Mary Joy's (3 consecutive ) 21 day Water Fasts

Plain water and/or icecubes really is the best.

1 Like

YUP!!! Totally agree. So, what is your plan now? Fasting-Wise? Are you at the weight that your body is comfy with? Do tell!

1 Like

Day 15 of my 21 day water fastā€¦Did I mention this is the 1st of 3 consecutive 21 day water fast I am doing, with a one week refeed in between? I can not remember, and have noooo desire to scroll through and see what the heck I told yaā€™ll. Sorry, if I am redundant.So, yeah, I am now on the last week of this fast, and it has been an eye-opening journey. I have become very aware that I use food to drug myself against my mental, habitual pain. This fast showed me that I do not have to react and grab food to numb out. I can just breathe and wait, and the pain becomes no longer a threat. I can look in the mirror and smile and watch that I do not use hateful words toward myself. I am actually training myself to smile into the mirror and give myself some love, as if my mirrored self is a child who desperately needs my attention, care and approval. The only way out of the hole of despair and depression is through my own efforts, I will not be rescured by a prince, lol. And I watched, throughout these two weeks, how my body is healing my right knee, which feels more and more normal every single day. I have had insomnia for a very long time, it is horrible. Somehow, before the fast, which was one of my excuses to not begin at all, was the belief that fasting causees one not to sleep. But, I prepared myself by having Magnesium on hand. I do not take this anymore. I do not need it. I sleep like never before. I can not remember the last time I have consistently slept through the night, and now I amā€¦every night. It is glorious! I go to bed before 12 midnight, lay down, and that is that. Wow. It feels like a miracle.
I made yummy food for my grandkids today and had no desire to try them. I feel really in the zone, just coasting along. I would, actually go longer than 21 days, but I have a yoga retreat, from July 10th until the 12th, and really this place has such fantastic food, I want to try it. And you know what? I think to quickly drop this 60 lbs., ASAP, can be done using three 21 day fasts, one after the other, with a very precise, nutritionally rich refeed week. It is doable. After those first 5 days are done, I will be use to it again. I will have 2 more months of potentially ā€œhardā€ fasting to do, and then my knees, mind and whatever else wants to heal will be given free reign to heal! I like experiments, and this next year, I will be doing Keto, plus weekly, regular intermittent fasting, in order to see if it heals my Hashimotos. I actually have two great books about using a ā€œPaleoā€ kind of diet to reverse autoImmune dis-eases. And I actually read them, but could not come on board with the meat thing. I donā€™t eat meat, I think it is yuckyā€¦So, I will read the books again, with an open mind, to see if my prejudice against eating meat is actually keeping me from healing. The one book is written by a woman with a Ph.D in medical biophysics. The diet healed her of autoimmune disease. The book is called, THE PALEO APPROACH: Reverse Autoimmune Disease and Heal your Body. The second book I will now re-read, with an open mind, is written by a doc, who is an internist. She had advanced MS, and was rapidly going downhill. She researched and even though she had been vegetarian for decades, decided to embrace eating meat and following a Keto diet and was able to get out of the wheel chair and run races. She had been very active before the MS diagnosis. MS is an autoimmune disease. Her book is called, THE WAHLS PROTOCOL. a Radical New Way to Treat ALL Chronic Autoimmune Conditions. I HAVE decided, in the refeed weeks to include fish. For some reason fish does not gross me out, like cow, pig, lamb, fowl meat does. Weird. That is my homework, to re-read these two books in the next 2 months. I will definitely be doing a year long keto, gluten-free (bye-bye beerā€¦) diet. This is a first, and I will commit to a full year. That is my promise to myself. So, enough diet talk. I am spending the day, with the Gā€™Kids, then going to Ikea (horrible lines outside, I am groaning as I write this! 2 meter distance and only so many people inside, oh I do not look forward to it, yet have to return somethingā€¦) I plan on smiling a lot, for the rest of today, and drink a lot of water. I wish you all happy fasting and hang in there, if you have only been fasting for less than 5 days. I promise you, it does get better. If I can do it, anyone can. P.S. Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes, no time to correctā€¦

4 Likes

Interesting you are going for 7-day refeeds off of 21-day fasts. I go with the recommended half of fast length which for me was 10 days.

Look forward to reading how your body reacts.

2 Likes

Ah, today is day five of my refeed. I thought Iā€™d be able to consume more food by now but my stomach doesnā€™t want to stretch back out so quickly.

I refeed through the end of this week and going to enjoy July 4th weekend.

Then itā€™s on to ADF for 3 weeks, and by week 4 Iā€™ll decide if I need a 4-5 day fast in there.

If that works out well Iā€™ll repeat that for another month.

Then reassess.

I can go down to about 140-145, this morning Iā€™m l at 197.

Probably will kick back slightly over 200 on this refeed.

Iā€™ll be at goal by my next birthday in February.

I donā€™t have any urgency to release this weight quickly.

Depending on how all that goes Iā€™ll probably wind up OMAD in the end for maintenance.

Iā€™m experimenting as you are.

4 Likes

Yes, I heard of that and thank you for the reminder. I will use 7 days for the interval of this re-feed, until the next 21 day fast, which will start on July 13th. If I think it would help me, then I will do 10 days between the second and third 21 day fast.

1 Like

I love OMAD, but I do not love ADF. I could do it, if I must, but after I do these three 21 day fasts, I plan on doing OMAD for the month of September. If I am not releasing the rest of the extra baggage, then I will do another 21 days. I have urgency to get this extra weight gone, so I do not have to have an operation on my knee. Have a lot of fun at your seafood feast on the 4th of July. You will stick around here, wonā€™t you, while doing ADF? Your bright soul just shines through your posts. I bet you would be so much fun to hang around. You have such a kind nature.

3 Likes

Day 16 is almost DONE!! I am kinda cruising now. No euphoria, darn it. I was really dragging my butt today, but I think it was more mental. Maybe more suppressed garage trying to come up and out? OK, bring it onā€¦
I slept right through the night. I am getting deep sleep for the first time in years. I never would have thought fasting could cause me to sleep through the night. Some folks who were fasting 21 days have talked of having occational BMā€™sā€¦Not me. Nothing. I had the runs at the beginning but that is all gone. I do not remember in the past fast, that this was any different. Anyway, day 16 is almost done. Hurray. Happy Fasting.

2 Likes

@schmidtsmia aww thanks! Iā€™m even more fun after cocktails. lol, my neighbor is in a hurry for me to resume my evening elixer hour.

I donā€™t plan on going anywhere. Iā€™m not in a rush and have plenty of weight to work off. 50-60 lbs. And after that I want to have some regular autophagy pushes. Doing the ADF to start - will see how that goes. Itā€™s a lot less work to be cooking every other day which is nice. And just too darn hot here in the summer.

Giving myself a good 6-8 months to lose the rest, no stress, and enjoy the ride as we never know how long it is. I may transitition by fall into OMAD, playing it by ear.

I donā€™t believe long term keto is sustainable for me. So Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be continuing on with fasting for years to come.

I agree, if at all possible avoid the knife. I believe itā€™s possible. :wink:

3 Likes

Day 17, almost bedtimeā€¦So, practically on day 18, hurray. I am getting a plan in place for my 1 week refeed. I want to make the week very nutritious,. I am just cruising along, and do have some low energy, weakness while walking and I am still sleeping through the night. All symptoms in my right knee are gone! It is rather a miracle. I wonder what else can heal? I had shingles in Feb. this year, and a weird, leftover, punctual kind of nerve pain which is constantly there, over my shoulder blade is lessening in intenstiy. The doc told me this could take a lot of time, months to resolve. All I know, is that the sharp, nerve-like pain is getting less. Can my thyroid heal? I am certainly open to that! I am still sleeping deeply and soundly, throughout the night. Wow. Another miracle. So, good night. I am off to bed!

3 Likes

Looked into this. Shingles is caused by the varicella-roster virus, the virus that causes chickenpox. The virus causes inflammation of the nerves below the skin. I talked about how fasting improves the immune system by improving metabolic health in my Zoom presentation yesterday. So the answer is probably yes. Though it may take a consistent fasting approach. Probably similar to my recently completed 6-month ā€œ6-Pack at 60ā€ campaign that included 3 21-day fasts.

From the endocrinologist I work with at the USC medical school and a recent member who has Hashimotoā€™s Disease (thyroid-related disease), it doesnā€™t appear fasting is the solution.

1 Like

OH, I am so sorry I missed the apt. on the 30th. Darn it! I was so busy this week, I was not able to remember anything. I even wrote it down. Rats. Are you by any chance going to do the presentation again? Thank you for the info about Shingles. Yeah, the doc said it could take some time for the weird, lingering nerve pain to completely go. It has not really been resolved, in this fast, so who knows, maybe the next one? And when I fasted all those times in the past, the Hashimotoā€™s was not healed. I plan on trying the experiment of going gluten free for the next year, and see if it helpsā€¦Anthony Williams wrote a book about healing the thyroid, and I read it. He thinks it is connected to the Epstein-Barr virus, and has different stages, and one has to ā€œkillā€ this virus using a rather involved, intense and costly protocol that he outlines in the book. I do not know if I should commit to itā€¦I think I will try gluten free for the year, and if it does not do anything, then I can still do an experiment using A.W.'s protocol. I will not give up until I heal my thyroid, I do not care what any doc saysā€¦

Day 20 of my 1st 21 day fast. I am craving foods, big time!!! I will refeed soon, and all I have on my mind is food. The whole time, my inner brat had shut up, and since a yesterday woke up and has been relentless! It is like the 2-3 day of starting a fast. Yikes, I do not look forward to those first few days of a fast. I will have to really think again, at that time, about my goals.
Sorry that I could not write on the 18th-19th day of this fastā€¦I was really busy, during the day, and when evening came, all I wanted was a bath and a bed. I have sort of, to 70% planned all my refeedsā€¦I will do 2 meal a day, striving for max nutrition. I will break the fast with soupā€¦I know, no food talk here. I am not hungry, the stomach is not growling, but I am craving weird stuff, veggiesā€¦ I tried at 6 (!!!) different grocery stores to get a asian, ā€œwateryā€ veggie, and last week when I went to Lidl, and Aldi, to get dog/cat food, that wonderful veggie was there. It is always thereā€¦except for today. I almost cried, really. Oh, well. I am tempted to rush to the chinese market, 35 km. away, so I can have it in my soupā€¦No, I wonā€™t do it. I have things to do today, and it seems rather silly and neurotic. I will do with what I have and be grateful! I am sure my eyes are bigger than my stomachā€¦I have a birthday celebration to go to this evening, and I will tell the folks there, like Yasemin suggests, that I am doing a ā€œcleanseā€, lol. I also have weird thoughts, like I should not get on the scale until my 3rd round of 21 days is done, as I have doubts that my weight loss is so much, this round. I am sure it is not 25-30 lbs. I started out at 93 kg. and what if I weigh like 85 kg.? I will feel so bummed out. No one has mentioned that I look smaller, no one. I tried on, yesterday, pants that I bought a couple of years ago, when I weighed 80 kg., and they are tight, with my tummy bulge still there, complete with muffin top. I did take photos, and wil ltake them tomorrow and post them. I DID notice, last night, that the uncomfy thick, neck which got in my way, while laying on my back in bed, and felt as if I was being slowly strangled, was gone. I did not take my neck measurements at the beginning, but will do so as to the next fast. I want to thank you all, who have helped me on this journey, and to those who were kind enough to rely to my journal entries. I feel so supported by this lovely community. I am sending you all love, and a big cyber hug! Onward to day 21, and then refeed!

4 Likes

Your finish line is right there! :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

I went fishing yesterday - we didnā€™t get any fish but I found one of my tape measures in my lures bag :rofl:

I weighed in last week during refeed but took off this weekend as I didnā€™t want to think or stress over it. Tonight or tomorrow morning will be my new starting weight for phase 2 which is still undecided.

Donā€™t be shocked when you realize your eating habits have already changed from this fast. My eyes are the size of the sun and my stomach the size of the moon right now. lol, itā€™s been like a chore to eat. Stick with some nice broths the first few days for sure. I felt like my body was sucking itself in during the first few days. You will be very aware about making smart choices that can provide the most nutrients.

Actually comically Iā€™m feeling drawn to going back to fasting tomorrow.

Anyway, you should be extremely proud of yourself. Well done.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts: Thanks @Bella_Ortiz

You are sooo funny! I planned all meals out, decided on 3, IF I wanted to, and really, I do not want any more today, after miso soup and kimchi. Done. I will start my second 21 day, on the 13th, and I would be so glad if you were still here. Your posts always make me smile, except the first one, where you described all your losses, and then I wanted to hug you. Thank you for your kind words.

1 Like

Today was my first refeed, as my 21 day was done as of 12 noon. I wonā€™t discuss food here, except to say, I was not actually hungry but, I have written up my weekā€™s plan, that would allow 3 meals a day, if I want them. If it is on my plan, I will allow myself to eat it, and if not, it ainā€™t gonna pass these lips! And you know what, I am done with eating today, as of 2 meals. I am just thristy, so I will drink water until bedtime. So! I successful completed the first of three 21 day fasts, and I will refeed for a week, and begin the fast, actually next Sunday, as of 8 p.m. Next Sunday, I will be celebrating my dear sonā€™s birthday at a restaurant. We will be eating as of 6 p.m. I am going to a yoga retreat next weekend, and am so glad I wonā€™t have to go as a ten-ton-toffee person, lol. (Remember Harry Potter, when his cousin Dudley ate the Weasley twinā€™s tricked candy called, ā€œTen-Ton-Toffeeā€? So, my fellow fasters, if I can reach my goals, any person who has felt apathetic, lazy, suggish, undisciplined can. I wish us all continued success. Peace out.

2 Likes

Just checking in!

Hope your refeed is treating you well!

1 Like

Thank you for asking! I had a one week re-feed, and then I was at a Yoga Retreat, where there was no internet, and my Mobile Data was all used upā€¦oh well. I am back now, and starting my next round, :grinning: How are you?

2 Likes

DAY 1(ā€¦of second round of 21 day fasts)
I had a one week refeed, that I did keto, mostly vegan meals. I started out doing 2 meals a day, and then, after talking to Yasemin, decided that was a head-game I was unconsciously playing with myself, that I needed to eat that much to get enough ā€œnutritionā€ for the next round. I guess I have enough fat to sustain me, if I am being truly honest with myself. Was it an excuse to just eat a lot? I believe so. OK, then I went to a Yoga retreat, and I am back now, and have been fasting now for 15 hoursā€¦no biggie. My mind did want to play with me, AGAIN, by telling me to drink my coffee, with the bit of soy milk that was left in the frig! I did not fall for it, and told that voice, ā€œN-Oā€! And I froze the soy milk, which was actually more than a ā€œbitā€, lol. Day one is never that bad for me, tomorrow and the next day are using what sucksā€¦I am not really looking forward to it. But, I will just get through it, somehow. I might moan here, if that is OK. I have not gotten on the scale since I started this journey, on June 15th. I weighed, at that time 93 kg., and I am actually 167 cm. tall, which is 5ā€™5" tall. I thought I was 5ā€™4". Average height. I plan on consequently following a gluten free diet for a year, and mostly vegan, except when I eat out, and might want to have fishā€¦I am not dogmatic, I just do not like to eat chicken, beef, pork, lamb,etcā€¦ The other times I have fasted, I was unable to sustain, for long, a gluten-free lifestyle. This time I will really do it for one year, to see if it helps with Hashimotoā€™s thyroiditis. So, onward and upward. I wish all of us continued healing and success in achieving our goals. Oh, btw, my short term goal of healing my right knee, seems to be 90% achieved. Now I am concentrating on ahieving mental clarity, positivity, and release excess fears, which have caused me to overeat in the past. Long term goals are to increase longevitiy, health, and mental clarity, and release excess weight, excess fears, and come back to life, so to speak. Bye for now!

5 Likes