’t very bright or well-educated as a matter of form so that may just be my prejudice. Yes, intuitive eating is a great idea. It’s what normal weight people probably do. It isn’t what fat people do. We don’t have the intuition. It’s useless for us or we wouldn’t be fat in the first place. Oh, I’ll just stop eating when I’m no longer hungry…I never thought of that. Thanks for the advice. And she didn’t at all address the benefits of fasting for health or spirituality.

I think the knock on the noggen was the nail in the coffin. Somebody should have accompanied the man out.

Didn’t sound like the wife was really on board or that she had been educated in what was happening.

90 some pounds is an unsafe weight for that guy to fast to. I’ve never read any science that supports fasting that extremely.

I DO believe fasting has many benefits, but for me personally, I try to follow what evidence science has presented. Unfortunately there’s still a long way to go regarding research in this area, but it seems like the research Dr. Jung has presented so far is pretty solid.

That being said, he recommends limiting extended fasts; off the top of my head I believe he advises 7 day fasts once monthly, 14 day fasts once every six weeks, and no fasts longer than 30 days. As with any other choice when it comes to diet, it’s about weighing the risks and benefits.

Sure I’m fasting to lose weight ( it’s a nice bonus), but I’m mainly fasting for my health. I think it’s important to maintain a healthy weight no matter what diet you’re attempting though, and there’s no way that guy was at a healthy weight. It also sounds like he had some sort of mental break or something. Yes, I tend to think the fasting center is to blame here. He was clearly fasting in an unhealthy manner and they should have seen that.

The way I understand it, fasting is not starvation. To paraphrase what I took from reading the science behind it (from multiple sources, but mostly Dr. Jung and Dr. Greger), fasting is a complete lack of food. Starving is very little food stretched out over a period of time. Your body reacts to that differently. I also feel the dietitian is a bit uninformed, but I think she’s looking at it from the perspective of people who are in the cycle of binging-fasting to “undo” the binge-binging again, which is still disordered eating, just with fasting involved.

There’s safe fasting and there’s unsafe fasting, and there’s beneficial fasting and there’s disordered fasting. I think it’s important to differentiate between the two.

2 Likes

Okay, I’m still watching this episode. That fasting center recommended fasting for a two year old?!? Yeah, they’re full of @#&%. Science doesn’t support his method at all. This guy is giving fasting a bad name. @#$* this guy. This episode is just making me mad now.

1 Like

I just watched this episode and I agree that the dietician was a bit annoying. I don’t agree that intuitive eating approach works for everyone… I also think that the Tanglewood director should have never left that man alone in a hotel room. At the very least, someone should have spent the night with him…and the man who died should not have been at the low weight of 90 pounds. But I doubt Tanglewood would admit to any wrongdoing in a documentary. I think someone could have at least contacted the man’s wife to report the man’s erractic behavior. It was so sad to learn about this man’s death which could have been prevented in my opinion.

One of the doctor’s said it well, water fasting can be miserable…but I think it is a small price to pay for improved health and healing. Fasting is a powerful tool.

I forgot about the 2 year old. That was crazy. What were the parents thinking?