GirlGray's Daily Journal

Thought I’d give this a try…will try to document daily or a few times per week. Thank you Yasemin, for providing an outlet.

My extended fast was supposed to start Jan 1, 2020. But here we are Jan 6, 2020, and I am currently 20 hours in on my 504 hour fast (21 days). My longest fast was 5 days, so I know I can do it. I do have a lot of life stressors, so that makes it a challenge. I’m a stress eater.

I’m doing this primarily for spiritual reasons, secondary health. I’m 5’6’’, my highest weight was 240 lbs. I got down to 134 lbs (over 100 lbs lost) on my 5 day fast, but I also got myself a nice little binge eating disorder. That thing is SCARY. It’s like you just mindlessly shovel food in your mouth…scarf it down without any abandon. Scary…I hate it.

My current weight after the holidays is 154 lbs. An uncomfortable 154.

I’m going to try my hardest to overcome the binge eating and stick with the fast this time. I won’t quote a bunch of scriptures, I don’t want to turn anyone off, but I do meditate every morning and journal most nights. I’m no longer hard on myself, if I fail, I start again the next day. But I will not quit. It is my reasonable sacrifice.

I am a widowed mother of 3, with 2 kids living at home with me (oldest is grown and making his own life decisions). I was widowed (cancer) at 33, but what I experienced in 2018 almost literally sent me over a cliff. My mother passed away, a week after my birthday, at age 62. (due to lifestyle related choices surrounding food) I’m still not okay with it, but I’m healing.

Between my mother and spouse and my oldest child, my life was primarily illness and deteriorating mental health-focused for at least 10 years. I’m now ready to focus on health. So now I’m down 86 lbs. My goal at 5’6’’ is to maintain a weight between 135 -140 lbs. I want to stop the up and down roller coaster. I have lost a lot of muscle mass, so another goal for 2020 is to start weight training and rebuilding muscle.

I lean towards a Paleo diet. Keto is not 100% sustainable for me with having kids at home and the fact that I love fruit. But I do incorporate a few keto meals weekly. My body does not respond well to wheat/grains, I eat very minimal cheese, quit cow’s milk years ago. I’m a meat and veggies (and fruit) kinda gal.

I will be supplementing with water with salt as needed. I appreciate the support, a lot of the reasons why I fail is mental health related. Learning to be stronger than my thoughts/feelings.

Good luck on reaching your goals to everyone here!

6 Likes

I’ve been practicing OMAD for a number of months now. So I’m used to fasting all day while at work, and having my meal when I get home in the evening. This extended fast will be a challenge because I cook all the meals. And I’m a foodie of sorts…I have 4 new cookbooks that I’m really excited about.

So while I am fasting, I will stick to simple, quick meals to feed the kids and will have to be disciplined to not eat.

1 Like

Nice track record of accomplishments. I also like the fact you acknowledge all the potential traps to reaching your goal and have either coping strategies in place or researching for solution. I’m going to notify another senior member here who completed a 30 day fast last month as I feel she’s in a better position to help you than me @Anna.

However, I’m still available for any questions you may have or if you need to yell for help! :grin:

Welcome to the forum!
I’m really sorry to read about the losses you’ve had to got through! I don’t think anyone who haven’t been in your position would truly understand, but I hope you can find support here, not only for the fasting part, but for all the mental struggles too!

About the binge eating part, that’s something that I see many people struggle with in this forum, and I have been dealing with it for the last 2 years as well! If you’re interested, we have a little thread on that topic through this link Holidays and Overeating/Binging

Wish you all the best! You deserve to find peace and happiness :sparkles:

2 Likes

Welcome my dear. My heart goes out to you. You have had to suffer a lot and as Anna said nobody can really understand what you had to endure if they haven’t had it happen to them. You really touched my heart. You are in a safe environment here and we are all a bunch of loving people.
Bless your heart :pray::yellow_heart:

1 Like

Thank you so much for your warm welcomes. I broke my fast at 48 hours…so I have started again with Day 1 today. I did not eat the right thing when I broke my fast, and I am paying for that today. Lessons have been learned. I will continue to work on my will power and resolve to get over the hump. Onward and Upward.

2 Likes

Back on the horse! We’re failing forwards! :clap: :muscle:

1 Like

Yep, build up that fasting muscle and apply what you learned to your next fast.

Good job on sticking with it!

1 Like

I have been SO scatterbrained! Hard to focus on my work…I will hit 48 hours this evening and I’m determined to keep going. Easy dinner for the kids tonight, that I will not be cooking, so that will help me stay on track. Hoping a get some mental clarity that everyone rejoices about next week.

1 Like

Just take things slow. If you haven’t a lot of experience in fasting your body will use a lot of energy the 1st several fasts to do the switch from sugar to fat burning.

Also, you do get the mental clarity. WHEN you get it depends on the individual and their health. I didn’t get the mental clarity until after I finished my 40-day and my refeed because T2 diabetes had damaged my body and brain so much over the years. It’s only when the fast cleared out damaged and senescent cells and the refeed took all the new stem cells produced during the fast and created new cells in all my major organs did I get the mental clarity.

1 Like

Thanks, I am trying to stay mindful and keep things in perspective. I didnt sleep well last night at all and that may be contributing to the way I feel today…no sleep, no food…recipe for disaster. But anyway, TGIF, I will be able to sleep in tomorrow.

1 Like

52 hours in! I finally got over the hump! For me, the hardest part was the first 48 hours…there’s no stopping me now…unless I pass out, of course. Still dealing with slight headache, no biggie. I failed miserably at my 21 day fast in Jan. Weighed in at 148.0 this morning.

I’m starting to get the hang of talking myself out of eating. Imaging how horrible I’ll feel if I break with anything other than bone broth helps. I refuse to start this process over.

I’ve started adding salt to my coffee…definitely fuel, not fun. Also supplementing with snake juice, assorted tea and plain water. Oh and doublemint gum.

I really want to go for the whole month of Feb. My life timer says 744 hours. I really need to kick my binge eating problem.

Thanks Yasmin for sharing your mag supplement pills…I’ve got them on order from Amazon. I want to switch from snake juice to pill form. So mag and I need a good potassium pill, without the fillers.

Thank you for being here!

1 Like