Helpful Books -- Overeating, Binging, Eternal Dieting, Etc

@Yasemin mentioned Brain Over Binge which I plan to read, having heard some of those podcasts. What did you think of the Rational Recovery book?

What additional books have you found helpful to deal with emotional eating?

2 Likes

I am currently reading Never Binge Again which I downloaded for free on my Kindle and you can also read for free at Never Binge Again.

So far it’s pretty good! :+1:

Also I am implementing the life planning tools taught in Living Forward: A Proven Plan to Stop Drifting and Get the Life You Want by Michael Hyatt and Daniel Harkavy. :grinning:

1 Like

After reading Never Binge Again, I ordered the workbook, I Love My Workbook, which arrived on Monday. It is very good at encouraging thoughtful answers to questions to help build motivation to stay with your personal food plan. The author, Glenn Livingston, is a psychologist who emails out helpful tips and interviews with clients to help answer common dilemmas and keep you going.

It’s been a terrific tool for me! Especially because the overeating this spring had produced predictable but unwelcome results! But, now it’s a new season and time for new results! :+1:

Another book I am reading is The Woman’s Comfort Book by Jennifer Louden. It’s full of lots of ideas and encouragement to find healthy means of self-comfort. :sunny:

2 Likes

Let me check that one out!!! Great suggestion!

I’ve been working on the Never Binge Again workbook which is helpful to me to an extent.

Here’s the thing: Unlike the author, I do NOT believe in counting calories. It’s impossible to accurately calculate calories from any given food. Dieting tends to call for reducing calories (even no matter where they come from!) and causes a lot of tension around eating. And then if you undereat, it screws up the metabolism. As Dr. Jason Fung points out in his books, fasting doesn’t negatively affect metabolism, but calorie restriction does.

Better ideas about food volume have to do with eating nutrient-dense foods and learning to recognize what is enough food to where you are satisfied and not uncomfortably full. Dr. Rob Cywes, CarbAddictionDoc on YouTube, uses a method of not filling your plate, but only taking food in small portions to your plate, and then wait to see if that was enough. (Obviously he explains it much better than I.)

The NBA book is designed to help you formulate your own eating plan and work to stick to it. If your diet is high in processed foods, you’re going to struggle because of all the excitotoxins and addictive nature of grains and sugar. So it would be easier to get rid of that first.

When I overate, it was nutrient-dense food, and I wasn’t eating out of hunger. So Never Binge Again and the workbook are useful to me in getting past all those tricky things that have worked against me in the past.

Freedom from dieting and being fat is possible! Fasting reminds us WE are in control! :muscle: